Mgf 1.8 vvc good or bad

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
I've read about head gaskets but the seller said it's fine and doesn't affect his. I was just looking at them for something different to the Merc

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It's about £600 for a full replacement head gasket job - of course the sellers said it's fine and doesn't affect his...:rolleyes:

How much is he asking for it?

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
It wasn't as bad as made out. They just had a low coolant capacity so if neglected it was easy to overheat. So it doesn't mean all the 1.8Kseries engines needed a new gasket.

We had a TF 135 and it did exactly what we wanted, simple open-top motoring with enough grunt to have fun but not to stick us in a hedge backwards.

They're a bargain now really.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Head gasket issues affect all K series engines except the heavily redesigned Kavachi versions (primarily used for competitive applications).

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It wasn't as bad as made out. They just had a low coolant capacity so if neglected it was easy to overheat. So it doesn't mean all the 1.8Kseries engines needed a new gasket.

I think the problem was more about thermal shock. Due to the location of the thermostat and the long coolant runs to the front mounted radiator.

When the thermostat opens, the cold water from the radiator rushes into the engine. This causes the head to contract which rubs against the sealant on the gasket, eventually causing the sealant to wear away. This isn't helped by the fact that plastic dowels are used. With metal dowels HGF is a lot less likely, as the dowels are stronger and stop the head contracting as far.

Another well known cause of HGF are air locks which then cause hot spots in the engine. Similar to the thermostat problem, where the rushing in of cold water creates cold-spots which then makes the head contract/expand causing failure of the gasket seals. Air locks can be caused by failure to bleed the system properly or a leaky waterpump or inlet manifold gasket.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
To be fair the K series was ahead of it's time; I remember choosing my Rover 214SLi as my first car is it had 105bhp and did over 50mpg which back then was a lot for a normal 1.4 and nobody even cared that much about mpg. Were nippy and fun to drive/rev too. I bet the 1.8VVC is very fun in a sports car even if nto that fast.

One of mine did need head gasket but I think the replacement gaskets were better quality so that fixed the issue (unless as above run with a coolant leak/overheated, etc).

On that age of car a head gasket could be needed whatever it is. Even my OM603 "toughest diesel ever made" needed a head gasket and skim a few years ago; though it was 28 years old and had done 270k miles, but end of the day it's still possible to have to do it on any car and I still had to fork out the money...

OP
S

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
LK you know your stuff :)

He wants to swap for my 06 C200 cdi elegance auto est... his is a 98 R 1.8 vvc soft top.

I was after some fun driving for a change..

Racersedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A4
I have been borrowing an MGTF 1.8 160 for the last 6 weeks (to be returned tomorrow now I’ve finally bought a replacement car) and I can tell you they are engaging enough when driven hard. It’s back to basics motoring. VERY skittish though and swaps ends VERY easily in the damp so be careful. I wouldn’t call it a well handling car. Fun though.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I have been borrowing an MGTF 1.8 160 for the last 6 weeks (to be returned tomorrow now I’ve finally bought a replacement car) and I can tell you they are engaging enough when driven hard. It’s back to basics motoring. VERY skittish though and swaps ends VERY easily in the damp so be careful. I wouldn’t call it a well handling car. Fun though.

I drove one a few years back, probably '98 ish and my impression was that it was quite a poorly made car, noisy and didn't particularly handle very well :(

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
id go for a TF if I was you pal , I had 2 of these a few years back , both had had there HG's uprated and neither broke down , the TF doesn't have that silly suspension either , they are shockingly built but very good fun to drive , im over 6" and was perfectly comfy in one too

Last edited:

Racersedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A4
I drove one a few years back, probably '98 ish and my impression was that it was quite a poorly made car, noisy and didn't particularly handle very well :(

I’d definitely agree, but that doesn’t stop it being fun. Small and light (compared to modern small cars) are always good combos. I wouldn’t wanna crash in one though!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
98 would have been an MGF with the daft hyrogas suspension. I think anyway.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Get an MX5 rather than the MG.

Loads around.
Cheap.
Reliable.
Fun.

Recently did a drift day in mx5, (lots of fun, and kind of harder than you think) - the guy said they take punishment all day long

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Loads around.
Cheap.
Reliable.
Fun.

Recently did a drift day in mx5, (lots of fun, and kind of harder than you think) - the guy said they take punishment all day long
Get an SLK and stay loyal :p:D

OP
S

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k

Loads around.
Cheap.
Reliable.
Fun.

I would but it's the mg that I'm being offered, don't know if I said at the start, if I didn't I meant to.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom