I've just bought a bunch of tools to DIY..

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The only time I've worn gloves working on a car was removing red hot parts whilst doing rally servicing. In general I don't get on with them as they reduce feel and in my view increase the chance of slipping injuries.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I also received my gloves. They are nice and will work well but I would probably prefer a little more padding on the finger for pulling at things. Also there are no knuckle guards... and I can imaging just hitting my knuckles off something while working inside and it hurting like a *****.. Will probably order something stronger.
Knocking knuckles off is a rite of passage :rolleyes::D:p

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Or grinding them .... ;)
That's was just rushing muppetry, helping take apart a hot tub cabin. It was a 1mm cutting disc, went straight to the bone without issue :oops:

I did get a nice wire brush rash on my left arm when using my angle grinder 1 handed to clean up winter steel wheels for the VW, that smarted a tad

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That's was just rushing muppetry, helping take apart a hot tub cabin. It was a 1mm cutting disc, went straight to the bone without issue :oops:

I did get a nice wire brush rash on my left arm when using my angle grinder 1 handed to clean up winter steel wheels for the VW, that smarted a tad
Some people shouldn't be allowed near power tools!

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
After years of having mostly Snap On tools which went with the last competition car I have bought whatever seemed reasonable quality/price and haven't had any break yet, maybe a sign of failing strength though!
The last few ratcheting ring spanners with a flexible head I bought from Lidl and can't fault them at all.
Ordinary work gloves, I buy the thin nylon type that have a thin rubberised palm and fingers (€5 for 5 pairs in the local DIY store) they won't prevent you from injury but they give grip and feel whilst keeping your hands clean.

Last edited:

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Halfords have an online deal this weekend. Professional socket sets usual 50% off, plus an extra 20% with the code TOOL20 . Also off hand tools. 10% off cleaning kits CLEAN10 & Bike carriers CARRIER10 & tec TECH10

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Halfords have an online deal this weekend. Professional socket sets usual 50% off, plus an extra 20% with the code TOOL20 . Also off hand tools. 10% off cleaning kits CLEAN10 & Bike carriers CARRIER10 & tec TECH10

Brilliant, I just bought the 200 PCE set in Halfords. But I will go back tomorrow and re-buy online with discount and click and collect, then return a set :D Thanks for the heads up on that.

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
+1 for the halfords advanced kit. Whatever you buy always get the best you can afford as good tools will last you for a life of DIY. Whilst cheaper tools may seem to fit the bill theyre likely to be made to slacker tolerances so although they may not break or wear out, theres a bigger chance of damaging nut and bolt heads that have partly corroded on older cars. Have fun and always put something solid under the car if youre under it!

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Every time I see an offer on these sets I want one, trouble is I already have everything in the sets and would effectively be paying for a nice box.:)

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Every time I see an offer on these sets I want one, trouble is I already have everything in the sets and would effectively be paying for a nice box.:)

I believe they sell the box on its owd :D

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wouldn't be big enough, nor the right shaped holes, believe me I've thought about it. Seen them on the bay at ridiculous prices.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wouldn't be big enough, nor the right shaped holes, believe me I've thought about it. Seen them on the bay at ridiculous prices.

I was joking ;)

I'm kind of in a catch 22 now. I want my Stanley mobile workshop to hold all my tools but I would be silly to take everything out of the nice organised box.

I don't want to have to lug around multiple boxes. What I will probably do is bring the box with me the first few times and any time I used something in it I will put it back into my toolbox. After a few uses, the common items will probably end up in my toolbox.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Hi Conor,

That is an impressive list of tools.
Do you have the most important and useful tool you can own?

I am talking about a diagnostic tool.
Many have the iCarSoft i980 or the latest version which is the MB V2.
It is invaluable to help steer you towards the real cause of an issue.
It is also excellent to look at current values even if there isn't an issue.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was joking ;)

I'm kind of in a catch 22 now. I want my Stanley mobile workshop to hold all my tools but I would be silly to take everything out of the nice organised box.

I don't want to have to lug around multiple boxes. What I will probably do is bring the box with me the first few times and any time I used something in it I will put it back into my toolbox. After a few uses, the common items will probably end up in my toolbox.
I thought you were, but I did have a look on the bay ages ago. I bought a lovely box to put my tools in, but it's far too heavy to carry.:D:D
I have resorted to smaller boxes for different types of tools, with all my sockets together.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Conor,

That is an impressive list of tools.
Do you have the most important and useful tool you can own?

I am talking about a diagnostic tool.
Many have the iCarSoft i980 or the latest version which is the MB V2.
It is invaluable to help steer you towards the real cause of an issue.
It is also excellent to look at current values even if there isn't an issue.

Hi Steve,

Yes, I figured it will be good to have everything at hand and at least buy all the things I can think of upfront to avoid frustration mid job.

Actually, this list is somewhat incomplete. I didn't think to include things I already bought. Funnily enough I did buy the iCarsoft MB v2.0 before I bought the car even as I needed it for diagnostics right away to ensure there wasn't anything crazy going on.

I think everybody should have one. On my last car I bought a £10 bluetooth dongle to check the light on my still in warranty car. I was able to walk into the garage already knowing the problem so they couldn't pull the wool over my eyes. They didn't try that on thankfully and honoured the warranty repair (Shout out to Ballsbridge Motors :) )

I thought you were, but I did have a look on the bay ages ago. I bought a lovely box to put my tools in, but it's far too heavy to carry.:D:D
I have resorted to smaller boxes for different types of tools, with all my sockets together.

Yea, i'm still figuring out what I will do.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Is that a thing? :confused: I didn't think you could ever have too many tools :D

..... and I've a shed load at work too :oops:
Nope, no such thing. It’s a bit like a bloke saying he’s grown bored of looking at cleavage, just a myth.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom