Cd not working car radio

stevegbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C Class w204 C280 sports a
i have just changed my car from c160 coupe to the c180 saloon. one thing i did not check was the cd player, tried to insert a cd and it looks like there is one jammed inside, radio works fine, so do i try to repair it or change the unit, 1st thing changing the unit are there codes for these, 2nd are they easy to remove, any advice would be welcomed. thanks in advance.

OP
stevegbr

stevegbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sorry its a w203 2007 model with wood effect panel. hope this helps. tried holding the eject button in, and it says remove cd, but looks empty it is making a weird clunking sound., so i think it may be the mechanism.thanks rsz_dsc_0089.jpg

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’d take it out and then remove the lid to have a look insides. If ones jammed then you could get it out. If not you’ll probably see if one of the nylon cogs is damaged. If so probably cheaper to replace

OP
stevegbr

stevegbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’d take it out and then remove the lid to have a look insides. If ones jammed then you could get it out. If not you’ll probably see if one of the nylon cogs is damaged. If so probably cheaper to replace
thanks for you reply, do i need codes for the radio or can i buy one the same as photo and just change it.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
That I don’t know, older units used to have a code. Newer ones can be coded I think but I’ve not replaced one in a Mercedes

OP
stevegbr

stevegbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That I don’t know, older units used to have a code. Newer ones can be coded I think but I’ve not replaced one in a Mercedes

just read that these units are coded to the vehicle, so no code required, however if removed they will not work in another vehicle. so i am stuck.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
maybe its the same useless design at the nav drive in my father's car - today, went to put in a later nav dvd. Pushed eject and waited... heard noises and saw flashing lights nothing, waited a minute - pressed and held eject, more noise then nothing - waited two minutes, pushed eject again - nothing.

Then remembered the useless security and the bent neighbour's children who like to regularly unlock his car and snoop round for stuff to nick. Maybe they have nicked the nav disc?

So Ok, if its got a disc it won't take a new one, gently offered it up, swallowed the disc eagerly and made normal noises. Turned the ignition on and went to check nav.... loading symbol.... 3 mins later no disc ! Oh - lets eject and try again - NOTHING unit appears dead.

OK lets take the nav drive out... (turns out to be a tool free design to have it on a bench with top off !!!) TWO DISCS jammed to f**k !!! Got the small screw drivers out, removed discs - new one totally trashed - old one Ok and magically the laser that has written off the new disc is still happy with the old disc. Now it even ejects just fine !!!!

= usual merc, rubbish quality, awful design, about 50% worse than a ford !

OP
stevegbr

stevegbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as anyone replaced their radio and got a code for it that worked.

OP
stevegbr

stevegbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
so nobody as done this, ok thanks.

OP
stevegbr

stevegbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
here is a quick update, here is what i have done, took number 64 out of the fusebox, put it back in, tried the eject as well as a pair of tweezers, took a few attempts but managed to get a disc out, tried a new disc which loaded, waited, now it just says "no cd", so it looks like the mechanism is not dropping, so i will have to replace the unit. thanks to all for all your advice, very helpful.

OP
stevegbr

stevegbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
got a replacement cd/radio today, problem is i cant find a serial number on it, to get a code, any advice on this please.

OP
stevegbr

stevegbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i am taking the other radio to this place in tyseley, they specialize in audio, will be taking it friday. fingers crossed.

OP
stevegbr

stevegbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
just got back from tech shop, they have told me these radios are not coded, he wired it up on the bench and everything worked, so now i will put it in the car tomorrow. wish me luck. lol

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fingers crossed :)

OP
stevegbr

stevegbr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well i fitted the radio/cd today to my car, and pleased to say all went well, it all works, when i shook the old one there is something loose in side, might take it apart at sometime to have a look, so problem now solved. :):):):)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Great result

Top Bottom