Costs of driving to the South of France

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Interesting, i didnt know it had changed. Im still not sure whether in practice a uk court could or would enforce such a matter. Id bet that ignoring it will lead to just more letters and higher fines until eventually they get bored. The link says the uk has to give the registered keeper details, it doesnt say the uk have to allow it to be prosecuted in the uk courts..

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
The link says the uk has to give the registered keeper details, it doesnt say the uk have to allow it to be prosecuted in the uk courts..

From the examples I've heard, the French are handing it to Debt Collectors, it would be up to them to take it to court if you didn't pay. So your never on trial for the original offence, only for non payment of an EU legally agreed fine.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
From the examples I've heard, the French are handing it to Debt Collectors, it would be up to them to take it to court if you didn't pay. So your never on trial for the original offence, only for non payment of an EU legally agreed fine.
Which makes it a civil matter, however if the debt collector took it to court with sufficient evidence you'd be highly unlikely to win.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Presumably there’s always the risk that you will come up on some type of ANPR system next time you are in France and then get pulled over for unpaid fines. I saw a case recently where Hampshire Police had impounded a foreign registered lorry on the A34 because of unpaid fines owed by the haulage company.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Here is some more, we went to Narbonne Plage for a month last October. Six months later I've had two speeding fines through the post, apparently the UK has signed an agreement to supply UK cars details to France so as the fines can be issued, even though we will not be sending any fines to French owners speeding in the UK. I suppose the fact that the French have lost £500m revenue from speed cameras since november due to the "yellow jackets" is pure coincidence?

my understanding is, the state have farmed out speeding to private business.. and that ALWAYS finds a way to screw you ..a buddy has been here 15 yr and been had 2x in the last 4 weeks .

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
For comparison...
June were paying £400 return for ferries (Portsmouth Cherbourg, Caen Portsmouth, 2 adults 3 dogs). Tolls Cherbourg to Bordeaux €25, then back to Caen €60.

if you have car there flying prob better option? no. remember if you french reg a uk car it is my understanding that it has to be insured even if in yr garage on yr property and not in use !!! i seem to be caught out with this on my clk which i french reg for 2 yr CT and not rtning to the uk for MOT last yr it cost me 360 ,third party and i never used it as its a spare. so at the current rates insurance will exceed car value in 2 more yrs and insurance will be its largest cost ..not pleased. i used to cross a.class and trailer in Nov for 90 quid rtn 10yr ago ,how things change.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
if you have car there flying prob better option? no. remember if you french reg a uk car it is my understanding that it has to be insured even if in yr garage on yr property and not in use !!! i seem to be caught out with this on my clk which i french reg for 2 yr CT and not rtning to the uk for MOT last yr it cost me 360 ,third party and i never used it as its a spare. so at the current rates insurance will exceed car value in 2 more yrs and insurance will be its largest cost ..not pleased. i used to cross a.class and trailer in Nov for 90 quid rtn 10yr ago ,how things change.
The problem with flying is the dogs...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
At the moment the Smart is SORN and no MOT. Not really sure what to do with it as it's got 145k miles so worth buttons. It's costing nothing to keep so may as well stay where it is till we need do something. Part of me wants to strip it down and rebuild with forged pistons and rods then start squeezing more power from it. Should be relatively easy to squeeze 150hp reliably if the bottom end is built up properly but then another art of me knows it's just not worth the effort.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
At the moment the Smart is SORN and no MOT. Not really sure what to do with it as it's got 145k miles so worth buttons. It's costing nothing to keep so may as well stay where it is till we need do something. Part of me wants to strip it down and rebuild with forged pistons and rods then start squeezing more power from it. Should be relatively easy to squeeze 150hp reliably if the bottom end is built up properly but then another art of me knows it's just not worth the effort.
But think of the fun!

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Do it do it do it!!!!!!!! (No pressure)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It'll need lots of pressure! Probably near 2 bar....(it's already running 21psi boost!)
Go on, and if you don’t I’ll have it off of you

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Drive and don’t worry about the cost, enjoy the roads, it’s all part of the holiday.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Must admit i think if i do have to pay it could be an expensive trip...the number of speed cameras in rural france is crazy and they are quite hard to spot and well hidden. They also seem to only target the 80km/h d roads which at times is a ridiculous speed to do. Not seen a flash but approached many at 85/90km/h before seeing them.

This is coming from a driver that never really speeds in spain/uk as the limits are about what id do anyway. If the limit seems low in a rattly old diesel w124 dread to think what itd be like in something more powerful/refined. I suppose it makes for good mpg but all the same...

Id also wager the high death rate on these roads being not so much speed/drink driving as reported (both similar in spain) but more the wreckless overtaking and lack of solid white lines. In spain if you dont have great vision theres a solid white line and no overtaking signs. In france it seems if you can see 10 car lengths ahead the solid white line stops and then its good to go. Saw 3 near head on smashes in just this trip. In spain ive seen the same number in the last 8 years!!

OP
Capra

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Drive and don’t worry about the cost, enjoy the roads, it’s all part of the holiday.
It won't be the her in doors, it will be me, which I am ok with. The drive would not be as fun.

Top Bottom