Lithium grease v silicon grease

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Hi all, bought some lithium grease to oil windows doors locks wipers aerial etc. I heard its the best and was expensive.

Although it worked great at first, everything now is not so smooth just a month in. Touching the overspray it seems to have congealed to a thick paste. Never had this problem with silicone.

So have i misread that lithium grease is a suitable alternative. I think ill just get silicone anyway and redo as its not worth a broken wiper mechanism but interested to know what lithium grease should and shouldnt be used for?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Lithium grease is best for any metal/metal contact items for instance metal sunroof runners, metal to rubber you can use the silicone or gummi pfledge, total rubber the gummi
Did you use the lithium in white spray form?

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Lithium grease is best for any metal/metal contact items for instance metal sunroof runners, metal to rubber you can use the silicone or gummi pfledge, total rubber the gummi
Did you use the lithium in white spray form?

Yes, I used the same white spray from a can, just like the silicon spray. The Lithium doesn't seem to go clear like the silicon does after time. I'm not bothered about that just annoyed that for instance the electric aerial now is worse than before it was sprayed, so to check I touched some white overspray and it seems sticky, not greasy. Not taken one apart but I believe a telescopic aerial is metal on metal so should run better? Same story with windows, though as they are glass on rubber liners I see Lithium may not be the correct substance here so fair enough.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Yes, I used the same white spray from a can, just like the silicon spray. The Lithium doesn't seem to go clear like the silicon does after time. I'm not bothered about that just annoyed that for instance the electric aerial now is worse than before it was sprayed, so to check I touched some white overspray and it seems sticky, not greasy. Not taken one apart but I believe a telescopic aerial is metal on metal so should run better? Same story with windows, though as they are glass on rubber liners I see Lithium may not be the correct substance here so fair enough.

I found same problem with the lithium and found it almost set and became almost a rough finish after a short time , I now use the spray for treadmills rubber to metal not too messy and lubricates well , can’t remember the exact name of one I have in shed but got it in Halfords

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I use GT85 for most things to be honest, the lithium just for heavy metal to metal where you don’t see it as it does go thick and messy as you’ve seen...

Auto Addict

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blue Efficiency C Class Estate
I always get the cannister warm if I'm going to spray with lithium grease.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom