Disaster

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Well at least you got some satisfaction from it.. Was the original repair due to damage, or just paint work? And was your main complaint about the paint ( rattle can) finish on the doors?

Merc had my car to sort a leaky air spring/bag. After some to-ing & fro-ing as they reckoned they couldn't find a fault, I went to collect my car to find to find that both passenger doors were dented. They put on their best poker face & said they'd no idea how it could have happened but I'd sent the service manager photos of my car on their car park showing that the suspension was low on one corner so they couldn't deny it. Apparently their CCTV was down ......

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
My minor disaster involved my SL being reversed into a couple weeks back, I priced up the parts and went back to the offending driver who happily paid up the price to have my car sorted :)

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Always good to get 2x quotes anyway, show him the MB quote then present the other one, it should encourage him to pay on the spot, show he is not being ripped off, cover you in the event you have to sue for recovery.

Mercedes SL500 R231

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Fraud? Not really...if you have a shunt like this...then you are fully entitled to take it to your local MB dealership to have it restored to pre-crash condition...MB standard. So at a future date if you are trading it in / selling it, you can truthfully say, Yes it got hit, but was repaired by MB.
The other option, getting it repaired for a lower price in a non MB workshop, and pocketing the differance, while it may sound like "Sharp Practice", bear in mind that it could cost you when you trade in/ sell, and have to say, Yes, It got hit, but it was repaired in xxxy Bodyshop.
The question here, is not the competancy of the bodyshop ( it's quite possible that the independant Bodyshop is doing all the bodywork for not only the local MB dealership, but other dealerships too !! ) With MB taking credit ( and cash ) for it...for just basically just handling the paperwork . None the less, personally, if its' only minor damage, I would get the quote from the independant Bodyshop, present it to guy who hit you, and after he pays up, get in done acording to the quote.
Its fraud if the OP presents an inflated quote from an MB dealer to the other driver who pays the amount on the quote and then the OP takes the car to a cheaper garage and pockets the difference.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Its fraud if the OP presents an inflated quote from an MB dealer to the other driver who pays the amount on the quote and then the OP takes the car to a cheaper garage and pockets the difference.
In a past life, I have written more estimates than I care to think about for the main Dealership that I worked for. In fairness, the majority, wanting to keep their vehicle to manufacturers specfication, gave the repair job to us. Some of course, got the main dealer quotation, and then took the car to some one else....not a thing in the world I could do about it in a lot of cases. But in some case's, the car would be traded in to us, but the fact that we had not carried out the repairs, ment a very reduced trade in price. Also, we had a very good reputation when it came to crash repairs.. what we repaired we stood over. At that time, it was one of the most modern and up to date Body Shops in the Country, with the very latest in alignment and jig system's. So we were expensive, but you pay for quality, and car's never suffered price wise after our repairs. So now we come to the question of Fraud....I would not be inclined to agree with you. Say, after getting an MB repair quote, and the Indy one, the owner decides that he will trade it in.......should he go by the MB quote, or the Indy bodyshop? Bear in mind, that the Indy might not have the same facilities as the Dealership? And the job is not to the same standard.....?? So what he pocketed from the quote, he could very well lose more than he gained in the long run.

Last edited:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My minor disaster involved my SL being reversed into a couple weeks back, I priced up the parts and went back to the offending driver who happily paid up the price to have my car sorted :)
Happy Ending !!!! And just to show that there are Happy Endings,, not all shunt's are horror storys.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
I would do it a little differently.
First, I would get a written quote , then I would take the quote to the old boy and get the cash from him.
Only after that would I get the job done.

Whatever the culprit might say now, he might balk at paying when the job has been done and the bill lands on his doorstep.
Where would that leave you?

If the OP goes around, The gentleman might say the OP was demanding money with menaces, and deny all knowledge of the incident.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
If the OP goes around, The gentleman might say the OP was demanding money with menaces, and deny all knowledge of the incident.
One big flaw in that is the video evidence....

Mercedes SL500 R231

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Always good to get 2x quotes anyway, show him the MB quote then present the other one, it should encourage him to pay on the spot, show he is not being ripped off, cover you in the event you have to sue for recovery.

Mercedes SL500 R231
Yes Sl500, that's one way to solve it !

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Top Bottom