Servicing costs

MGSL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL400 R231 2015
Hello,

Can anyone help please with a couple of service questions?

Has anyone recent experience of a B5 main dealer service cost for a Mercedes SL400 (the car is 2015 and has done 13250 miles). The main dealers are not transparent with charging structures and I don't want to pay over the top prices.

Is it also important to stay with the main dealer service record when out of warranty, or ok to use a local Mercedes independent if they are better value on service costs, taking into account resale values and full MB history etc.

Many thanks....

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Hello,

Has anyone recent experience of a B5 main dealer service cost for a Mercedes SL400 (the car is 2015 and has done 13250 miles). The main dealers are not transparent with charging structures and I don't want to pay over the top prices.

Put the car details in here and it will tell you what is needed

https://www.mymercedesservice.co.uk/#/your-vehicle

It will be a big one as 4 years old so all filters, brake fluid and poss a gearbox oil and filter change.

Is it also important to stay with the main dealer service record when out of warranty, or ok to use a local Mercedes independent if they are better value on service costs, taking into account resale values and full MB history etc.

Indy servicing makes no difference, any VAT registered garage can keep the online service history up to date with Mercedes.

Where are you based?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
You should have a Service Booklet with your original documentation, this will tell you exactly what work will be carried out on your car, the website above gave me some misleading information on mine. If you contact the MB Independent's in your area, the MB approved ones will have access to your car's Service records and are able to update them, they will not however renew your Mobilo support.

OP
M

MGSL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL400 R231 2015

It will be a big one as 4 years old so all filters, brake fluid and poss a gearbox oil and filter change.

Indy servicing makes no difference, any VAT registered garage can keep the online service history up to date with Mercedes.

Where are you based?
Thanks for the details, I'm Manchester based.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Ring them up and get a quote, Mobilo can be useful it has been to me.

OP
M

MGSL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL400 R231 2015
Ring them up and get a quote, Mobilo can be useful it has been to me.
Thanks for replying, I'm waiting on a quote, sounds like the Mobilo is beneficial.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Thanks for replying, I'm waiting on a quote, sounds like the Mobilo is beneficial.

Use the link I posted, will give you prices from any dealers near you and also exactly what is needed rather than a load of flannel from the service person.

Mobilo is just breakdown now provided by the RAC

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
Has anyone recent experience of a B5 main dealer service cost

For a moment I read that as BS main dealer service cost. :)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Use the link I posted, will give you prices from any dealers near you and also exactly what is needed rather than a load of flannel from the service person.

Mobilo is just breakdown now provided by the RAC

Mobilo cover (yes it changes by year) has been about far far more than breakdown for me and I have had extensive panel replacement f.0.C.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Hello,

Many thanks....
I would also be tempted to look into the cost of a service plan with MB if you intend to keep the car a few years. These plans include the cost of items which are not included in the normal service schedule and for which you have to pay extra.You can then compare to local indie charges. The service plan for 3 years on the CL worked out at £500 per year, whereas the cost of the first normal service under my ownership was going to be over £1500 on its own. Worth a look.

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
You should have a Service Booklet with your original documentation, this will tell you exactly what work will be carried out on your car, the website above gave me some misleading information on mine. If you contact the MB Independent's in your area, the MB approved ones will have access to your car's Service records and are able to update them, they will not however renew your Mobilo support.
Both mine and my wife's car (2014 & 2015) have no service book and are online only.

Bad because I liked to be able to look at what needed doing at certain intervals.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Both mine and my wife's car (2014 & 2015) have no service book and are online only.

Bad because I liked to be able to look at what needed doing at certain intervals.
Doesn't the manual give you an idea of what has to be done at miles reached?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

Pity you nailed your username to the mast with "E500" , can't you change it to S500 Pete :D . I almost called myself E320cdi Wighty but thought that would lock out a future car change :rolleyes:

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651

Well hopefully someone will be along with one for you to take a copy?

Gray8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C220 AMG Sport Estate 2014

Just go into any MB dealership and ask them to print out you service records. I did this a few weeks ago, no problem. I didn't buy the car from them by the way.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Just go into any MB dealership and ask them to print out you service records. I did this a few weeks ago, no problem. I didn't buy the car from them by the way.

Yes that’s all you need to do just ask I for a printout.

Look on US sites for scheduled maintenance frequency the whole system is in disarray here

https://www.mercedesbenzraleigh.com...ge/service-intervals/2016/2016_E_Class_MM.pdf

You can access all the MB scheduled maintenance for any model from this site, in this case I was looking up the schedule for a W213 E220d

Last edited:

Davefo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 slk250 and w207 e220 both 2014

Where are you based?

Davefo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 slk250 and w207 e220 both 2014
My 2015 sl400 has covered just 12500 miles. I change the engine oil annually or every 6000 miles and use mb oil and filter. That plus a visual inspection whilst under the car together with the mot is an A+ service in my book. For a B service I take the wheels off to clean the insides and clean and inspect the brake pads, discs, and calipers. I have a brake fluid moisture check tool and unless it shows any moisture content I leave well alone. At my low miles the air filters should not need changing yet but I do replace the cabin filter. I will get an indie to change my transmission fluids at 30000 and the brake fluid as necessary. I also have a good look round and oil hinges etc, plus clean and waxoil brake pipes and exposed nuts and bolts on suspension parts. I purchased an aftermarket diagnosis tool to check any problem systems and had to replace the auxiliary battery that died due to age rather than use. For history I just keep a log with receipts and let the condition of the car speak for itself. I am sure mb technicians do a good job but part of the pleasure for me is looking after the car myself. My experience of dealerships is ok but I would really like to talk to the guy that is working on my car rather than a service "advisor" who just tells me it is all done and presents the invoice.
I appreciate that a lot of sl owners may not wish to go the Diy route but it is not as difficult as you are led to believe and in my experience Mercedes are pretty reliable.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
My 2015 sl400 has covered just 12500 miles. I change the engine oil annually or every 6000 miles and use mb oil and filter. That plus a visual inspection whilst under the car together with the mot is an A+ service in my book. For a B service I take the wheels off to clean the insides and clean and inspect the brake pads, discs, and calipers. I have a brake fluid moisture check tool and unless it shows any moisture content I leave well alone. At my low miles the air filters should not need changing yet but I do replace the cabin filter. I will get an indie to change my transmission fluids at 30000 and the brake fluid as necessary. I also have a good look round and oil hinges etc, plus clean and waxoil brake pipes and exposed nuts and bolts on suspension parts. I purchased an aftermarket diagnosis tool to check any problem systems and had to replace the auxiliary battery that died due to age rather than use. For history I just keep a log with receipts and let the condition of the car speak for itself. I am sure mb technicians do a good job but part of the pleasure for me is looking after the car myself. My experience of dealerships is ok but I would really like to talk to the guy that is working on my car rather than a service "advisor" who just tells me it is all done and presents the invoice.
I appreciate that a lot of sl owners may not wish to go the Diy route but it is not as difficult as you are led to believe and in my experience Mercedes are pretty reliable.
Excellent stuff , you sound exactly like me , expect with a much newer nicer car :D . Keep up the good work .

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
Pity you nailed your username to the mast with "E500" , can't you change it to S500 Pete :D . I almost called myself E320cdi Wighty but thought that would lock out a future car change :rolleyes:
A good point, I did have the E500 for 10 years so never thought about it. I guess I could change it (not sure how) but not really all that bothered.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom