W203 - Sudden loss of power and engine cut out

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 C200 Kompressor Coupe 1.8L
Hi guys,

Today my car suddenly lost power and the engine had cut out whilst driving. The engine would not start again and it would make a similar sound to this (from the 26 seconds mark):

The vehicle cranks but would not start

I had to call recovery and the recovery guy did some tests. He vaguely concluded at the roadside that it looks like there's no fuel pressure but he didn't really look into it much.The vehicle has been taken by the recovery company to the garage who will check it out tomorrow.

When it was brought to the garage after around 2 hours after the incident, the car started fine (although it seemed a little rough). Guy at the garage said it sounded like a misfire but they would keep the car and do the checks tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what the issue may be.

It had the fuel filter changed 4 weeks ago and for the last few days I noticed a slight 'rattle' right when I start the engine.

There is an oil leak from the camshaft magnets which has been baked on for a few years and it has the oil-trap harness fitted.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thank you

M271 engine - 2003 C200 Kompressor Coupe, 1.8L Petrol, Manual

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You could have encountered the cheese timing sprocket issue.
Google m271 issues.

Do not turn the engine over until you remove the cam cover and check the cam sprockets.

OP
H

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You could have encountered the cheese timing sprocket issue.
Google m271 issues.

Do not turn the engine over until you remove the cam cover and check the cam sprockets.
Hmm, I'm not convinced it's the infamous 271 timing issue (yet). Signs indicate no fuel pressure and the engine did start a few hours later at the garage - at which point he kept revving it till 4k rpm. :eek: Really praying it's not the timing issue you say it is otherwise it's toast.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It was the mention of the cold start rattle. Classic warning symptom.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
vid is c240 not a c180??

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Well...

It could be the fuel pump, a fuel pressure test would confirm that and its easy to do - but a discerning technician by ear would also tell you by listening to it if it has lost compression and you have a timing chain issue.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
We have seen 271 chains let go without having a rattle on start up.

OP
H

Hustler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
vid is c240 not a c180??
Vid was just for demonstrating how it sounded when trying to start up, my car is a C200K
Well...

It could be the fuel pump, a fuel pressure test would confirm that and its easy to do - but a discerning technician by ear would also tell you by listening to it if it has lost compression and you have a timing chain issue.
Thanks. I'd rather the fuel pump than the chain.

I've been reading on other forums people mentioning camshaft sensors? Could this be a possible line of enquiry in my case?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Vid was just for demonstrating how it sounded when trying to start up, my car is a C200K

Thanks. I'd rather the fuel pump than the chain.

I've been reading on other forums people mentioning camshaft sensors? Could this be a possible line of enquiry in my case?

Unlikely to be a crank/sensor.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom