Intermittent grinding tailgate/boot hinge

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hello

I am currently working to tease out some annoyances on my car and one of the things that gets me is the above. Most times the tailgate works fine, but on some occasions the door only opens slightly then jams. When this happens, I need to literally pry the whole door open and there is a really disconcerting grinding noise when that happens.

It appears to be just the left hinge that is affected. Upon mentioning this to the local parts store, they recommended GT85 spray. But I have the slightest recollection of reading something on here about using lithium grease to solve this particular problem. I cannot for the life of me find that thread, hence my posting.

The hinge looks like the following. After reading the Lithium vs Silicone grease thread, I am inclined to think Lithium might not be a bad choice here. The grinding piece seems to be hidden away a bit and if I can get the grease in there it could be a good thing. But checking mainly as I don't want to clog everything up and not be able to get at it in future, to clean up.

Should I go for Lithium or GT85?

P.S. Aldi will be selling some Lithium grease soon at £2.99

index.php

goldy

Reaction score
Website
www.goldsmithmortgages.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2019 W213
I had this issue following a tailgate replacement and Merc tried 15 times to fix it without success. They said no fix.
Forum member suggested oiling the hinges with motor oil. This fixed it but problem returned. Oiled again and again and it got better.
I was told by a neighbour mechanic to spray Mr Sheen (other brands are available!!) On to the hinges and moving parts. 4 months now and all good.
Maybe try the polish first as easier to clean than oil. The oil definitely helped though.
Dont forget to do the ball joint where tailgate and motor join.
Persevere with it. Can take several attempts.
Pop off the plastic hinge covers for access.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok sounds good - I guess it makes sense to persevere as the oil/whatever needs to penetrate and get into all the workings.

I was thinking the cover would come off alright.

Thank you.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
On some occasions the door only opens slightly then jams. When this happens, I need to literally pry the whole door open and there is a really disconcerting grinding noise when that happens.

Don't do this, wait a couple of seconds and press the button again, it should open correctly, both my car and my mothers with powered tailgates do the same thing occasionally

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't do this, wait a couple of seconds and press the button again, it should open correctly, both my car and my mothers with powered tailgates do the same thing occasionally

Ok cool, I didn't think of that - didn't think it would open. I would be happy to do anything but force it..I'll try that next time.

goldy

Reaction score
Website
www.goldsmithmortgages.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2019 W213
Mine began as an occasional thing but then became more regular. Eventually it was sticking and groaning almost every time.
Merc replaced every part including the motor without success.
Lubricating it has fixed it (fingers crossed)

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom