Making money sharing cars via sharing economy?

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Whenever i hear "not worth the hassle" comments it makes me calculate the hourly rate and compare to.my job. When im away (and sometimes when in) ive rented rooms on airbnb too. Ive been told its not worth the hassle to arrange ...but when i was gone for 3 weeks...well it was hassle but total hours spent worked out at 240eur/hour. Actually it was 235/hour as they did break the coffee pot. Now i dont earn anywhere near 235/hr un my job so if i decide i need less hassle ill give up the job and keep with the renting.

That said id assume given so much of a car is fixdd costs that turo makes sense if you have the suitable car already. If you have it already and its hired just 3days/month thats 1200/year. I cant imagine them causing anywhere near that amount of wear and tear even if not driven carefully...

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
It's a greed concentration problem. But should be a wealth enabling tool. ergo history lessons.

I often ask people in tech how much do they give as % of income to charity, when they last did a voluntary act of kindness - the silence is deafening. Ask about the latest 'thing' they bought and they go on for hours.

Out of curiosity, what % of income do you give to charity and when did you last perform a voluntary act of kindness?

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Whenever i hear "not worth the hassle" comments it makes me calculate the hourly rate and compare to.my job. When im away (and sometimes when in) ive rented rooms on airbnb too. Ive been told its not worth the hassle to arrange ...but when i was gone for 3 weeks...well it was hassle but total hours spent worked out at 240eur/hour. Actually it was 235/hour as they did break the coffee pot. Now i dont earn anywhere near 235/hr un my job so if i decide i need less hassle ill give up the job and keep with the renting.

That said id assume given so much of a car is fixdd costs that turo makes sense if you have the suitable car already. If you have it already and its hired just 3days/month thats 1200/year. I cant imagine them causing anywhere near that amount of wear and tear even if not driven carefully...

Fair point.. I often think the same way. While I acknowledge it may sometimes not be worth the hassle, I would rather have an Excel sheet tell me than a hunch.

I rent out my spare room on Airbnb quite often and I can assure all it is worth the hassle.

It is difficult to tell with the car.. Airbnb income benefits from the so called "rent a room" scheme enabling tax free income, but I don't think the same can be said for car rental income, unfortunately :(

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
at least 10% and several days per year of voluntary work as a STEM Ambassador that are otherwise chargeable. Earlier today. I took an elderly lady with mobility limitations to the Drs after cutting her lawns. Yourself?

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Actually SFA to charity at the minute i'm afraid i'm honest. When I was a perm employee I had a decent amount set up via some service. Over the last year I became self employed and i'm loathe to say I have done nack all about that..now that said, I also haven't set up my pension either so it's not a case of being selectively crap. I've just been a bit crap of late. But I need to sort it out.

That said, I don't think it would be near 10% as a young single person who wishes to buy a home in London, I certainly couldn't give 10% (of net income, not clarified above) to charity -- a controversial statement I am sure but that's my feeling.

Edit - I wasn't being facetious, I was generally curious. It's not something people often talk about.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Actually SFA to charity at the minute i'm afraid i'm honest. When I was a perm employee I had a decent amount set up via some service. Over the last year I became self employed and i'm loathe to say I have done nack all about that..now that said, I also haven't set up my pension either so it's not a case of being selectively crap. I've just been a bit crap of late. But I need to sort it out.

That said, I don't think it would be near 10% as a young single person who wishes to buy a home in London, I certainly couldn't give 10% (of net income, not clarified above) to charity -- a controversial statement I am sure but that's my feeling.

Edit - I wasn't being facetious, I was generally curious. It's not something people often talk about.

Perhaps people should talk about it a bit more. Use tech like facetwatappgram to discuss. Get tech to be a force for good, not greed.

A sugar filled latte here is £3. How many are bought daily/weekly? Drop 1 and put the £3 in a charity tin. Would you miss it? Either the sugary crap or the £3? It really isn't difficult is it?

When I started doing my STEM Ambassador voluntary work it was primarily individuals, unpaid. Over the last 9 years companies are introducing volunteer days, only 1 per year.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Perhaps people should talk about it a bit more. Use tech like facetwatappgram to discuss. Get tech to be a force for good, not greed.

A sugar filled latte here is £3. How many are bought daily/weekly? Drop 1 and put the £3 in a charity tin. Would you miss it? Either the sugary crap or the £3? It really isn't difficult is it?

When I started doing my STEM Ambassador voluntary work it was primarily individuals, unpaid. Over the last 9 years companies are introducing volunteer days, only 1 per year.
My employee lets you give one day a year to a charity, but never used it, and don't know anyone else that had. They don't really offer any help with sourcing a charity. Cash wise, we used to donate money from my wife's salary per month, but that stopped when she was made redundant. Now I tend to give money to charities that are more close to home. I do like the idea of helping out the less fortunate than me, but we are far from "fortunate" ourselves. I hope that last statement didn't come across as arrogant.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Sorry, I didn't mean to abandon this thread.

I am in total agreement with you on all of this and wasn't trying to get into an argument. I actually had the idea that I would stop drinking Lattes and start giving that money to charity / homeless...but I haven't done that. In the past I have done STEM ambassador type stuff. When I bought my car I signed up to meal shopping/delivery service for the elderly - they only do that during working hours so I am out of luck.

In my defence, my own life is pretty disorganised too, I have been self employed for a year now and not yet sorted out new pension arrangements... and there are many other things. Basically I am currently a man of words and not action, but not just limited to altruism.. I need to get my finger out!

Top Bottom