LightHouseInTheDark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200K
Hi all,

First post so please be gentle :)

Bit of brief background, I owned a w204, used, 6m old, 4k, coming up to 4 years ago. Had to sell due to change of circumstance. Been in love with Merc ever since.

Fast forward to mid to late 2018, suspected epilepsy, obv couldn't drive.

Last month I was given the all clear so bought myself a toy - CLK200K, 2005, 85k, full service, MOT Nov. It really is lovely, credit to previous owner.

Now I have notice that it's developed (or I didn't notice due to starry eyed syndrome) a ticking noise from the engine bay. I can't hear it internally.

At first I thought this was when the engine was cold however I've come to the conclusion that it happens every time on start up irrespective of cold morning start/ popped into the shop for a pot noodle and a lottery ticket...

In all seriousness, it's really strange. Due to this I can't eliminate issues with reciprocal components, manifold leak (can't smell anything), injectors or valves.

The car was serviced a few weeks before purchase (I've checked this with the garage) so most deffo not an oil issue. It did have a new alternator though which may be a consideration?

Anyway, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, passing parked cars, windows down, I can hear the ticking (which is rhythmic and increases in speed) as I pass.

Sorry for the long one, I'm just at my wits end!

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
I'm sure there will be people around tomorrow with suggestions. Meantime it might be useful to record and upload to youtube and embed it in your post or provide a link.. oh, and welcome to the forum! A bit of plastic tube held to your ear and directed around the engine bay may narrow down where the noise is coming from..

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Have clicking noise on my CLK, I think it’s the fuel pump.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi all,

First post so please be gentle :)

Bit of brief background, I owned a w204, used, 6m old, 4k, coming up to 4 years ago. Had to sell due to change of circumstance. Been in love with Merc ever since.

Fast forward to mid to late 2018, suspected epilepsy, obv couldn't drive.

Last month I was given the all clear so bought myself a toy - CLK200K, 2005, 85k, full service, MOT Nov. It really is lovely, credit to previous owner.

Now I have notice that it's developed (or I didn't notice due to starry eyed syndrome) a ticking noise from the engine bay. I can't hear it internally.

At first I thought this was when the engine was cold however I've come to the conclusion that it happens every time on start up irrespective of cold morning start/ popped into the shop for a pot noodle and a lottery ticket...

In all seriousness, it's really strange. Due to this I can't eliminate issues with reciprocal components, manifold leak (can't smell anything), injectors or valves.

The car was serviced a few weeks before purchase (I've checked this with the garage) so most deffo not an oil issue. It did have a new alternator though which may be a consideration?

Anyway, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, passing parked cars, windows down, I can hear the ticking (which is rhythmic and increases in speed) as I pass.

Sorry for the long one, I'm just at my wits end!
Welcome buddy . Have a read up on M271 timing chain problems in case the ticking is coming from the chain and sprockets . Failure of these have started at your mileage .
May be worth visiting an MB Indy in your area , members will happily recommend someone , if you say where you are

OP
L

LightHouseInTheDark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200K
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've read it could be just as simple as awaiting oil pressure to rise but I have now read up on the M271 and I'm a bit paranoid...

Anyway, here are two videos.

1. Sound on start up.

2. Bonnet down after a few mins (seems normal, the ticking cannot be heard).

Thanks again.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
I believe the engine management comes on some time before complete failure. Best check with your fixer with STAR diagnostics.
My CLK has M272 motor and is very quiet, nearly 80k
I think failure rate is very small. Just enjoy.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've read it could be just as simple as awaiting oil pressure to rise but I have now read up on the M271 and I'm a bit paranoid...

Anyway, here are two videos.

1. Sound on start up.

2. Bonnet down after a few mins (seems normal, the ticking cannot be heard).

Thanks again.
That is a loud "tick" buddy . Obviously I can't for a Minuite diagnose the issue (if there is any?) but if that were my M271 I would be seeking a reputable Indy for a second opinion asap .
As an M271 owner myself , I listen carefully for start up rattle and a few months ago took the rocker cover off to look at the chain and sprockets to satisfy myself that all was ok . At 76k it was all looking good .
Any rattle from the top front of the engine at start up on cold is potentially a warning , not everyone gets this warning by the way .

OP
L

LightHouseInTheDark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200K
I believe the engine management comes on some time before complete failure. Best check with your fixer with STAR diagnostics.
My CLK has M272 motor and is very quiet, nearly 80k
I think failure rate is very small. Just enjoy.
Makes me smile every trip ☺️

OP
L

LightHouseInTheDark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200K
That is a loud "tick" buddy . Obviously I can't for a Minuite diagnose the issue (if there is any?) but if that were my M271 I would be seeking a reputable Indy for a second opinion asap .
As an M271 owner myself , I listen carefully for start up rattle and a few months ago took the rocker cover off to look at the chain and sprockets to satisfy myself that all was ok . At 76k it was all looking good .
Any rattle from the top front of the engine at start up on cold is potentially a warning , not everyone gets this warning by the way .
It is loud for sure. The noise seems to be coming from the back nr the manifold are. Also would TC rattle sound like just that, a rattle, not a rythitic ticking? Genuine question, I don't know.

Will have Merx In Macclesfield look at it, it's a 1 min drive from my house and heard good things.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It is loud for sure. The noise seems to be coming from the back nr the manifold are. Also would TC rattle sound like just that, a rattle, not a rythitic ticking? Genuine question, I don't know.

Will have Merx In Macclesfield look at it, it's a 1 min drive from my house and heard good things.
A rattle, like grinding almost when started, and a lovely whining sound.....yip let Merx in Macclesfield give it the once over....

OP
L

LightHouseInTheDark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200K
59C8fHF

Can you have a look at this please. "noise in auxiliary belt area".

So this is less than 2 months ago, previous owner (hence removing his details).

Any comments?

OP
L

LightHouseInTheDark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200K
This

Attachments

• IMG_20190517_195158.jpg
    IMG_20190517_195158.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 10
OP
L

LightHouseInTheDark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200K
Hard for me to read , does it say seized alternator . If it does excellent :D
I'll quote

To remove belt to investigate noise in aux belt area, found alternator pully to be seized. To replace alternator pully and retest

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’m confused! That seized alternator was a repair 19th March...

OP
L

LightHouseInTheDark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200K
I’m confused! That seized alternator was a repair 19th March...
That's what I mean. Supposedly it was. Can't verify short of contacting the garage as it was before I bought the car.

But if the noise could be the alternator I will. What do you think?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You’d need corroboration so best get it looked at anyway. If it is something which was done badly then I guess there’s some come back

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom