New speed initiative

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
But, don't live at number 30 so my wheelie bin will end up who knows where as there isn't a number 30 in our road. we do have 4 wheelie bins, 1 black for general rubbish, 2 green for recycling, 1 brown for garden waste so does that make 30303030mph limit?

Also we are only permitted to put our bins at the edge of our property from 06:00 on bin collection day that is every Monday for Black and alternate Tuesdays for the others. So road users won't see the bins for most of the week.

These ideas have clearly not been thought through, but doubtless some bod in a booth in front of a screen will be lauded for it. Go Look See

:rolleyes::geek::shock:

OP
sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Hahaha we'll be getting arrested by the local moggy next.
The whole process is carried out in conjunction with the police who train the local biddies how to use the equipment. The police then receive the data and decide whether to issue a warning or ticket to the unsuspecting motorist....

Some have given up due to threats of physical violence, the whole idea seems bizarre to me. I certainly resent my local tax money being spent in this way especially as we do not see any of the fine money back in the community.

Mercedes SL500 R231

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
The whole process is carried out in conjunction with the police who train the local biddies how to use the equipment. The police then receive the data and decide whether to issue a warning or ticket to the unsuspecting motorist....

Some have given up due to threats of physical violence, the whole idea seems bizarre to me. I certainly resent my local tax money being spent in this way especially as we do not see any of the fine money back in the community.

Mercedes SL500 R231
Come to think of it I was driving through my local village about 2 months ago and there was some old folk in hi vis with a handheld camera and a sign saying speed check. I put my foot down and up went a couple of fingers :eek:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Was it a joke?
'The council confirmed 1,341 bins belonging to residents in Huddersfield have been seized since the policy was introduced on April 1 and are now impounded in a council-run depot.'
No, Kirklees don’t joke over recycling...

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
But, don't live at number 30 so my wheelie bin will end up who knows where as there isn't a number 30 in our road. we do have 4 wheelie bins, 1 black for general rubbish, 2 green for recycling, 1 brown for garden waste so does that make 30303030mph limit?

Also we are only permitted to put our bins at the edge of our property from 06:00 on bin collection day that is every Monday for Black and alternate Tuesdays for the others. So road users won't see the bins for most of the week.

These ideas have clearly not been thought through, but doubtless some bod in a booth in front of a screen will be lauded for it. Go Look See

:rolleyes::geek::shock:

Mate... You just need to campaign against wheelie bin theft in next election and then you can expense your kids education. Simples.

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
:p Number 30 and perhaps 20 are going to be bin busy after collection :D

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Come to think of it I was driving through my local village about 2 months ago and there was some old folk in hi vis with a handheld camera and a sign saying speed check. I put my foot down and up went a couple of fingers :eek:
Saw this as well in the Cotswolds recently, not even a picture postcard village either. Perhaps understandable if old folk are getting mown down on a daily basis by Audi drivers :)D) but you suspect that these characters have bog all else to do and are simply self important trouble makers. Probably also drive everywhere at 20mph 'cos it's safe. (rant from old bloke over)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Saw this as well in the Cotswolds recently, not even a picture postcard village either. Perhaps understandable if old folk are getting mown down on a daily basis by Audi drivers :)D) but you suspect that these characters have bog all else to do and are simply self important trouble makers. Probably also drive everywhere at 20mph 'cos it's safe. (rant from old bloke over)
To be fair traffic noise can be annoying to residents and exterior tyre noise increases dramatically with speed.

We have a 40mph road near us and the tyre noise does get annoying. Many also don't obey the speed limit and there are some on bikes we can hear winding up from the roundabout that are certainly not under 40mph.

If it's signed 30 do 30. If not for your sake then at least out of consideration to those living on that road.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Yes we turned down an extraordinary property because of road noise from the higher speeds and it was quite a way.

Mainly hurtling bikes whilst we were looking the house, its great position just couldn't make up for it.

20 mph whilst driving does feel pedestrian to put it politely but stand on the road and you realise it is a lot quieter for the residents.

My pet hate speed humps should theoretically disappear, maybe in my lifetime with driver-less cars and I will of course be mobile a whole lot longer,

There are often advantages to everything if you look for them,

How will the speed camera income be replaced ?

how can I be done for drunk driving ?

how will the bookies make money out of car Insurance ?

Per mile or KM taxation is a no brainer.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
To be fair traffic noise can be annoying to residents and exterior tyre noise increases dramatically with speed.

We have a 40mph road near us and the tyre noise does get annoying. Many also don't obey the speed limit and there are some on bikes we can hear winding up from the roundabout that are certainly not under 40mph.

If it's signed 30 do 30. If not for your sake then at least out of consideration to those living on that road.
Would that be the little roundabout you like to flick the Roadster through A...lol?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I do think the fashion for ultra wide and low profile tyres adds to the tyre noise issue. That and delivery scooters with zero silencing :rolleyes:

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0

This definitely. My point was rather about wholly unqualified villagers in effect taking the law into their own hands a la vigilante type approach. Sets a very dangerous precedent in my view. Yep stick to the limit or take the consequences.

OP
sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014

In this case it is a residential area full of parked cars causing plenty of chicanes and where traffic would be lucky to exceed 25mph. 2x local residents (both who have only lived there for under 12 months) complained to the Council and asked for speed calming measures. Essex County Council set up a speed monitoring trial which affirmed that majority of cars were not speeding so request was denied. This led to the local council funding a speedwatch campaign and sticky labels to put on roller bins.

One of the Parish Councillors posted on Facebook a picture of himself with speed gun in hand advertising local speedwatch and calling for volunteers. The only comment posted underneath was from a local resident which read "this is what happens when you retire with f*** A** to do, get a life!"

Think he summed it up perfectly.

Mercedes SL500 R231

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom