Nobody will fix k series h/g

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
Both mechanics I use said no, I've ordered the parts from Rimmer Bros and now don't know who to ask. A mate said I've good good mechanical knowledge and said fk them you do it then go to them in it when fixed.

I'm tempted but really don't know, I've watched a few vids including one by John Paul of Rimmer Bros. Yes it's probably hard to do due to limited space, but I think still doable for a diy'er..... or is it still best last to the pros.

If I can ****** find one that won't shy away from it.

Seems to be that a lot of them just pick and choose ect.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
What’s an h/g?

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Find another mechanic?

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Both mechanics I use said no, I've ordered the parts from Rimmer Bros and now don't know who to ask. A mate said I've good good mechanical knowledge and said fk them you do it then go to them in it when fixed.

I'm tempted but really don't know, I've watched a few vids including one by John Paul of Rimmer Bros. Yes it's probably hard to do due to limited space, but I think still doable for a diy'er..... or is it still best last to the pros.

If I can ****** find one that won't shy away from it.

Seems to be that a lot of them just pick and choose ect.

Go here and ask - they will know of a few good Mechanics that will oblige to do your Rover K-Series HG. It's a common replacement on these.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/

I presume you got New Head Bolts because those will be needed as they are "one-use" only.

OP
S

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
Go here and ask - they will know of a few good Mechanics that will oblige to do your Rover K-Series HG. It's a common replacement on these.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/

I presume you got New Head Bolts because those will be needed as they are "one-use" only.

Thanks but don't think they are active now

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
cant be that bad ,car is of age /design for humans to repair. somewhat different from a number of todays cars...

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
I've only encountered this engine in Caterhams, and they don't have a reputation for failure in that application. I have however had one or two apart myself. The job itself is no different really to most head gasket replacements, but often you will find if the engine has been badly overheated the centre two liners will have sunk into the block. The liner protrusion above the upper block height is crucial to sealing, so if the liners have sunk it will fail again in short order. The fix is a complete strip, and the liners need shims placing beneath them to lift them to the required height. Obviously this is a lot more work. A lot more.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Most times it happens, putting in a rebuilt engine is cheaper than just replacing the head gasket and hoping for the best.

Not cheap, but cheaper than the other option in the long run. A well rebuilt engine should get you 80K miles reliably, longer if you keep your eye on the temperature gauge and don't let the wife drive it.

noonboots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500 2003 M113 5.0l
There are easier ways for garages to make money, than having to put a warranty on a job that might come back at them. I've done a lot of head gaskets on Rovers but not an MGF/TF. Looking at that video it's the same job just a little tight on access. As said, if they've been hot they can be a world of trouble but usually they blow chocolate mousse everywhere and get stopped before terminal damage can occur. . I used to buy 200 and 400 cars with blown gaskets very cheaply, sort them out and move them on. My son who was still at school did all the donkey work and I did the technical bits. Usually sold them on for double. He kept the profit.

OP
S

Stulc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k
Well nobody I know will do it apart from a garage I don't know but I was going to get the parts from Rimmer anyway.

If I'd known the guys I wouldn't do it I wouldn't have got it.

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
I just clicked on the link from an android tablet and it worked ok.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom