Old/Used Oil.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
This post is very loosely motoring related. :rolleyes:
After Creosoting my garage a couple of years ago, I found out that the formula for Creosote has changed and it has been renamed Creosote substitute. o_O
Basically, in comparison to the original tar based product, the modern stuff is carp. It didn't even last a year.
My question/query is, would it be wise to make up say, a 50 : 50 mix of old engine oil to the new substitute, in the hope that it would act more like the original and seep into the wood and protect it a little (a lot) better than the modern stuff?
I imagine the old oil would also kill off any fungi/mould?
I'm very tempted to try it but, a little worried that the oil, while initially giving better protection, might, damage the wood and effectively destroy the garage.
Any help/suggestions from the chemical knowledgeable vantage point/inclined, would be appreciated. Thanks! ;)

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
My Father used old engine oil to paint an old garden shed, it worked well but remained wet, smelly and sticky for many Years, especially through a hot summer.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
No, I would not advise it anyway....used engine oil should be disposed of only at recycling centers. Once you brush it on ( even mixed with creosote or other wood preservative ) it will still behave like engine oil, and everything that touches off it will be stained by it. And I think that the inflammability would be increased considerably too. Better to use the "modern" creosote, but maybe give it a few coat's? I remember using block's of wood in the workshop..3'x9"x6" "slab's" that were used for everything..putting under jacked up cars and trucks, wheel chock's etc. and after years of use in the workshop, having been literally soaked in waste oil, they never really dried out, and whenever you came into contact with them, you would always be stained.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You can still get real creosote for farm use.:D

Water based wood treatment is useless

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Since the demise of creosote I've applied water based preservatives 3 different ways, and IMHO it's the method of application as much as the product that makes a difference to longevity. Worst is brush, shortest life plus wastage as it runs down the wood onto the ground. Better is the little electric HVLP sprayer , but best of all is using the paraffin gun on my air compressor, set at 50-60psi depending on how think the jollop is. It forces the jollop into the wood, very little runs down the wood onto the ground, and the finish lasts well - more than the maybe 5 years it says on the tin! I have a long HP hose on the outlet side of my compressor, with a quick connect for whichever tool I need to use, makes things lots easier!

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Wicks Creocote is an oil based Creosote replacement I've used in the past 3/4 Years and it is still performing well with no loss of colour.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
I did this 50/50 mix of fence paint and old merc oil .This worked out well and the next time i removed the fence section to coat it i did it all in 50/50 mix.Both sides and it wont need painting again for some time to come .Its better than any fence or wood preservative carp .

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Fence panels are horrible things we have inherited some which I have replaced till our huge Berlin wall project is done.

The contractors for the other work on fronstep towers looked at me with pound signs in their eyes when i said I wanted the fence replacing with walls whilst access was good.

"We build four bedroomed houses with less bricks"

I have come to the conclusion that I need to get a bigger spending hat on.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I tried engine oil on our fence panels.. It didn't last anywhere near as long as ronsil fence coatings !
Oil does not damage wood (unless its teak oil which devastates teak)
As others have stated, spray it if possible as so much quicker and better penetration.
Sadolin superdeck is absolutely amazing on wood if you want a colour, the rougher the wood the longer it lasts. Water based but in all my years ive not come across anything that lasts as long.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
for 8 yrs i used stuff here in france thats 40 euro for 5/6 lit like a v/thin creosote, i did it every yr tho on tin it says 4/5 yr. now for the last 4 yr i mix 50/50 engine oil ex clk /a class and v doz with white spirit and that works great on all gates /double garage and lovelly,s studio . 5 lt white spirit is 11 euro. after a week or so there is almost no oilyness or mark on yr hands after rubbing wood . i am very happy with it. on garden tables i use a cheap new engine oil and white spirit .i treat the seating with the proper stuff ,keep arxxx clean ! so i do everything every yr for about 40 euro instead of at least 120..AND i get rid of my old eng oil....

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Decking oil? Quite good price from toolstation - Barrettine 5L £22.

Seems to spread well, water beads on the surface, I’m thinking of doing the summerhouse to match. :)

Top Bottom