Egr valve location clk 220cdi 2006 coupe? I think it needs cleaning

Bazhawkeye

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 220 CDi 2006 2.2 diesel coupe
i recently bought the above car, an automatic, which is pretty good but has a problem between cold starting and reaching operating temperature, when it behaves correctly.

Initially, it had a very bad kick when starting off from eg a roundabout, when it hesitated before changing up to second gear. I had the gearbox fluid changed and new filter which made a vast difference.

However, I have a situation where the engine rises and falls, when not under great power, say when driving at 30 mph or 40 mph etc. The rev counter moves up and down around 1500 to 2000 rpm. Some gear changes are a bit rough. Once the engine is hot, this anomaly ceases and the car drives normally.

I think it may be a clogged egr valve, having read various articles online, but do not know where this is located on the engine or how to clean it. Some articles say they can be cleaned in situ, others remove then and manually remove the soot etc. Can anyone help please? Pictures would also help if possible.
Thanks in advance, Bazza

OP
B

Bazhawkeye

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With no help from this forum, I found the egr valve, removed it, cleaned the soot off it and replaced it. Not a bit of difference to the cold engine problems but seems slightly more spritely!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There were about three EGR removal threads running at the same time as yours. The answer on all of them was don't bother it won't make any difference.

OP
B

Bazhawkeye

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that. I did look but could not find anything. Can you assist with my car problem?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Thanks for that. I did look but could not find anything. Can you assist with my car problem?
Not really. Most of my knowledge is petrol but the sitting revs when cold sound like my V8 as it hunts back and forth between gears when cold on a training throttle. My e class also does it.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom