Any F1 fans

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I think Reckless is a fair description, and as for switching the position markers around was just plain childish.
Also storming through the Mercedes garage, showed total disrespect.
You can say that whenever a drives loses control, comes off the track that this is reckless. As for driving into Hamilton, he was trying his best to save the car.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
We have to bear in mind that the stewards have access to the full set of telemetry data from the cars, unlike the viewers.
They were obviously of the opinion that Vettel could have taken some avoiding action once he lost the back end - maybe he kept the power on exacerbating the situation.
Certainly the judgement is in line with previous incidents of a similar nature, including those where a driver loses control and crashes into another car on re-joining the track.
As a racing spectacle though I didn't like it. Drivers winning on penalties doesn't sit well on anyone.
The question still remains, would Hamilton have tried harder if the Mercedes team hadn't expressly told him to hang back?

RIB1001

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350, CLC180k
Even so as an MB fan I did not like to win the way we did, and 5 secs was way too long a punishment on Vettel, 2 would have been enough and left us with a real race to the finish

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
After the announcement Lewis asked his team for full power and reduced the gap at one point to 0.6 seconds, think he wanted to overtake but was later told to back off..

Mercedes SL500 R231

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I've watched and re-watched the incident and I am of the opinion that Vettel deliberately turned into Hamilton to force him to back out or back off.
I am extremely *issed that everyone is patting Vettel on the back and saying, "there, there Seb, you were robbed", when he was, imho, clearly cheating and trying to force Hamilton off the track.
Basically he got what he deserved, and, his anger is aimed at himself as, he knows what he did was wrong.
Vettel was steering to the left but the car was suffering from understeer so continued to move to the right and into Hamiltons path, watch the in car camera footage.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
If a drivers leaves the track and re enters causing another driver to take avoiding action or brake, he will be penalised.
It is considered an unsafe re entry and although I feel for Vettel on this occasion, he kept his foot down instead of lifting off and letting Hamilton onto the racing line. If Hamilton hadn't braked there would have been a collision.
So any driver that leaves the track for whatever reason should be penalised? That's not how it works.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Here is the definitive statement of the rules:
Screenshot_20190610_183537_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Vettel clearly left the track so was adjudged to not have rejoined safely. 14576564-7121911-image-a-40_1560115229294.jpg If you recall Japan 2018 Max Verstappen was awarded a similar penalty and was far less off the track than Vettel.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Vettel was steering to the left but the car was suffering from understeer so continued to move to the right and into Hamiltons path, watch the in car camera footage.

I agree up to the point where he gives the wheel a quick jink to the right and in doing so moving his car even more into Hamilton’s path when, if he had just kept going straight, his car would have not impeded Hamilton at all. Mind Hamilton would have gotten past as Vettel would have lost even more momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Vettel rejoined the track on the racing line whether he had lost some control of the car or not, this caused Hamilton to back off or he would have been forced into the wall and consequently Vettel was penalised. Vettel might have not been penalised in one of the lower formula races but not under F1 scrutiny nowadays

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I wonder if 2019 will be the last season we see Vettel?

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Vettel was being pressured by Hamilton as a consequence he pushed his car beyond its limit of grip and left the track.

Hamilton kept to the racing line and was in a position to pass Vettel but had to brake when Vettel came back onto track squeezing him against the wall.

I cannot see that there was much Vettel could have done in the circumstances but the fact remains it was his error and Hamilton did nothing wrong therefore I think the stewards made the right decision.

Mind you had Hamilton have passed it would have been a possibly very exciting end to the race.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
It was a bad decision by the Stewards. It is ruining F1. They need to be consistent with the rules.
As pointed out above, it has happened before and a clear case of

Attachments

• IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 10

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Yep - the Law's the Law.

Lewis did'nt put a foot wrong all race long.
And if Seb hadn't chosen to 'take a shortcut' we wouldn't be having this chat.
Added a bit of spice to a boring race, tho!

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
Yep - the Law's the Law.

Lewis did'nt put a foot wrong all race long.
And if Seb hadn't chosen to 'take a shortcut' we wouldn't be having this chat.
Added a bit of spice to a boring race, tho!
Must admit I never saw Lewis lock up once, probably several times :D

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Must admit I never saw Lewis lock up once, probably several times :D

Hardest race he has ever had, best fans in the world, we win together, we loose together, can't believe he was on the wrong tyres, had to fight to keep the car on the road

Top Bottom