Charging battery - in-situ?

jarvis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 (2016)
I have a 2016 A Class. Nowadays it's used much less often and then it tends to be for short journeys. The start-stop (which I know is a sensitive beast) rarely works and this tells me the battery probably isn't getting the necessary charge.

Is there a type of charger I can buy which I could use without disconnecting the battery? I would much rather this and don't want any bother with any resulting issues that might bring.

Any help appreciated as I can imagine the battery letting me down at some point in the future.

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
I use these on my BMW and Ferrari. I've been using these since 2004 and if you buy a Carcoon it comes with one.
https://www.optimate.co.uk/

However CTEK as mentioned above are another I would recommend. I believe Ferrari branded conditioners are CTEK.

I did for a while use a cheaper Maypole conditioner which eventually gave up the ghost. Fortunately no problems occurred but as such I would not suggest a cheaper brand personally.

OP
J

jarvis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 (2016)
Thanks - these look slightly cheaper so will read more. I definitely want to go on recommendation as Amazon, for example, has loads but not from brands I've heard of and I'm terrified I'd fry the car.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I use optimates on the bike and Landy and they keep them in perfect condition

OP
J

jarvis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 (2016)
Thanks.
I just noticed that MB OEM chargers are CTEK so that's another tick for them.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
^+1 for CTEK 5, been using CTEK for years without any problems. Better to buy an acid glass mat compatible charger nowadays

"Absorbent Glass Mat".

I've been using a CTEK for about 10 years - water resistant, been left in the rain, dropped etc no problems.....MB/Porche/BMW et al sell chargers which are rebranded CTEK.

My manual says to connect the charger to the jump start posts!

Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
CTEK chargers are great, I have an MXS 5.0 and a MXS 10.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I fitted one of the CTEK quick release connectors so it is easy to do a quick top up.

The CTEK 5.0 I have has an AGM setting but I don't know when this feature was added.

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
Thanks - these look slightly cheaper so will read more. I definitely want to go on recommendation as Amazon, for example, has loads but not from brands I've heard of and I'm terrified I'd fry the car.
The Accumate/Optimate I am totally confident with hence using it on my 360 which I really could not afford to fry :D You will get these cheaper than the CTEK.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom