270 cdi whooshing air noise on boost

dannyfiveforty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2003
All of a sudden my 270cdi has created a what sounds like a boost leak. with the window down its a very loud air rushing sound, with the windows up it sounds like its coming from inside the dash on passenger side.

I found that the pipe off the turbo right beneath the radiator hoses had come off with quite a bit of oil around there, i have just put it back on thinking it would fix it but noise is still there, I have checked the other joints on the passenger side and cant seem to see any problems..

Any common areas/things to be looking for?

Thanks

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
check your all boost hoses for splits pal , be thorough as they can be subtle , get someone to rev the engine while you look for leaks

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
As above.... it's probably a split pipe, the air intake pipe between the air filter and turbo are prone to splitting on these, won't necessarily trigger an eml or loss of power but can be quite noisy.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Pipes dont blow off without reason.

Chances are you have a blocked KAT and that is the swoosh noise you hear, air trying to escape any where it can. Its probably split another pipe in the process..

Check the fault codes, if you have a charge pressure too high fault code then I would be looking at a blocked exhaust.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Would that be the pipe that you get to under the front drivers side wheel arch where it connects to the intercooler?
Mine came off, similar noise.. found out it was caused by the metal tabs that hold the clips of the rubber pipe on had corroded away ! Now its held on with lots of cable ties, still leaks a little but much cheaper than replacing the intercooler !

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I wonder if there is a seal or gasket which has fallen off when the pipe came apart , that you didn't see when you put it back together again ?

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
The first cats probably collapsed blocking the secondary.

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E-class, 2005, E270CDI (2.7) + 1992 Mercedes 500SL (R129)
All of a sudden my 270cdi has created a what sounds like a boost leak. with the window down its a very loud air rushing sound, with the windows up it sounds like its coming from inside the dash on passenger side.

I found that the pipe off the turbo right beneath the radiator hoses had come off with quite a bit of oil around there, i have just put it back on thinking it would fix it but noise is still there, I have checked the other joints on the passenger side and cant seem to see any problems..

Any common areas/things to be looking for?

Thanks
Did you find a fix?? Mine has literally just started doing the same! Car behaves normally but you get that whooshing sound!

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mine did this and found it was a sheered bolt on the inlet manifold.
Interesting, did you do it yourself or by a garage? Also was expensive to repair if done by a garage?

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Interesting, did you do it yourself or by a garage? Also was expensive to repair if done by a garage?
It's wasn't the cheapest to be honest the manifold itself was £308 and took 5 hours to complete. I'm not the most mechanical person in the world but there is people who do it themselves. With mine the leak came from the top of the bonnet when driving and Could only hear it when you put your foot down. Total price was around £600.

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's wasn't the cheapest to be honest the manifold itself was £308 and took 5 hours to complete. I'm not the most mechanical person in the world but there is people who do it themselves. With mine the leak came from the top of the bonnet when driving and Could only hear it when you put your foot down. Total price was around £600.
Mine is has the exact same symptoms, not bad when driving gently but when you accelerate hard thats when you really hear it, bugger looks like this going to be the issue, could you identify it on idle? Also did you get any error codes?

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Mine is has the exact same symptoms, not bad when driving gently but when you accelerate hard thats when you really hear it, bugger looks like this going to be the issue, could you identify it on idle? Also did you get any error codes?
Couldn't really hear anything on idle and at the time I didn't have a reader. But I'm sure when I took it in they said a code for jammed swirl flaps kept coming up. The car kept going in and out of limp mode. I wish I had got it sorted sooner as soon after getting that fixed I had a host of sensor issues. Dpf pressure sensor, catalyst temperature sensor and oxygen sensors came up needed up replacing all of them. My indy said it was because I left it so long to fix and with the car trying to regen often damaged the sensors overtime. I did leave it about 6 weeks tho.

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Couldn't really hear anything on idle and at the time I didn't have a reader. But I'm sure when I took it in they said a code for jammed swirl flaps kept coming up. The car kept going in and out of limp mode. I wish I had got it sorted sooner as soon after getting that fixed I had a host of sensor issues. Dpf pressure sensor, catalyst temperature sensor and oxygen sensors came up needed up replacing all of them. My indy said it was because I left it so long to fix and with the car trying to regen often damaged the sensors overtime. I did leave it about 6 weeks tho.
I haven't got a dpf on this car, nor is the car going into limp mode its pulling as it should with no error codes! was yours a facelifted W211?

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you checked the boost hose? Could be that
Checked the hoses, the part where the airbox goes onto is a little loose but its definitely not that as it sounds like air being blown rather than being sucked!

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Soapy water spray will show up a blowing leak.

At idle, spraying something like Bradex Easy Start will show up an induction leak (revs will increase)

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Soapy water spray will show up a blowing leak.

At idle, spraying something like Bradex Easy Start will show up an induction leak (revs will increase)
I'll have a look when i get home, i assume wait for it too cool down then spray somthing onto it and start it up?? I am just hoping one of the seals has blown!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom