What car do I get next?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The main problem for all the Diesels out there is a lack of choice when buying new, MB petrol options were poor for years, only the 250CGi was decent but as most saloons are company cars they all went Diesel.

I would love an E400 Wagon but MB don't offer it so a 350CDi / d is the only choice IMO as I need an estate

RyanSL500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 Mercedes SL500 and 2014 Mercedes C220
My 2014 C220 coupe is great daily car! Decent on fuel (50-60 mpg on the motorway and high 30’s - low 40’s in normal urban driving. The C250 is the better engine, but there are a lot of C220’s about. Insurance was the main reason why I picked a C220 over a c250. But I imagine you won’t be so affected by that being a more experienced driver!

I’d say the pan roof is a must and the premium plus package with the reversing camera and nicer seats is nice! I’d avoid the Audio 20 system, go for at least a command system (bigger screen, Sat nav and a better sound system). The HK sound system is meant to be good, but I think the command system is decent as it is!

All the coupes come with intelligent HID lighting (auto main beam and lights connected the steering).

Only issues I’ve come across with the 2.2 diesels are the oil cooler leak (main dealer charge £1,500 for this - but it’s covered under the Mercedes used car/tier 1 warranty) and the stop start system causes the timing chain to go slack causing premature wear and that’s a very expensive job! So the best thing to do is go for a low mileage and as new a possible one!

With your budget, you can get one of the last of the diesel W204 coupes!

My second car is a R230’s SL500 so it sounds like we have similar taste!

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
Its time to part with my 2006 X Type though the engine runs better than new… It’s been utterly reliable during the 165,000 miles and apart from normal service items its only had a drop link, a windscreen washer pump and brake disks and pads all round. Now I am retired I’m tending to get caught in traffic more and its time to get another auto before I end up with one leg stronger than the other!

So what do I replace it with? I am going to budget £14K for the “sensible” car but I am a bit stuck about what to get. The basic criteria is 4 seats, 2.0 – 2.2 Litre Diesel (!), Auto and sporty looking – eg coupe of some sort. Year wise I suppose 2014 onwards.

As the Jag has been so reliable, I am tempted to look at an XE – especially as its all-aluminium and looks good. The C Class coupe is obviously a contender as well. Has anyone had the C220 and C250 coupe and noticed a big difference between the two in terms of performance. I’m veering towards the C250 on paper for that extra bit of power but is it that noticeable anyway I wonder?

I use to be an avid gadget fan but I seemed to have finally calmed down! So specification-wise I only need a decent sat-nav and sound system. Things like a pano roof and electric everything is always welcome and I say I'm not bothered about gadgets but of course I will be checking specs with a fine toothed comb... :)

One thing I have noticed tootling around on the roads is the number of C Class Mercs out there. They seem so common now that I feel I should be getting something a little rarer – hence the XE though the C Class coupe isn’t so prevalent and does look good.

I wonder if I am missing out on any hidden gems out there from other manufacturers. Any suggestions that meet the criteria welcome - though not VW/Audi's please![/QUOTE

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
Hmmm.

Not sure what happened there. So I'll start again!!!

Seeing your interest in an XE, I thought I would add my experience, over 8000km.
Apart from an assembly defect, when delivered, its been 100% reliable and all the toys work.

Pros
Good ride, even on 19 wheels.
Great roadholding.
Plenty of toys standard .
The V6 makes lovely noises.

The most entertaining car to drive I've had since my now long gone1988 RX7.

Cons
Sits low.
Its really a 2+2. not a 4dr family sedan (Tough to get a baby chair in the back)
Smallish trunk
Not as composed at long distance, say 3-400km, as my W204

Avoid 2015-early 2016, if possible

Bizarre range of models and engine combos, so a used one would need careful checking just to make sure that you get what you want.

Good luck

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
The story continues....

We went out to lunch at one of our favourite places today which is a quick 40 mile round trip. Stopped off at a garage on the way back that usually has some interesting vehicles. I knew they had an E250 Coupe, Jag XJ 3.0TD and a 5 Litre V8 XKR(no chance!).

What I didn't reckon on was the SLK 250CDI that had just come in, just been valeted and about to be marked up for sale. As it was just after 5pm I asked the chappie whether I could book a test drive tomorrow or Saturday and hes just tossed me the key and said "fill your boots" without any checks on my licence, name and address or anything!

Anyway, 30 minutes later I returned with a big smile on my face and even t'other half liked it. So that's thrown a cat amongst the pigeons. Okay, its a diesel but it has a fair amount of grunt, oodles of torque and rides well on 17" wheels. That's now set me off looking at SLK's. Will this torture never end :) ....

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The story continues....

We went out to lunch at one of our favourite places today which is a quick 40 mile round trip. Stopped off at a garage on the way back that usually has some interesting vehicles. I knew they had an E250 Coupe, Jag XJ 3.0TD and a 5 Litre V8 XKR(no chance!).

What I didn't reckon on was the SLK 250CDI that had just come in, just been valeted and about to be marked up for sale. As it was just after 5pm I asked the chappie whether I could book a test drive tomorrow or Saturday and hes just tossed me the key and said "fill your boots" without any checks on my licence, name and address or anything!

Anyway, 30 minutes later I returned with a big smile on my face and even t'other half liked it. So that's thrown a cat amongst the pigeons. Okay, its a diesel but it has a fair amount of grunt, oodles of torque and rides well on 17" wheels. That's now set me off looking at SLK's. Will this torture never end :) ....
Your wife obviously has impeccable taste :D

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Have you considered a CLS? They tick your boxes. A much rarer sight on the roads than other MB models, auto, stylish coupe design with plenty of interior space and find one with a few options ticked and you have enough gadgets and comfort to keep you entertained. Whats not to like? :)

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you considered a CLS? They tick your boxes. A much rarer sight on the roads than other MB models, auto, stylish coupe design with plenty of interior space and find one with a few options ticked and you have enough gadgets and comfort to keep you entertained. Whats not to like? :)

I looked at a CLS today but t'other half found it too big for her so that went out of the window...

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tested out a 65 Plate C Class Coupe a la 250CDI Today. It's certainly a nice vehicle and it was a good experience. This would be the sensible choice to replace the X Type but the test drive in the SLK has put a very large cat amongst the pigeons.. Since I parted with the R129, I've missed the top down driving and whilst the SLK isn't a practicable replacement for the X Type I think that's the direction I will be heading. Just need to find the right one for me now! Later on we will replace t'other halves car with something sensible in case we have to move stuff about and maybe keep with 2 cars instead of 3.

Dave779

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL350 2003 and Nissan Qashqai 1.2 Tekna 2016
If your interested, my beloved dry weather only SL350 is up for sale ?

OP
davidsl500

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If your interested, my beloved dry weather only SL350 is up for sale ?

If I had another SL it would have to be a 500 again. I just love the V8 rumble. However, t'other half wouldn't drive my SL500 ( what a shame! :) ) so I have to rule it out. Besides, yours would get a culture shock as it would be our daily go to, all weather car and it would be a shame to hoist that on your immaculate motor..

Dave779

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL350 2003 and Nissan Qashqai 1.2 Tekna 2016
If I had another SL it would have to be a 500 again. I just love the V8 rumble. However, t'other half wouldn't drive my SL500 ( what a shame! :) ) so I have to rule it out. Besides, yours would get a culture shock as it would be our daily go to, all weather car and it would be a shame to hoist that on your immaculate motor..

Thanks for looking and yes it would a shame, like sending a private school kid to borstal ! Lol

Matthew Polaine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class 2011 350CGI
So what did you buy in the end (3 months later on this thread)?

I have a 2011 facelift C350CGI Sport with Dynamic Suspension pack. It sounds quite a bit different to four-pots, more than I thought it would, and more like a burbling V8. In Eco/normal mode during normal driving it's still seems a pretty normal car. Note that this is my wife's car and I drive a 305bhp/tonne Caterham Seven weighing a third of the C350.

The monster low rpm surge of a 350CDI isn't there but I prefer that, it's much smoother around town and in traffic. It also revs beautifully...

It's not the same as other 350s I've been in, this one has had some factory-fitted from new 'upgrades' but they are subtle. The various added packages have changed the ECU profiling too...

Put the settings into Sport mode and it really does feel like a 300bhp+ beast. I am honestly surprised how quick it is and in a race with the Caterham, it'd overtake me at around 110mph as the aerodynamics of the Caterham are dire. Over 1.5 tonnes to 60mph in 6 seconds is seriously quick, but it's how it does it that really shocks. Mid-range 50-80mph acceleration is phenomenal. I've driven a C55 which is more manic of course, but it's not that much quicker. The 7-Gtronic Plus box makes the most of that M276 DE35 engine. I was actually considering a similar era E63 N/A, but this C350 CGI is 75% as good for 98% of the time for a fraction of the running costs.

In summary, massively different to the C250 CGI, and other 350 CGIs I've been in. Not really comparable to a CDI.

Top Bottom