Engine won’t start - C220 CDI CLASSIC SE - 208.203, OM646.963 engine.

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
After re installing the injectors and getting a refurbished turbo charger I have today just finished getting my C220 into a state to restart the engine before putting the front tyres back on ready for it’s MOT.
I re connected the battery, put the key in the ignition waited for the warning lights to go out and turned the key.
All that was heard was a very heavy clunk!! And that was it.
Suffice to say this has been a Huge learning curve for someone who has never attempted this before. I had a major turbocharger failure last November and the car was then not touched until about 6 weeks ago. I have stripped down and cleaned out the alternator, the turbocharger outer parts and also made sure the injector nozzles were clean, and all nozzle holes clear. I had a black death situation so that has also been cleaned up. Most of the engine bay has been given a good clean up as far as was possible. New filters, clean oil, new timing belt, new battery. But when the ignition switch was turned,....just a clunk. Nothing else. Foxed!!!! Unless it’s the starter motor?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
What charge has the battery got buddy ? (I know you said it's new , but it may have been sitting around )

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
SCA_13168_hi-res.jpg

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Check the earthing straps as a first target (battery to body, to starter motor). The starter motor also has a solenoid that has a sepaerate wire going to it from the ignitiion, and a bad contact here would produce the symptoms you describe.
As Wighty says, it could also be the battery itself. One quick test for this is to turn on the headlights, and then try to crank the engine. They will dim slightly, but if they go really dim then there is either a bad earth or possibly the battery is dodgy - or requires a charge even though it might seem fine. New batteries do fail - not just old ones.

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
Without looking, but, you`ve had injector trouble, and I`m thinking, is one of your cylinders full of diesel stopping it turning over.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
What charge has the battery got buddy ? (I know you said it's new , but it may have been sitting around )

Hi Wighty. Sorry. Because the battery I bought from Halfords in Jan 2018 had a 5 year warranty and was suspected faulty, I got it replaced in May this year. So 17th May was a brand new battery installed.
I’m wondering if it’s a starter motor issue. Especially as there is no movement with the timing belt.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Without looking, but, you`ve had injector trouble, and I`m thinking, is one of your cylinders full of diesel stopping it turning over.

Stopping it turning over? How and how do I rectify that?

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
Stopping it turning over? How and how do I rectify that?

The old way was to slacken off the injectors, then try and spin it over. If one has got some diesel in it might damage the crank if you don`t let it go.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Check the earthing straps as a first target (battery to body, to starter motor). The starter motor also has a solenoid that has a sepaerate wire going to it from the ignitiion, and a bad contact here would produce the symptoms you describe.
As Wighty says, it could also be the battery itself. One quick test for this is to turn on the headlights, and then try to crank the engine. They will dim slightly, but if they go really dim then there is either a bad earth or possibly the battery is dodgy - or requires a charge even though it might seem fine. New batteries do fail - not just old ones.

Just tested the voltage. 12.27 Volts. No load.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
The old way was to slacken off the injectors, then try and spin it over. If one has got some diesel in it might damage the crank if you don`t let it go.

And the new way?,....

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes

I am just getting a ‘Clunk’ from the engine, nothing else!!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul

That''s about 60% charged. It could do with a boost, although I don't think that's your basic trouble. If you have a CTEK or similar, it would pay to put it on overnight.
A fully charged battery should read around 12.6 volts with engine off, and between 13.7 - 14.7 when the engine is running. If it ever reads a bare 12 volts or slightly less, then you're looking at a discharged battery.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The clunk is the sound of the starter motor engaging but then it’s not turning.

Is the engine free to turn over?

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
That''s about 60% charged. It could do with a boost, although I don't think that's your basic trouble. If you have a CTEK or similar, it would pay to put it on overnight.
A fully charged battery should read around 12.6 volts with engine off, and between 13.7 - 14.7 when the engine is running. If it ever reads a bare 12 volts or slightly less, then you're looking at a discharged battery.

Okay. Will get the battery charged up.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I believe so yes. What could stop it?

Could be a number of things, I’d try and turn the engine over by hand before trying to start it off the starter motor again

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD

That's low enough for a MB cdi 'non-start', IME.
Charged up, should be fine.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
Could be a number of things, I’d try and turn the engine over by hand before trying to start it off the starter motor again

I’ve no experience of doing that so please, do enlighten me. How does one turn the engine by hand?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I’ve no experience of doing that so please, do enlighten me. How does one turn the engine by hand?

I believe if you put the car in neutral , you can use a long bar on the front pulley nut of the crankshaft . Which is one of the pulleys on the front belt .....it will be the larger one middle of the engine towards the bottom of the belt . You will want to turn it so the belt moves the way it would when the engine is running

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom