M271 engine misfire

Greenmotors

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
05 W211 1.8 E200
Hello all,

Can any one point me in the right direction please as I have a bad misfire in my 2004 Mercedes E200 1.8 (M271) Kompresser engine that I cannot fix? Basically I have checked as much as I know about and still have not found an issue. I am trying to keep the cost down so I don’t want to through new parts at it or bring it to a main dealer.

I have checked timing, all good.

I have checked compression in all cylinders and they are in between 165 -175 Psi.

I have cleaned the MAF.

Changed the cam solenoids as I was getting error codes.

I have checked all coils, moved them around and pulled the plugs when car is running to hear a rev drop.

Checked all spark plugs, plug holes had oil in them from a leak in the rocker cover gasket, changed it also.

Checked for a torn tube under the air box and at the back of the air box, have not pulled out Kompressor yet to examine that pipe but the one above it was new and I can’t see evidence of a tear in the one under the Kompressor.

What have I missed??? Is there another component that is the cause of this.

Just to say the misfire was only noticeable when idling and driving it was fine. Now I feel it has become much worse as the last time I took it for a drive the car was hesitant and louder. If I leave it a few days not started it starts up a lot better, what I mean by this is the engine is not as loud but it comes back into it within 3 minutes and now sound like I have left a spanner in the engine.

I have a icarsoft scanner, is there anything I can do with this to determine through live data what the issue is.

I have used this to pull codes and have seen many but the latest ones are P201A-000, p200B-000 & p2042-000. Apologies for this long winded question but I would really appreciate some help and detail may help come up with an answer.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
How's the timing chain...

OP
G

Greenmotors

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
05 W211 1.8 E200
did you check the timing with the engine running ?
No I have not done this, can I ask how do I do this? Forgive my ignorance but I taught this could only be done by turning the crankshaft by hand. Is it done using a diagnostic tool.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
you will need live data , its worth having it put on star pal , that will pin point the fault , im sure there will be an indy near to you who can help , where are you based ??

OP
G

Greenmotors

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
05 W211 1.8 E200
I have tried to find an Indy locally but no luck. I live in Ireland in the country so it means getting a tow truck to a dealer. Can you see why I want to avoid this if I can. But if this is what I need to do I will have to do it. Will icarsoft mb 11 not give me anything.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Hello all,

Can any one point me in the right direction please as I have a bad misfire in my 2004 Mercedes E200 1.8 (M271) Kompresser engine that I cannot fix? Basically I have checked as much as I know about and still have not found an issue. I am trying to keep the cost down so I don’t want to through new parts at it or bring it to a main dealer.

I have checked timing, all good.

I have checked compression in all cylinders and they are in between 165 -175 Psi.

I have cleaned the MAF.

Changed the cam solenoids as I was getting error codes.

I have checked all coils, moved them around and pulled the plugs when car is running to hear a rev drop.

Checked all spark plugs, plug holes had oil in them from a leak in the rocker cover gasket, changed it also.

Checked for a torn tube under the air box and at the back of the air box, have not pulled out Kompressor yet to examine that pipe but the one above it was new and I can’t see evidence of a tear in the one under the Kompressor.

What have I missed??? Is there another component that is the cause of this.

Just to say the misfire was only noticeable when idling and driving it was fine. Now I feel it has become much worse as the last time I took it for a drive the car was hesitant and louder. If I leave it a few days not started it starts up a lot better, what I mean by this is the engine is not as loud but it comes back into it within 3 minutes and now sound like I have left a spanner in the engine.

I have a icarsoft scanner, is there anything I can do with this to determine through live data what the issue is.

I have used this to pull codes and have seen many but the latest ones are P201A-000, p200B-000 & p2042-000. Apologies for this long winded question but I would really appreciate some help and detail may help come up with an answer.
P200B Component N15/3(ETC control module) is faulty.
P201A B6/1 (Camshaft Hall sensor)(P0341)
P201A B6/3 (camshaft Hall sensor,right cylinder bank)(P0341)
I have tried to find an Indy locally but no luck. I live in Ireland in the country so it means getting a tow truck to a dealer. Can you see why I want to avoid this if I can. But if this is what I need to do I will have to do it. Will icarsoft mb 11 not give me anything.
Have you checked for oil wicking into the wiring harness as this is a problem and can cause all sorts of errors. Check especially at the ECU plugs and the after cat O2 sensor. I see you have changed the cam magnets did you fit the wiring harness oil blockers at the same time?

OP
G

Greenmotors

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
05 W211 1.8 E200
P200B Component N15/3(ETC control module) is faulty.
P201A B6/1 (Camshaft Hall sensor)(P0341)
P201A B6/3 (camshaft Hall sensor,right cylinder bank)(P0341)

Have you checked for oil wicking into the wiring harness as this is a problem and can cause all sorts of errors. Check especially at the ECU plugs and the after cat O2 sensor. I see you have changed the cam magnets did you fit the wiring harness oil blockers at the same time?
Yes I checked the ecu plug and harness for oil and i could see no oil. I will check again though. The solenoids were changed not for any leak reasons but to shut off a code I was seeing so I did not change the harness at that time. Do you think the hall sensor is faulty what ever that is or are these codes a result of a different fault throwing up random codes

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Yes I checked the ecu plug and harness for oil and i could see no oil. I will check again though. The solenoids were changed not for any leak reasons but to shut off a code I was seeing so I did not change the harness at that time. Do you think the hall sensor is faulty what ever that is or are these codes a result of a different fault throwing up random codes
All I'm doing is guessing and using what experience I've had with my M271.
As suggested do another scan and save any codes shown and look at the live data.
I had a faulty exhaust cam position sensor recently which leaked oil into the connector there but it didn't cause a misfire or any noise.
Check around for any loose or corroded connectors.
Here is the list of fault codes I use.
https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/full-diagnostic-trouble-codes-list.167900/
Edit.
Just a thought have you looked at the fuel side at all, injectors, pump, filter pressure etc.

Last edited:
OP
G

Greenmotors

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
05 W211 1.8 E200
Oldspanners i really appreciate your input, and experience is as good of a help in fixing these issues as spending hundreds giving it to a dealership to attempt to fix it. This is a car that is immaculate and i intend to keep it this condition for years, it is not a daily driver more for to keep it for a classic so i am not in a hurry to have it fixed at a big financial cost. I have experience with many other cars but Mercedes seams to be one of those cars that if you don't have the star diagnostics or don't intend to through loads of money at a problem it will be a matter of using other peoples experience and your time to fix the problem. I will definitely look for oil where it should not be and check for loose connections as you have suggested.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom