Creaking noise on b class steering

Eddie fh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class 2017 220d
Hi , when manoeuvring at low speeds 1-10 mph and steering I’m getting a creaking type off sound . Not sure if my car has power steering fluid reservoir as I can’t find it or anything written in owners manual. Cars a 2017 b class I’ve no warning lights on and car feels safe to drive it’s been doing it for a while but I think it’s getting worse , cars still in warranty so can always go back for the dealer to look at . Can anyone shed any light please on the problem eddie

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Does it creak when you only turn it one way? Or does it do the same noise turning both ways?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
You have electric power steering. As it's under warranty, make sure they make note that you have reported the fault and ensure they fix it!

OP
E

Eddie fh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class 2017 220d
Does it creak when you only turn it one way? Or does it do the same noise turning both ways?
Hi , definitely does it steering to the left when pulling on drive but need to check on turning right

OP
E

Eddie fh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class 2017 220d
You have electric power steering. As it's under warranty, make sure they make note that you have reported the fault and ensure they fix it!
Yep definitely going to book it in local dealer next month , it’s been making to noise a while now

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Hi , definitely does it steering to the left when pulling on drive but need to check on turning right
Mine developed a creak when only turning right I had to replace the thrust arm. Cant imagine this would be the same issue on yours as its only few years old mine last 8 years before needing replaced. Unless it's a faulty part of course.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Mine developed a creak when only turning right I had to replace the thrust arm. Cant imagine this would be the same issue on yours as its only few years old mine last 8 years before needing replaced. Unless it's a faulty part of course.
Age is a contributing factor, road conditions, pot holes and traffic calming are more of an issue, they can really damage your suspension, tyres and badly affect your steering.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Age is a contributing factor, road conditions, pot holes and traffic calming are more of an issue, they can really damage your suspension, tyres and badly affect your steering.

You can ease the problem here by making sure you are not braking when you hit a speed bump. :rolleyes:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
You can ease the problem here by making sure you are not braking when you hit a speed bump. :rolleyes:
Yes, and not trying to straddle it either, that puts a lot of strain on the inside of the wheels and tyres.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Really I didn't know that.
I’ve had a rear wheel lose an inside edge and I know of a few others, put down to getting pinched on traffic calming. Of course you can’t see the damage occurring as it’s on the inside edge of the tyres. I now always put one wheel in the gap and one over the middle of the hump*

*unless I’m in the Land Rover as I don’t even notice them in that :D

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I’ve had a rear wheel lose an inside edge and I know of a few others, put down to getting pinched on traffic calming. Of course you can’t see the damage occurring as it’s on the inside edge of the tyres. I now always put one wheel in the gap and one over the middle of the hump*

*unless I’m in the Land Rover as I don’t even notice them in that :D
There's loads near my sons school. I have always gone wheel either side (untill now) :mad:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There's loads near my sons school. I have always gone wheel either side (untill now) :mad:
I had a house with them in the road in and out, it cost me 2 tyres. Hate the things

OP
E

Eddie fh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B class 2017 220d
Quick update, cars booked in early next month ; service advisor said it could be something called wheel slip / skip and it happens more as tyres wear , (mines got decent enough tyres on ).
Anything above 8mph I can’t here it

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Quick update, cars booked in early next month ; service advisor said it could be something called wheel slip / skip and it happens more as tyres wear , (mines got decent enough tyres on ).
It's not a 4-matic is it? (4 wheel drive)

The 4 wheel drive Mercedes suffer with wheel slip on tight turns when manoeuvring - I don't think this is your issue

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
HAHAH seems he is already trying too sneak out if and say you need new tyres.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom