The future of performance motoring and why it makes me sad..

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
A while back I read on here that Mercedes were discontinuing V12 engines, which made me a little sad.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been thinking more and more about where performance motoring is going. It looks like the engines are getting smaller with each new release with turbos being added in lieu of displacement, and fancy exhausts to compensate the acoustics.

For example, the new top end SLC(K) has a V6, previously a V8 and the new SL has a V8, previously a V12. Also take a look at the A45s can put out about 416PS, which will give an indication of where the larger lines could possibly be headed.

Cue my first world problem.. This all makes me a little sad. I appreciate a nice motor with a growly engine for some fun. I am at a stage in my life where I see these great cars on a daily basis, but not quite at the stage where I can go out and buy one due to various associated costs.

Fast forward 10 or so years.. assuming all goes well and i've saved a few quid. These things probably won't even exist to buy. The old ones I would like to buy now will probably be relics by then, and potentially quite expensive given the rarity of them.

If my currently banger S212 keeps going as it is (touch wood). I was planning on buying an SL/SLK as a run around late next year. Perhaps I will _need_ to buy a V8 (55 AMG/500) as the opportunity for acquiring these could be diminishing..

... I haven't even mentioned the politics of it all and how the various tax men might put their own slant on things. That said, I do understand engine sizes are dropping in part due to political pressure.

For me the whole eco point is moot because I will probably only do a couple K miles per year in a big V8 rumbler. My current car is due to do about 4k this year and I use literally at every possible opportunity.

What do people think?

EDIT: I read an article the other day that said modern cars are more expensive to fix and thus contributing to increasing insurance premiums.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Hmmmm..

I suppose that in future, the ‘muscle’ cars will be electric, with amazingingly quick acceleration.

The current V8s will always be fun, but won’t fully compete.

Let’s enjoy whilst we can, and keep ‘em rolling

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmmmm..

I suppose that in future, the ‘muscle’ cars will be electric, with amazingingly quick acceleration.

The current V8s will always be fun, but won’t fully compete.

Let’s enjoy whilst we can, and keep ‘em rolling

Very true that.

Great signature btw! :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You can pick up V8 r230s for about 5k these days. Just be prepared for more outlay on the non-engine parts.
I have long thought this is the last generation with any hope of enjoying new big rumbly V8 engines.
That's why I have two of them.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I have only ever owned one V8 and that was the most uninspiring V8 ever. It was an early Lexus LS400 that I bought second hand and I think it was about 4 years old when I bought it. I thought I was the dogs dangly bits in that but thinking back it was an 'orrible thing, completely characterless :(:rolleyes:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Well in essence this thread is the reason I am where I am today! I am questioned often why a petrol headed AMG V8 owner would go hybrid PHEV...it’s the “sad” future so best get the best of the rest now is my feeling

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well in essence this thread is the reason I am where I am today! I am questioned often why a petrol headed AMG V8 owner would go hybrid PHEV...it’s the “sad” future so best get the best of the rest now is my feeling
Fair enough... But again I hadn't thought of the i8 when writing this. That's helps brighten the future I guess.

I am sure the manufacturers will keep the performance heritage alive with models like that. Hopefully it won't all Leafs..

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I agree with you conor , im going to make the most of the time left before its nigh impossible to own / enjoy a big V engine , I hate where the worlds going and mores the point that the powers that be think cars are the cause of all evil , quite what they are going to do once the ICE is irradicated remains to be seen :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree with you conor , im going to make the most of the time left before its nigh impossible to own / enjoy a big V engine , I hate where the worlds going and mores the point that the powers that be think cars are the cause of all evil , quite what they are going to do once the ICE is irradicated remains to be seen :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Exactly.. the killer for me (and probably many) is that these larger engine cars are often secondary and do small mileage. Like I say, I will probably do only a couple k miles per year in one.

Somebody with a 1.5 or so engine commuting for 2 hours each day will do far more damager imho. Now, I must be clear, i'm not complaining about these road users as they have their own needs etc and public transport probably isn't an option. The point is that larger engines are lower hanging fruit as a means to widening tax base really.

But to be honest, with you guys, however bad you think it is here... Have you seen the rates in Ireland. https://www.carzone.ie/news/motoringadvice/Motor-and-Road-Tax-Prices-Ireland-2017-1437.html

If you think the UK is bad, the Irish are well able to load on taxes (and stealth versions too).

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I've always loved big engined cars. My neighbour has recently bought a Vauxhall Insignia and l went out to chat with him about it. I asked what size engine it was, fully expecting 1.8 or 2 litre. I was astonished when he said it was a 1.4 petrol ! In a car that size !!! Don't know if I'm just too old now and set in my ways but to me that's grossly insufficient. Apparently it moves very well but l can't see it lasting that long.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've always loved big engined cars. My neighbour has recently bought a Vauxhall Insignia and l went out to chat with him about it. I asked what size engine it was, fully expecting 1.8 or 2 litre. I was astonished when he said it was a 1.4 petrol ! In a car that size !!! Don't know if I'm just too old now and set in my ways but to me that's grossly insufficient. Apparently it moves very well but l can't see it lasting that long.

Exactly that.. I see them squeezing more power of smaller engines these days. Especially when a turbo is bolted on. Supposedly those engines aren't expected to last much more than 100k miles.

I recall an interview with designer of the Bugatti Veyrons engine.. he was saying that the engine is physically massive to put up with the power output. He was saying a regular V8 could easily put out the same power, but it wouldn't last long.

Same thing with these hairdryers I guess... If my S212 was a 200/250 engine with 190k miles, I probably wouldn't have bought it. But a 3.5 V6 should get to 400k I would imagine. I am on track to do 4k miles this year so not really a concern for me.

So.. I guess the jury has spoken. I need a V8 and sharpish.. earlier in the week I was thinking I should spring for a SL 65 V12, but that ain't happening.

The ideal machine would be a SL 55 AMG I think, as if bought right, these could retain value nicely I think?

Last edited:

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
So.. I guess the jury has spoken. I need a V8 and sharpish.. earlier in the week I was thinking I should spring for a SL 65 V12, but that ain't happening.
I'ver never had a V8 (did drive one for an hour at an AMG Experience) and, at my age, I doubt I ever will. So young man(!), go out and get one as soon as you can afford it and enjoy it as long as you can. In the meantime, I'll stick with my V6 until the powers that be make it illegal :(

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I’ve been privileged enough to have owned 2x V8s and a V10 so I’m lucky . ....I’d like a V 12 before it goes south mind

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I've had many many V8's. You just don't rate if you ain't got an 8 :D

Want to buy my SL55 AMG Conor??

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've had many many V8's. You just don't rate if you ain't got an 8 :D

Want to buy my SL55 AMG Conor??

Hehe, time to part ways with one of your V8 SLs, you greedy little so and so :p Are you up for selling it? I probably won't buy until next year.

On a side note.. I was doing a little light browsing and came across this gem... Wait until you here his comments regarding long distance travel. I giggled.. then winced.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Yes Coner, it will be for sale, but I wait till the right moment ;)

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes Coner, it will be for sale, but I wait till the right moment ;)

i.e. The right price? :laugh.

Anyway, do keep me in mind.. would be nice to trade with a fellow MBO'er.. but don't bank on it. I am still researching and I might opt for an SLK instead.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
i.e. The right price? :laugh.

Anyway, do keep me in mind.. would be nice to trade with a fellow MBO'er.. but don't bank on it. I am still researching and I might opt for an SLK instead.
Of course it will be the right price, the right price for 00slk :rolleyes:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom