w219 cls fuse box

Terrykal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 cls55 amg
hi,
car is a 2006 w219 cls 500.
right now i have my dash cam connected in the cigarette lighter but i would like to connect it directly to a fuse box in order to be able to close the cigarette lighter opening and not being opened all the time while driving.
basically i would like to use a fuse box that is powered with ignition only.
any advice in regards to which fuse box I should use in the specific car? i have read online that in some mercedes models the front fuse box on the side of the dashboard is practically useless and in other ones the boot fuse box is useless for these type of works.
any idea or experience is welcome. I am guessing that it would be similar for e class W211 models.
Thank you.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
hi,
car is a 2006 w219 cls 500.
right now i have my dash cam connected in the cigarette lighter but i would like to connect it directly to a fuse box in order to be able to close the cigarette lighter opening and not being opened all the time while driving.
basically i would like to use a fuse box that is powered with ignition only.
any advice in regards to which fuse box I should use in the specific car? i have read online that in some mercedes models the front fuse box on the side of the dashboard is practically useless and in other ones the boot fuse box is useless for these type of works.
any idea or experience is welcome. I am guessing that it would be similar for e class W211 models.
Thank you.
Best one I've heard , is to buy a second cigarette lighter socket from eBay and wire this in to the wires behind the existing lighter . Then plug the dash cam plug straight into this new socket , all hidden behind the dash and the socket is already fused .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On my W211 thought I wired into the rear fuse box in the boot to the rear wiper fuse (which isn't fitted on my saloon) . All my front fuses at the end of the dashboard were permanent live .

OP
Terrykal

Terrykal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 cls55 amg

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
Terrykal

Terrykal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 cls55 amg
wighty thanks for the great advice.
I ordered the next day a cigarette lighter female socket and connected its cables with the ones of the car's existing cables, as you advised.
I preferred to leave the second socket outside the dash (not hidden behind the dash) in order to be more accessible in case I want to connect another device or a new socket. Initial concept was to install it at the plastic cover where the passenger feet are (like my F30 320d has from factory) but all the dash panels were too tight to be able to force the cables to go through the cigarette lighter.
I finally managed to pass them through a small opening that exists between the carpet and the central console just behind the gear knob shifter. I have ordered a heat shrink tube of grey colour (same as my interior) and with this I will enclose the cables of this new cigarette lighter socket in order to be a bit nicer. will upload few photos when I will finish it completely.

PS: I have never seen so tight dash panels, even in areas where the dash panels meet the car's carpet. this model's assembly is in extremely high standards.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
wighty thanks for the great advice.
I ordered the next day a cigarette lighter female socket and connected its cables with the ones of the car's existing cables, as you advised.
I preferred to leave the second socket outside the dash (not hidden behind the dash) in order to be more accessible in case I want to connect another device or a new socket. Initial concept was to install it at the plastic cover where the passenger feet are (like my F30 320d has from factory) but all the dash panels were too tight to be able to force the cables to go through the cigarette lighter.
I finally managed to pass them through a small opening that exists between the carpet and the central console just behind the gear knob shifter. I have ordered a heat shrink tube of grey colour (same as my interior) and with this I will enclose the cables of this new cigarette lighter socket in order to be a bit nicer. will upload few photos when I will finish it completely.

PS: I have never seen so tight dash panels, even in areas where the dash panels meet the car's carpet. this model's assembly is in extremely high standards.
Looking forward to the pics buddy , glad it worked out well . I was only spreading the word as it was someone else's suggestion (Steve@Avantgarde , one of our Indys )

OP
Terrykal

Terrykal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 cls55 amg
few pictures after installing a heat shrink tube in grey colour to match my interior.
As said previously, initial concept was to install it at the plastic cover where the passenger feet are but all the dash panels were too tight to be able to force the cables to go through the cigarette lighter. second option was the one attached, it is more visible but at least is accessible. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-5307e3dd2b4e6ba8ca8006302a3d3d92-V_compress48.jpg
    IMG-5307e3dd2b4e6ba8ca8006302a3d3d92-V_compress48.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-844689a89ab19d45dc0d6743ba72cf80-V_compress53.jpg
    IMG-844689a89ab19d45dc0d6743ba72cf80-V_compress53.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20190817_133630_compress17.jpg
    IMG_20190817_133630_compress17.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190817_140352_compress83.jpg
    IMG_20190817_140352_compress83.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 12

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
few pictures after installing a heat shrink tube in grey colour to match my interior.
As said previously, initial concept was to install it at the plastic cover where the passenger feet are but all the dash panels were too tight to be able to force the cables to go through the cigarette lighter. second option was the one attached, it is more visible but at least is accessible. Thanks.
Well done buddy , its funny what you were saying about panel gaps and quality build . My CLK could get armoured cable through some of the gaps :rolleyes:

OP
Terrykal

Terrykal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 cls55 amg
Thanks once again Wighty for "opening my eyes" on this way. Believe me, my 64 plate 320d has gaps that you can push cabling through them easily. I was expecting the same scenario with my much older CLS but in reality is a different story.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom