What is this reservoir for.

Mustafah

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2015
Im trying to fill up the engine coolant on my sister c220d w205 model. However there are 2 reservoirs with the coolant label on them. If you are looking at the engine there is one of the left and it's black. There is also one on the right and you can see inside it but it's smaller than the one on the left, it's also empty..

I'm not sure which one to out the coolant into and also what the two different reservoirs are for. There is nothing written in the owners manual about the reservoir on the right.

All help appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200d/2015/2.2
Im trying to fill up the engine coolant on my sister c220d w205 model. However there are 2 reservoirs with the coolant label on them. If you are looking at the engine there is one of the left and it's black. There is also one on the right and you can see inside it but it's smaller than the one on the left, it's also empty..

I'm not sure which one to out the coolant into and also what the two different reservoirs are for. There is nothing written in the owners manual about the reservoir on the right.

All help appreciated. Thank you.
Hi the larger one on the left as you look at the engine is for the engine coolant, the smaller one on your right is for the intercooler coolant.
Thanks Pete

OP
M

Mustafah

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2015
Hello and thank you for replying. So do I put the same coolant liquid in the intercooler coolant compartment ?

Thanks

Attachments

• 15655272860866085038933036619003.jpg
    15655272860866085038933036619003.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 37

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Hello and thank you for replying. So do I put the same coolant liquid in the intercooler coolant compartment ?

Thanks

There is something written on the top of the reservoir ( the black part ) in your pic, that indicates what its for . Can you post another pic, taken from above, looking down at the top of the cap? And also the same type pic from the other reservoir? Don't put any fluid into ANY reservoir in a car, until you are absolutely 100% sure that it's the right fluid for that Reservoir. If you do, it can have serious consequences.

OP
M

Mustafah

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2015
There is something written on the top of the reservoir ( the black part ) in your pic, that indicates what its for . Can you post another pic, taken from above, looking down at the top of the cap? And also the same type pic from the other reservoir? Don't put any fluid into ANY reservoir in a car, until you are absolutely 100% sure that it's the right fluid for that Reservoir. If you do, it can have serious consequences.
Both reservoirs just say caution don't open while hot. I would take more pictures but I'm not with the car at the moment.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Both reservoirs just say caution don't open while hot. I would take more pictures but I'm not with the car at the moment.
Ok, no problem...maybe take a pic of the complete engine, showing both reservoir's? Like normally, most windscreen washer's show a miniature windscreen, with a jet of water splashing against it. But some only show don't open if hot, or else an emblem of a book,,,,consult manufacturer's instruction's. Do you have the car handbook by any chance? There is usually good info contained in them.

OP
M

Mustafah

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2015
Ok, no problem...maybe take a pic of the complete engine, showing both reservoir's? Like normally, most windscreen washer's show a miniature windscreen, with a jet of water splashing against it. But some only show don't open if hot, or else an emblem of a book,,,,consult manufacturer's instruction's. Do you have the car handbook by any chance? There is usually good info contained in them.
Yes I read the handbook but it didn't have any information on the second smaller reservoir. I rang mercedes and they said it's not something customers would top up themselves so I guess I may have no choice but to visit the dealership.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Yes I read the handbook but it didn't have any information on the second smaller reservoir. I rang mercedes and they said it's not something customers would top up themselves so I guess I may have no choice but to visit the dealership.

You don't need a dealer to top up a reservoir ..... they said customers don't usually top it up themselves NOT they're not allowed to. Mercedes say lots of things ..... they suggest you take your car to them to swap head lights from asymmetrical to symmetrical .... it takes just seconds to do it yourself.
Does the charge air cooler reservoir actually need topping up?

OP
M

Mustafah

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2015
You don't need a dealer to top up a reservoir ..... they said customers don't usually top it up themselves NOT they're not allowed to. Mercedes say lots of things ..... they suggest you take your car to them to swap head lights from asymmetrical to symmetrical .... it takes just seconds to do it yourself.
Does the charge air cooler reservoir actually need topping up?
Yes it's totally empty with pink residue on the inside. I dunno what to put in it tho.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Yes it's totally empty with pink residue on the inside. I dunno what to put in it tho.

Put in what Mercedes specifies for the main radiator, but don't mix specifications of anti-freeze. If you think there's any chance of doing so, drain, flush & drain again before you re-fill it

OP
M

Mustafah

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2015
Put in what Mercedes specifies for the main radiator, but don't mix specifications of anti-freeze. If you think there's any chance of doing so, drain, flush & drain again before you re-fill it
The main reservoir already had orange liquid in but the little reservoir had pink stuff in. I'll be sure not to mix.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom