What Have You Done To Your Merc Today?

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Well...

A week last Friday we drove down to Devon. Journey was split at Gloucester stopping overnight, leaving us 140 miles to do on Saturday morning... those 140 miles took us 6.5hrs to do.

Driving to the site we approached down the narrow lane, to be met by a variety of oncoming vehicles including but not limited to cars, buses, wagons etc.

The site- Caravan Club own site, but with some non-club guests staying there of less than desirable type. I’m not being snobby here, their children behaved despicably culminating in 3 families being physically removed from site by the Police for disruptive behaviour.

Weather was highly changeable varying from 25 C and bright sunshine, to 15 C and 60mph winds. I ended up tying the awning to the caravan chassis with spare storm straps in the end...

Driving around the area ranged from pleasant to beautiful, to grim to ****** horrific. Coming over a humpback bridge to a hairpin leading to a 1 in 5 gradient, with a 6 car convoy behind, and meeting a rough terrain 7 ton cantilever fork truck coming downhill the other way really stands out in my memory!

That’s more like it!

We were between Paignton & Stoke Gabriel, very beautiful countryside but no place for an R Class I have to say!

I’ve not yet filled up but the return journey clocked in at 286 miles, 41mph and 21.0mpg.

Needless to say l won’t be taking the caravan down to Devon in a hurry!

Ramslade per chance?

How odd there should be non members in peak holiday time as according to 'the usual suspects' on CT the CAMC sites are so popular they are fully booked by members. Or maybe the occupancy is not all its made out to be and they'll take anyone who pays. At least the miscreants were ejected.

Did you post a review on CT and fill in the questionnaire commenting on the issues?

We learned the difficulties getting into Devon & Cornwall on a school summer holiday weekend and have travelled Thursday evening, overnighting at Exeter Racecourse CAMC site before onward early Friday morning to be at the site for the allotted opening time.

Adapt, improvise, overcome ;):D:cool:

RichardSEL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320
Does going to Aldershot from Blackheath and return today constitue a trip out?

Some wearer-of-a-baseball-cap-backwards previous keeper has put a SS rear box on this 'ere
R127 (converted) There's no lights on the dash. Surely with a SL320 I'd have a cat convertor and after cat sensors? So how come there's no dash light on? Can they be coded out?

Still learning as you can guess...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Well...

A week last Friday we drove down to Devon. Journey was split at Gloucester stopping overnight, leaving us 140 miles to do on Saturday morning... those 140 miles took us 6.5hrs to do.

Very busy road the M5 on a Sat

Driving to the site we approached down the narrow lane, to be met by a variety of oncoming vehicles including but not limited to cars, buses, wagons etc.

Standard

Weather was highly changeable varying from 25 C and bright sunshine, to 15 C and 60mph winds. I ended up tying the awning to the caravan chassis with spare storm straps in the end...

Standard

Driving around the area ranged from pleasant to beautiful, to grim to ****** horrific. Coming over a humpback bridge to a hairpin leading to a 1 in 5 gradient, with a 6 car convoy behind, and meeting a rough terrain 7 ton cantilever fork truck coming downhill the other way really stands out in my memory!

Welcome to the countryside, you big city boys come down 'ere and expect everything to be massive, bl**dy Grockles ;)

Needless to say l won’t be taking the caravan down to Devon in a hurry!

Nothing gets done in Devon in a hurry

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Does going to Aldershot from Blackheath and return today constitue a trip out?

Some wearer-of-a-baseball-cap-backwards previous keeper has put a SS rear box on this 'ere
R127 (converted) There's no lights on the dash. Surely with a SL320 I'd have a cat convertor and after cat sensors? So how come there's no dash light on? Can they be coded out?

Still learning as you can guess...

Cat convertor was only fitted post 1992. The cat and lambda are also way ahead of the rear box so the rear box won't upset the electronics.
Yours is probably the V6 as opposed to inline 6 so the cats will be in the down pipe from the manifold above the bend where the pipes start going under the car no may not be very visible.

And I'm guessing you mean r129 not r127?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Ramslade per chance?

How odd there should be non members in peak holiday time as according to 'the usual suspects' on CT the CAMC sites are so popular they are fully booked by members. Or maybe the occupancy is not all its made out to be and they'll take anyone who pays. At least the miscreants were ejected.

Did you post a review on CT and fill in the questionnaire commenting on the issues?

We learned the difficulties getting into Devon & Cornwall on a school summer holiday weekend and have travelled Thursday evening, overnighting at Exeter Racecourse CAMC site before onward early Friday morning to be at the site for the allotted opening time.

Adapt, improvise, overcome ;):D:cool:
Yes, yes it was...

I wasn’t impressed with the staff. No sir, you can’t book a pitch, allocation on arrival only, we were told. On arrival- why didn’t you book your pitch before arrival?

They also lied about the approach road. Arrive after 1pm sir, no traffic then as the only traffic is for our site and the one opposite. Was it b***ery, it’s a main road.

No reviews posted yet, I’ve been somewhat tied up arranging a new contract since we got back but rest assured there will be one going up.

RichardSEL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320
Cat convertor was only fitted post 1992. The cat and lambda are also way ahead of the rear box so the rear box won't upset the electronics.
Yours is probably the V6 as opposed to inline 6 so the cats will be in the down pipe from the manifold above the bend where the pipes start going under the car no may not be very visible.

And I'm guessing you mean r129 not r127?

Yes, R129 Dunno the difference though. This inline 6?
But it's got the older style of OBD connector. First reg July '00

There's meant to be a method of decoding engine # I read. But mebe that only applies to north Americans? Mine's 10499122029033
Tried the VIN decoder but that just showed up as "not available"
Are Merc dealers helpful in supplying the data card?

Engine Bay.JPG

Sure went well though up and down M25-A3 (156 mile) even though I didn't flog it coming back. With the hood down I got bored with the exhaust note. Best guess used 25L of LPG = 5.5 gallon = say equiv 30 MPG. But at LPG prices that's equivalent 60 MPG :geek:

And you get a rightous feeling as you "save the planet". Wouldn't want to upset anyone down 'dere in Devon (but I'm not jealous :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Yes, R129 Dunno the difference though. This inline 6?
But it's got the older style of OBD connector. First reg July '00

There's meant to be a method of decoding engine # I read. But mebe that only applies to north Americans? Mine's 10499122029033
Tried the VIN decoder but that just showed up as "not available"
Are Merc dealers helpful in supplying the data card?

View attachment 52027

Sure went well though up and down M25-A3 (156 mile) even though I didn't flog it coming back. With the hood down I got bored with the exhaust note. Best guess used 25L of LPG = 5.5 gallon = say equiv 30 MPG. But at LPG prices that's equivalent 60 MPG :geek:

And you get a rightous feeling as you "save the planet". Wouldn't want to upset anyone down 'dere in Devon (but I'm not jealous :rolleyes:
Good engine shot buddy ! Is that one of those K and N thingys ?

RichardSEL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320
Yes, it's K & N alright -- not sure about efficacy though -- do I have to oil it or sommat?
The standard airbox is empty of air filter.

Is this an "inline 6"?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yep that's an M104 engine - 4 valve per cylinder inline 6. Very nice engine. Not as bomb proof as the M112 V6 but smooth and powerful with a bit more character.
K&NS are a waste of space in my view.
Far better to use the stock paper filter.

Nick66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E240 2000
Today I will change the flat tyre on my car.In 29 years of driving I never had a completely flat tyre.Also in the same 29 years I was never without spare tyre in the boot.Can anybody guess what happened? On Monday I removed temporarily the spare wheel from the boot because I needed more space in the boot and since my LPG tank sits in the place of spare wheel it actually impacts the boot capacity quite significantly. I was picking somebody from the airport and wanted empty boot,and although I currently have big roofbox decided not to use it because I expected heavy suitcases.The spare wheel was left in my place of work,about a mile from where I live,and after the airport run I decided I will put it back in few days,since we are all now on summer holidays.Last night driving home about 500 yards from home I heard strange sound from the back of the car, stopped to inspect and found the rear driver's side tyre almost completely flat.Tryng to inflate it with little battery powered compressor proved futile,and I decided to drive home very slowly on hazard lights rather then call recovery service.It was midnight and no traffic at all,15 minutes later I parked the car at home.This morning I took the bus to bring back the spare wheel.I found new use for duct tape, apparently it is not only for structural repairs but it can also be used to fashion a comfortable handle for casual transport of spare wheels on public transport...Now of course it is raining,so I am waiting for a little break to change the wheel.. IMG_20190814_114448.jpg IMG_20190814_114339.jpg

Nick66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E240 2000
Wheel stuck solid to the hub,put 3 studs back in,hand tight ,jack down,moved the car gingerly 10 yards while observing the wheel,lifted the car,unstuck.Wheel back but only with 4 studs,one left stuck in the impact socket,of course I have no heavy hammer at hand...ugh

Nick66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E240 2000
Also I can not see any damage or nail on removed tyre,despite being totally flat and driven on the rim for 500 yards?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Also I can not see any damage or nail on removed tyre,despite being totally flat and driven on the rim for 500 yards?
The sidewall will be damaged from driving on it so you’ll need to replace. What’s the valve like?

Nick66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E240 2000
I knew the tyre will be beyond repair when I decided to drive home last 500 yards.The valve seems ok,I tried to inflate it last night but did not seem to make any difference when I connected battery powered compressor...My concern is whether I destroyed alloy wheel,I will take it to the tyre place to see if it balances.If not I might finally refurb my spare set of 5 spoke w210 alloys..

RichardSEL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320
Yep that's an M104 engine - 4 valve per cylinder inline 6. Very nice engine. Not as bomb proof as the M112 V6 but smooth and powerful with a bit more character.
K&NS are a waste of space in my view.
Far better to use the stock paper filter.

According to Wikepedia it was the last year ('99) of that engine's manufacture. Is it with timing chain or belt?
If chain is there a recommended regime to have changed out any chain tensioners? Now at 108k miles. If belt when should that be changed? Can't see anything in the sparse service history that came with

Must say, do like the box. But there's no record of ATF or filter change either...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
According to Wikepedia it was the last year ('99) of that engine's manufacture. Is it with timing chain or belt?
If chain is there a recommended regime to have changed out any chain tensioners? Now at 108k miles. If belt when should that be changed? Can't see anything in the sparse service history that came with

Must say, do like the box. But there's no record of ATF or filter change either...
It's a chain. All V6,V8 and V12 MBs are chain driven and only a few of the smaller 4s.
There's no schedule for chain replacement - they'll last for a couple of hundred thousand miles at least.

RichardSEL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320
It's a chain. All V6,V8 and V12 MBs are chain driven and only a few of the smaller 4s.
There's no schedule for chain replacement - they'll last for a couple of hundred thousand miles at least.

Thanks for that. But I believe we've identified that I've got an I6 3200?
Are they also chain?

I don't hear any click slap so am assuming that on those MB engines the tensioner doesn't wear?
(unlike on Jaguar XJ8 that need both tensioners changing to an uprated steel design coz the original ones were plastic :) )
(or unlike on the VW 2.0L tFSI that has belts that need changing at 60 to 80k miles. Their TSI engine is chain but yes, the tensioner needs changing ;-)

Been there, done that, got both Tee shirts :confused:

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Still a chain

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As above still a chain. Last forever pretty much. That vintage of engine is beautifully designed and made and the only issue can be a headgasket at 100k miles or so so just keep an eye out for that.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom