BMWi8

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Yup so did I strangely
If these are open for anyone spaces, then how could anyone with an EV ever get them charged, you can't wait for the driver of the none EV car to return surely? Otherwise there is no incentive for EV owners to take them out.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Most are marked EV but when it is free private parking with no parking charges there is no-one enforcing bay compliance and people know that.

It is for this reason you often see non blue badge holders in DA bays at Supermarkets...

Mercedes SL500 R231

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Most are marked EV but when it is free private parking with no parking charges there is no-one enforcing bay compliance and people know that.

It is for this reason you often see non blue badge holders in DA bays at Supermarkets...

Mercedes SL500 R231
Spot on there!

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Well, last week I had to do an unplanned trip back to the Central Scotland belt and back same day..
480 mile round trip
So, car was extremely comfortable, sure footed , cruised beautifully (comfort mode with the odd sports mode spirited drive), must say I didn’t feel like i’d Been in a car for the best part of 9 hours at all.
Averaged 45.9 mpg, so happy with that given above profile (cruise set on motorway at’just’ over 70 :rolleyes:)
Apart from the first 6 or so miles of course wasn’t using battery power
Could I have used a bit more electric?
Practically, NO unless I’d planned a couple of 1 hour stops each way which might have added 60-70 miles to the range, just didn’t feel worth it.
So that was the longest trip I’ve done in the i8 since getting it..
As a daily it’s still performing very practically- the warmer weather has given the overnight charge a range of 18-19 miles, so easily getting to work on a charge, and easily back after topping up at work
Only other thing to report is that the paint thickness is no way near as good as the Mercedes- not sure if this is BMW generally or i8 weight saving.
So a few bonnet chips (one a little larger picked up on the Scottish trip)
Scuffed an alloy (NSR) after being forced onto a kerb in the local lanes by an oncoming vehicle, Craig styleee grrrrr :mad:
Summarising, still a lovely thing, great to drive (sometimes I’d like more noise but at other times enjoying the effortless power), gets attention constantly ....

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
glad you so happy with it John , how much has the leccy bill at home changed OR is it too soon to say ?
Thanks!
Bit difficult to say as I’ve not yet got a season by season comparison fully but so far it seems £14-£16 a month I estimate

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, last week I had to do an unplanned trip back to the Central Scotland belt and back same day..
480 mile round trip
So, car was extremely comfortable, sure footed , cruised beautifully (comfort mode with the odd sports mode spirited drive), must say I didn’t feel like i’d Been in a car for the best part of 9 hours at all.
Averaged 45.9 mpg, so happy with that given above profile (cruise set on motorway at’just’ over 70 :rolleyes:)
Apart from the first 6 or so miles of course wasn’t using battery power
Could I have used a bit more electric?
Practically, NO unless I’d planned a couple of 1 hour stops each way which might have added 60-70 miles to the range, just didn’t feel worth it.
So that was the longest trip I’ve done in the i8 since getting it..
As a daily it’s still performing very practically- the warmer weather has given the overnight charge a range of 18-19 miles, so easily getting to work on a charge, and easily back after topping up at work
Only other thing to report is that the paint thickness is no way near as good as the Mercedes- not sure if this is BMW generally or i8 weight saving.
So a few bonnet chips (one a little larger picked up on the Scottish trip)
Scuffed an alloy (NSR) after being forced onto a kerb in the local lanes by an oncoming vehicle, Craig styleee grrrrr :mad:
Summarising, still a lovely thing, great to drive (sometimes I’d like more noise but at other times enjoying the effortless power), gets attention constantly ....
Great to hear it is still going well. I bet it gets loads of attention, I've only one on the road so far.

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Great to hear it is still going well. I bet it gets loads of attention, I've only one on the road so far.
Thanks Andy- yes it surely does which is not to everyone’s taste..
My daughter (10 yo) was recently heard to say “ I hate going in Daddy’s car to the shops- every time we park it people talk to him about it and take pictures, it’s embarrasing!!”
Ah well, can’t please everyone- when I was 10 yo nobody stopped to talk to my dad about the Landy or tractor we were in :rolleyes:

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Andy- yes it surely does which is not to everyone’s taste..
My daughter (10 yo) was recently heard to say “ I hate going in Daddy’s car to the shops- every time we park it people talk to him about it and take pictures, it’s embarrasing!!”
Ah well, can’t please everyone- when I was 10 yo nobody stopped to talk to my dad about the Landy or tractor we were in :rolleyes:
I like them myself, the shame has never dated. I think more people would stop and stare at the i8 than an E63s!!

MEMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250AMG
View attachment 47769 View attachment 47770 Couple of members were asking about the plug in aspect.
I got pod point to install a tethered charge point- this one is a 7kwh model which is sufficient for PHEVs and slow charge to full electric vehicles. There is still a £500 OLEV grant so this ended up costing me nett £359. Comes with wireless and connects to your hub and an app so you can see what its been doing and cost. It also maps any pod point charge points in your vicinity you can also use, sometimes free, sometimes at a cost ( my local M & S at Cheshire oaks has 2 pod points which are free). All quite neat...

I realise it's the Wirral & not Liverpool proper but are you on a gated estate otherwise I'd worry about theft or vandalism?

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I realise it's the Wirral & not Liverpool proper but are you on a gated estate otherwise I'd worry about theft or vandalism?
I live in a small cul-de-sac of 12 houses , only one way in or out and not a through route or even footpath, so ‘relatively ‘ safe- won’t stop a determined oik of course

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
:mad:Ok first real life practicality issue today...
One normally uses the 90 to go plundering, however today in the midst of 20% off fever at M & S I decided a new pair of brown brogues was necessary for an upcoming wedding in ‘that London’ next weekend...
Bank holiday Monday, pah!
Parking spaces at said store in Cheshire Oaks?
No problem either said I, plug in spaces (2) at ground floor ALWAYS empty....
Off I tootled only to be faced with both spaces full..
When I say “full”...
One Nissan Leaf - tick but wait it’s not plugged in!
One XC90 D5 (not mine ) with approximately 27 bikes strapped to the tailgate , in such a way to block a bit of the car park through way....of course not plugged in, which it can’t
So I’m up to the Mezzanine floor trying to find a suitable space, after 10 minutes and an urge to drive off a ‘reasonable ‘ space appears
I’m in
Get out, noting cars reversed in either side quite nicely, so I’m thinking a bit smugly that I’ll be in store and out in a flash- only going for one thing after all, what can go wrong, eh?
Shoes bought, return to car...
Yip you guessed I’m sure, both reasonable neighbours up and gone to be replaced by KFC munching clampetts!!
Cue very undignified and wet arsed/legged/handed re-entry...
Seriously miffed so managed 19mpg and an 0.5 from 5.0 efficiency rating from the car in the way home
next time - drive home get the XC90 and park it on top of one of the Clampett cars!
Rant almost over :mad::(

JD, Buy an extension lead for charging so when this happens again park behind this inconsiderate more ron's and plug your car in, when these people return to their EV's, you, 'can't possibly move yet as my battery is flat and it will take a good hour or so to get my car moving again' :D

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
I live in a small cul-de-sac of 12 houses , only one way in or out and not a through route or even footpath, so ‘relatively ‘ safe- won’t stop a determined oik of course
What did you say your exact address was John? :)

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Well today it is mainly gone for the weekend to have the well delayed polish, detail and Gyeon MOHS ceramic treatment ....that should see it through the winter and beyond !

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Well today it is mainly gone for the weekend to have the well delayed polish, detail and Gyeon MOHS ceramic treatment ....that should see it through the winter and beyond !
That sounds good, John, pics when you get it back please. How much for that lot? :)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200

And help preserve the cheaper and lighter paint :p

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That sounds good, John, pics when you get it back please. How much for that lot? :)
Including interior detail and leather treatment £500, I’m a regular so it’s a decent price ...
Ok I could do it myself much cheaper but I’ve no indoor facility to work in ( come to think of it I’ve not the time either)....it’s away until Monday

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
And help preserve the cheaper and lighter paint :p
There is more than an element of truth there Peter, it’s not a patch on MB

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom