Short number plates and private plate.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My OCD would not allow me to have two characters followed by three characters - its not balanced!
No, three characters followed by two looks so much better...:D

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Short plates are great on motorcycles.
One guy cut around the letters on his plate leaving the minimum border. Looked very bizarre, but on a bike looked ok.

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
I've just put personal plates on my car and the best thing is that they don't have the blue GB bit on the end which to me makes them look better. Nothing to do with Brexit.
What I am upset about is that my wife's GLA has surrounds so no holes in the plate but my S class doesn't. I could buy surrounds but this would mean new plates as well to replace the drilled ones and doesn't seem worth it.

MEMERC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250AMG
Just been experimenting,
i like the short plate look, with possibly a new private plate, and before someone asks, it's totally legal. :rolleyes::)
What ya think?
View attachment 52373
My number plate has the same amount & distribution of letters/numbers but the plate itself is slightly longer yet still shorter than standard. Few letters/numbers on a standard plate do get lost but you have to be very careful not to overdo the look.
If it were possible I would have had your plate just very very slightly longer to equalise the margins - as is it does look a bit DIY or expressing too much of a need to be noticed. Subtlety is the name of this game as under no circumstances whatsoever do you want to be confused with those who try to make words out of their number plates.

David Jennings

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A35 AMG 2019 2.0
Just been experimenting,
i like the short plate look, with possibly a new private plate, and before someone asks, it's totally legal. :rolleyes::)
What ya think?
View attachment 52373
Did you shorten the one on the front mate? Apologies, I know its an old thread, just trying to work out how to do it on mine, however its a different model.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
There is no legal size for plates, only sizing & spacing of the letters etc

Also sorry to raise an old thread from the dead but has anybody actually got these bastardised shortened plates through the MOT ?? :rolleyes:

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Short plates are great on motorcycles.
One guy cut around the letters on his plate leaving the minimum border. Looked very bizarre, but on a bike looked ok.

I saw a number plate on the road today that might appeal. 80ATS. On a Range Rover, so no need for a short plate.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Also sorry to raise an old thread from the dead but has anybody actually got these bastardised shortened plates through the MOT ?? :rolleyes:

As long as the margins meet the below there's no issue

upload_2020-6-30_14-59-23.png

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I saw a number plate on the road today that might appeal. 80ATS. On a Range Rover, so no need for a short plate.

There used to be a Range Rover around our area with 13 EER. :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

A friend of mine has them as his plate is 2 letters and 2 numbers, no issue as they are correctly spaced, sized and the right font

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A friend of mine has them as his plate is 2 letters and 2 numbers, no issue as they are correctly spaced, sized and the right font

I don't know about you but I think they look a little odd and a bit pretentious :rolleyes:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't know about you but I think they look a little odd and a bit pretentious :rolleyes:

It is on the front of an RS6 with no plate holder so looks good on the honeycombe grille, the rear plate is the standard size

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is on the front of an RS6 with no plate holder so looks good on the honeycombe grille, the rear plate is the standard size
I thought all Audi’s had the front number plate jammed in the corner of the windscreen :rolleyes:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought all Audi’s had the front number plate jammed in the corner of the windscreen :rolleyes:

It is a common theme apparently, saw 2 today while dealing from my Bimmer :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I think that is only on shagged out 06'ish 3 door A3's :D

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom