Comand unit, parasitic drain

steve280clkcab

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 280 cabriolet 2009
Hi all,
New to the forum, just purchased a 2009 clk280 cabriolet, and have problems with flat battery which was replaced. tested with a meter and found drain was fuse 64, radio. Ran car with fuse out and all battery issues sorted. Cant find a replacement comand unit so wondered if i could just cut the permanent live to stop the drain. If so. Which wire please? Does anyone repair these units?
Thanks in advance
Steve

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
Hi all,
New to the forum, just purchased a 2009 clk280 cabriolet, and have problems with flat battery which was replaced. tested with a meter and found drain was fuse 64, radio. Ran car with fuse out and all battery issues sorted. Cant find a replacement comand unit so wondered if i could just cut the permanent live to stop the drain. If so. Which wire please? Does anyone repair these units?
Thanks in advance
Steve

If you cut the permanent live (its the thick red one (sometimes red with yellow trace) on the back of the comand) then it will obviously no longer work.

Ive tried to get the parts to repair these before and they simply are not available. You could try buying an NTG 2 comand unit from an ML, A,B or C class and using it for parts to repair yours. If you get one of the above units you can just swap the front fascia over and it will fit in your car. Might need coding, depending on what car the unit came from and what options your car has.

OP
S

steve280clkcab

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 280 cabriolet 2009
If you cut the permanent live (its the thick red one (sometimes red with yellow trace) on the back of the comand) then it will obviously no longer work.

Ive tried to get the parts to repair these before and they simply are not available. You could try buying an NTG 2 comand unit from an ML, A,B or C class and using it for parts to repair yours. If you get one of the above units you can just swap the front fascia over and it will fit in your car. Might need coding, depending on what car the unit came from and what options your car has.
Thank you,The radio will still work with the switched live though?

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
There are some custom Android units available for most older Mercedes that retain the OEM look e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-...lass-W203-W209-DVD-TPMS-CAM-7869/173589713420

Build quality can be variable but some makes are better than other e.g. Erisin, Xtrons or Seicane.
Sound quality is at least as good as the COMAND unit I replaced and you have the benefit of DAB+, reversing cam and up-to-date Navigation using Google maps or Waze etc.

OP
S

steve280clkcab

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 280 cabriolet 2009
There are some custom Android units available for most older Mercedes that retain the OEM look e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-...lass-W203-W209-DVD-TPMS-CAM-7869/173589713420

Build quality can be variable but some makes are better than other e.g. Erisin, Xtrons or Seicane.
Sound quality is at least as good as the COMAND unit I replaced and you have the benefit of DAB+, reversing cam and up-to-date Navigation using Google maps or Waze etc.
Thank you,Checked the item illustrated, but ebay say not compatable, my unit has what appears to be three fibre optic connections

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 (R230) & CLK350 (W209)
Thank you,Checked the item illustrated, but ebay say not compatable, my unit has what appears to be three fibre optic connections
Do you have pictures of the rear of the unit? Does it look like this:
upload_2019-9-15_20-58-49.jpeg
Do you have the 6CD player?
Do you have the incar phone pre-wiring kit fitted?
Other than the battery drain,does the head unit all work and do what it is supposed to?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you have Bose you will need a MOST fibre convertor. The output from the new head unit goes direct to the adaptor which then provides fibre out to the rest of the system.

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 (R230) & CLK350 (W209)
If you have Bose you will need a MOST fibre convertor. The output from the new head unit goes direct to the adaptor which then provides fibre out to the rest of the system.
Alastair
I PMed you about STAR a while ago. Any interest?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Alastair
I PMed you about STAR a while ago. Any interest?
Hi Chris,
As I need to change laptop to use it I'm not sure it's worth my while given the current version covers all my vehicles.
I'd actually forgotten about it as other things took precedence (you know how it is!).
Thanks for the offer though Chris - if anything changes I'll let you know.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom