Whistling windscreen?

Bopo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDi AMG Night Premium Plus (Sept 2015) with GAD Tuning re-map. Definitely not double badged.
Here's a minor annoyance with my W212... a whistling windscreen.

Get up to speed, say 60mph and above and there's a randomly fluctuating whistling noise. Sounds like a little bird chirping. It is one of those sounds that one you hear it you can't stop hearing it.

At first I guessed/hoped it was the gun-sight on the bonnet so after some double-badging advice and the removal of said 'sight I was hopeful it would go away. Sadly not.

I am pretty sure it is coming from the top of the windscreen, somewhere to the driver's side of the rain/headlight etc sensor.

So... anybody else had similar? Is it worth me getting some silicone sealant and trying to get some in by prying up the windscreen rubber? Or just get the screen professionally refitted?

Interesting that I note in the service history a mechanic was asked to look at a 'whistling noise' and ticked the 'No fault found' box.

OP
Bopo

Bopo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDi AMG Night Premium Plus (Sept 2015) with GAD Tuning re-map. Definitely not double badged.
Does it have a sports grille? Mine whistled through this. Air is forced under the bonnet and on to the screen causing the noise.
Adjusting the grille solves it.

That's interesting... I think mine is a sports grille. That's the one with the massive MB badge in the middle to hide the radar etc?

Also, I'm not 100% convinced about my bonnet alignment compared to some of the fancy (AMG night edition??) shapes around the grille.

Any idea how I'd know if this might be a culprit? It is a very variable whistle that I'm sure-ish comes from the top of the screen. Really hard to tell when you're driving, though...

goldy

Reaction score
Website
www.goldsmithmortgages.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2019 W213
That's interesting... I think mine is a sports grille. That's the one with the massive MB badge in the middle to hide the radar etc?

Also, I'm not 100% convinced about my bonnet alignment compared to some of the fancy (AMG night edition??) shapes around the grille.

Any idea how I'd know if this might be a culprit? It is a very variable whistle that I'm sure-ish comes from the top of the screen. Really hard to tell when you're driving, though...

Yeah that's the grille.
Mine had a new screen initially which didnt solve it.
Dealer then said the grille which I was dubious of but after some tinkering it stopped.
Google it. You'll find plenty on it

OP
Bopo

Bopo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cheers goldy. I'll have a search for it.

Need to book it in for a B0 (wtf?) service and MOT anyway so I could ask them to take a look if it is beyond my spannering skills.

Going to be an expensive one, this: I also want to replace the four mismatched economy tyres on it with some good ones. What kind of person puts mismatched econo-hoops on an E350 ?? That's a subject for another post.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
whistling can be caused by wind blowing trough trapped leaves etc, have a good look and clean.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Run a strip of masking tape around the screen joint, as a temporary seal.
If the whistling stops, the culprit is a flaw in the bond.

OP
Bopo

Bopo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
whistling can be caused by wind blowing trough trapped leaves etc, have a good look and clean.

I'm a detailing freak. There are no leaves. They get removed every clean and the whole hinge area gets treated when I do the under bonnet detail.

Run a strip of masking tape around the screen joint, as a temporary seal. If the whistling stops, the culprit is a flaw in the bond.

As a mechanically minded chap, I'm now kicking myself that I haven't tried this.

Next time I go to the office: black electrical tape on the windscreen seal; if that doesn't work then the drive home will have the tape along the bonnet lip.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I would be super surprised if a 2015 car has an issue with a window seal.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
More likely to be from around your drivers side window or door seal. Try winding your window down and up again and see if it stops. Then look at the door frame around the window - can it be adjusted in a little to compress rubbers better?

Ian.

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Or silicon oil your rubbers. (Gummie Pfledge if your loaded).

OP
Bopo

Bopo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
More likely to be from around your drivers side window or door seal. Try winding your window down and up again and see if it stops. Then look at the door frame around the window - can it be adjusted in a little to compress rubbers better?

Ian.

Thanks Ian. It's not coming from my right ear. I also put a tiny smear of vaseline around the door seals when I give it a really good clean as it stops some of the muck getting into the shuts and that doesn't stop the whistling.

Windows up/down doesn't stop it. Pana-roof open/close also no difference.

Got some good ideas from here, though so I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks guys!

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
Here's a minor annoyance with my W212... a whistling windscreen.

Get up to speed, say 60mph and above and there's a randomly fluctuating whistling noise. Sounds like a little bird chirping. It is one of those sounds that one you hear it you can't stop hearing it.

I am pretty sure it is coming from the top of the windscreen, somewhere to the driver's side of the rain/headlight etc sensor.

I have had a W212 saloon from new and yes I have heard this wind noise very frequently at these sorts of speeds. Personally I thought it was coming from the rear edge of the bonnet/windscreen wipers area so assumed it was (what would the dealers call it) a "characteristic".

I have a 220d SE so it came with a flat bonnet badge, not the "gun sight" three pointed star, so I don't think that is the issue. Please let us know if you solve it as I have put up with it for almost five years!

Top Bottom