Right of way or not?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
And all BMW's :rolleyes:
I find it’s Audi’s these days...

I managed to cover a whole 17 miles in my first hour traveling today... I spent a lot of that hour letting people out. It must have baffled a few as they were too surprised to acknowledge me.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I encountered a big car transporter with trailer backing up on a dual carriageway to reverse into a side road today.

Hey ho, slow down put the hazards on and watched his repeated attempts with some astonishment.

Still the sun was out and I didn't see much point in getting angry over it.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
He was lucky that you gave him the good manners treatment and was probably luckier that Plod didn't arrive... even though the guy is only trying to earn a crust - as a minimum "Obstruction" springs to mind. It's probably also illegal to reverse on a dual carriageway!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
So where does "giving way to the right" fit in? I've always assumed that if a car on my right & ahead of me wanted to merge, I should let him in?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Apart from the BMW driver who cuts in when there are 3 seconds left before the outer lane disappears! Plenty of those (of various marques) to see on Youtube!

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Well, in a 3 lane motorway there is an inside, middle and BMW lane, you do know that?
The other day I was cruising along as usual coming onto my local motorway, which was very busy with inferior cars. First off, I couldn’t believe that the volume of traffic DIDN’T slow down for me AT ALL as I came off the slip road!
I had to squeeze into a barely big enough gap between 2 cars in order to get onto MY motorway!
The driver of the car behind me did realise his mistake though and honked an apology to me with a very long blast of his horn. Unbelievably , I had to do the same again twice before I could get to the BMW lane!
Anyway, once I was in the BMW lane and posing along at 130 mph enjoying the adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed another inferior car ahead of me which was not only in the BMW lane of my motorway, but was driving at a quite ridiculous 70mph!
Naturally, I got to within a foot of his bumper and flashed my headlights to remind him he shouldn’t be in the BMW lane of my motorway and to get out of my way.
Of course once he realised it was a BMW behind him, he did just that, but I could hardly believe it when he pulled straight back out behind me!!
He also then tried to keep up with me and when he realised he couldn’t and I would out run him, he put on some blue lights in his front grille and urged me to get onto the hard shoulder so he could congratulate me for having such an excellent car.
Needless to say I was eager to oblige and when we had stopped, the man gave me a piece of paper confirming what I already knew- that my car is very fast!
Apparently he wants everyone to know what a superior car I have , so I had to take my drivers licence to a police station to be sent away to have some points put on! (They’re not free points either- they’re £40 each and apparently I can only apply for 12 normally over a year but they waived this on this occasion and I can have them all at one time and it will take a year or so for them to get done, they’re THAT special).
But the man at the police station said that because I drive a BMW I should get used to this special treatment , and I wouldn’t EVEN NEED a driving licence , so they’re going to keep it!
See now THAT’S the sort of respect you get when you drive a BMW superior car....
But did they charge your superior BMW up for you at the Station whilst gracing them with your Royal presence?

If not you should write to the Home Secretary and complain about their lack of Green awareness...

Mercedes SL500 R231

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
But did they charge your superior BMW up for you at the Station whilst gracing them with your Royal presence?

If not you should write to the Home Secretary and complain about their lack of Green awareness...

Mercedes SL500 R231
Terribly good point

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
So where does "giving way to the right" fit in? I've always assumed that if a car on my right & ahead of me wanted to merge, I should let him in?

In this instance, the road narrowing arrows are telling the right hand lane to move over to the left so as the left lane is not changing I would say they have right of way but zip-merging (merging in turn) should be used if possible anyway.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
In this instance, the road narrowing arrows are telling the right hand lane to move over to the left so as the left lane is not changing I would say they have right of way but zip-merging (merging in turn) should be used if possible anyway.

I'd have thought the arrows are warning the right lane to merge. So who gives way - do the drivers in the right lane just sit there until the left lane is clear or someone lets them in?

I lived in The Netherlands for 4 years and they are very good at "zippering" as they call it. There are large signs at many junctions with a large stylised zipper and messages to merge .....Perhaps we are not properly educated in the UK

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Give way to the right on roundabouts, (I know they did not exist when drivers in their 90s passed their tests), with merging traffic common courtesy to let the traffic in on the right on an alternate basis if safe to do so but traffic on left already in the lane has right of way and car on right will have 100% liability if they collide with car on left when changing lanes.

Mercedes SL500 R231

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
I'd have thought the arrows are warning the right lane to merge. So who gives way - do the drivers in the right lane just sit there until the left lane is clear or someone lets them in?

I lived in The Netherlands for 4 years and they are very good at "zippering" as they call it. There are large signs at many junctions with a large stylised zipper and messages to merge .....Perhaps we are not properly educated in the UK
Think of it this way, if a car comes down a Motorway slip road and the cars on the inside lane have nowhere to go do you merge regardless of who you hit? I guess a lot of this relies on common sense and courtesy by both drivers but there lies the problem in the UK. In Europe there is less aggression on the roads.

Mercedes SL500 R231

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Think of it this way, if a car comes down a Motorway slip road and the cars on the inside lane have nowhere to go do you merge regardless of who you hit? I guess a lot of this relies on common sense and courtesy by both drivers but there lies the problem in the UK. In Europe there is less aggression on the roads.

Mercedes SL500 R231
Agree but on the motorway we all know that the motorway has right of way over the slip lane....

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
And the car on the left when moving back in after using the right hand lane on a motorway, no difference the white arrows on the merging road are to warn drivers in that lane they need to merge, notice no arrows warnings or markers in the left lane to give way.

Mercedes SL500 R231

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Mercedes SL500 R231
Agree but on the motorway we all know that the motorway has right of way over the slip lane....
That dotted line between the slip road and lane 1 is a give way marker, if there's no space to safely join lane 3 you wait...

Can't say as I see many doing that with some just barrelling down and expecting the traffic to part for them. Or those that drive slowly down the slip lane but still pull out into lane 3 doing ~40 when the running speed in the lane is between 55 and 70

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
And the highway code says:

"
Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

• give priority to traffic already on the motorway
  • check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
  • not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
  • stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
  • remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking."

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
And the highway code says:

"
Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

• give priority to traffic already on the motorway
  • check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
  • not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
  • stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
  • remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking."

I think you will be preaching to the choir here but it is shocking how some people did pass the driving test :D

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I think you will be preaching to the choir here but it is shocking how some people did pass the driving test :D
Yep. A friend of mine is a police officer. He despairs of the standard of driving.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom