SL400 gearbox noise

Peter30s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 Edition 2016 Facelift
Hi all, my 2016 SL400 is a great car and still has some warrantee left. As I haven't driven another one like it I would like to know from any owners: when decelerating slows or coasting does your gearbox have a slight noise to it? I too it to the dealership and they say it's like the other one they have so it's normal but is it? For an expensive car should there be noise at all? Thanks Peter

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Although a completely different car mine does the same. I put it down to "engine breaking", but the automatic version. However I could be totally wrong.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Which GB do you have 9 or 7 speed. Mine is 9 and "coasting" is an eco mode - no noises that I've noticed although, haven't really listened to mine - radio is usually on as well.

I've got a 2 hour round trip tomorrow and I'll make a point of listening.

OP
P

Peter30s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Which GB do you have 9 or 7 speed. Mine is 9 and "coasting" is an eco mode - no noises that I've noticed although, haven't really listened to mine - radio is usually on as well.

Thanks I have the nine speed. I don’t do eco mode it’s just not me lol. It happens when day dropping from 70-50 or 50-40 and letting it go down on its own. It’s not very load you won’t hear it with the radio on or roof down.

Peter

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Thanks I have the nine speed. I don’t do eco mode it’s just not me lol. It happens when day dropping from 70-50 or 50-40 and letting it go down on its own. It’s not very load you won’t hear it with the radio on or roof down.

Peter
The GB also drops gears when you take your foot off the accelerator maybe that is what you hear (revs going up..)

I drive in eco mode (C or CV) on motorways - don't see any point travelling long distances in 6th gear at high revs in traffic when I could be in 9th. That all changes when I get into the country roads where it goes into 'S', 'S+' or 'I'.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I could never hear the 9G box in my W213, I only knew which gear it was in by the rev counter (that and the display...)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Not sure what kind of noise but there shouldn’t really be any apart from exhaust blip possibly in sports

OP
P

Peter30s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

How did the road trip go? Did you hear anything from the gearbox? Thanks Peter

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom