Thoughts on KIA

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Does anyone out there have a Kia Sorento ?
Reason i ask is, if i sell my ML270 (its driving me mad ), i will still need something that my wife can tow a horse trailer and two horses with, the Kia has the correct braked trailer towing capacity, but i do not know how reliable they are.
It would be the 2006 -2009 model, as the newer ones have a smaller engine hence cannot tow as much. I have seen horror stories about timing chains breaking, and also read that the early ones had a rust issue at the rear.
It would just be nice to have owners views rather than reading stories.

But there again, the old Range Rover TD6 is nice !!!!! (more trouble i suspect)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I can't comment on that particular model, but the brand is ultra reliable from what I have seen on my wife's 2011 Kia Rio.
Not a lot of power, but never once failed to perform as it should.
Japanese and Korean manufacturers can still teach European and American car brands about reliability.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
thanks for that, i know the early Sorento's had a rear axle rust issue but appears that was resolved after 2006, its just the timing chain issue that concerns me.
But i suppose if there were 100's of 1000's sold, then a few will have an issue.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Thought you meant Killed, In, Action - I was going to say "nothing".

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
The later smaller motors are not to be sneezed at. I was towing my 1600KG van up a decent hill on one trip and a Sorento with a larger van on pulled out and waltzed past me. 2.2 litres but great pulling power.

Ian.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
There are two common faults that keep coming up on a Sorento of that era. The auto gearbox is one and the other is the crankshaft bolt. Both sound expensive to me and bearing in mind that you are talking of a vehicle over ten years old you would need to study the histories of these fairly closely I would have thought :)

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Ive had one , brill car , i never had any issues , they drive well , good spec , they feel typically jap , mine was an auto which was just fine but it wasnt very good off road , by that i mean proper muddy not wet grass or snow which seems to undo alot of 4wd , two things to watch for
Rust ! The sills rott like mad
Timing chains can fail
The rear axle brackets snap off but its an FOC repair at Kia
The fuel tank delaminates causing a stall
Probs other stuff i havent thought of

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
all, thanks, that's great, interesting about the newer 2.2 engined sorento, 2012 ish just about in my price range.
I will have to look at weight capacities, as..........
Ifor williams hb505 trailer about 950 k
fat lump of horse about 750 k
smaller one about 500 k
plus passengers and tack.
so about 2400 k, need a towing capacity of at least 2.5 k

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Think id go for a crew cab pick up pal , get less mess inside the car with all the horse kit

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Ive had one , brill car , i never had any issues , they drive well , good spec , they feel typically jap , mine was an auto which was just fine but it wasnt very good off road , by that i mean proper muddy not wet grass or snow which seems to undo alot of 4wd , two things to watch for
Rust ! The sills rott like mad
Timing chains can fail
The rear axle brackets snap off but its an FOC repair at Kia
The fuel tank delaminates causing a stall
Probs other stuff i havent thought of
Think id go for a crew cab pick up pal , get less mess inside the car with all the horse kit

Me too, I think it makes more sense. A nice Ford Ranger :)

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
We changed from the ML270 CDI inspiration to a 2012 4-year old Hyundai Santa Fe, which is basically the same as the Sorrento, with the same running gear.

The ML was getting old and a few issues looming on the horizon, so a 30,000 mile still warranted Santa Fe made sense. It's not quite as luxurious, but it has better build quality and the only issue in 3.5 years was the reverse camera which was replaced under warranty.

The 2.2 engine isn't as smooth as a Mercedes, but it goes surprisingly well, with the auto box. Fold the seats down and the load space is huge. It's now still only done 63,000 miles, although we use it as the first choice of car to go anywhere.

My only real criticism, is that the last of the 2012 shape had stiffer suspension to make them better tow cars. It goes surprisingly well round the corners, but is a bit of a jiggly ride.

I keep thinking of selling it and buying an unreliable 7-seater Land rover Discovery.........somebody slap me!!

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
consider your self slapped !!!!!
I have looked into a Discovery 3, just so many things that can go wrong, they are really good when going, pig when break down, i suppose bit like the ML. However, at least you do not have to do a body off job to change cam belts.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
consider your self slapped !!!!!
I have looked into a Discovery 3, just so many things that can go wrong, they are really good when going, pig when break down, i suppose bit like the ML. However, at least you do not have to do a body off job to change cam belts.

:eek::eek::eek:

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
The only Kia I've had (still have) is a Soul. Ugly car, and not popular in the UK, but over the pond they sell well.

They are simple and tough. Even the doors seem heavy and solid. Chain instead of belt, single instead of dual mass flywheel.
Reasonable comfort, very good paint job, average to good everything else.
I'll keep it for a few years, because it gives the feeling of dependable reliability.
As it happens, I'm a Waxoyle freak, so every car I get is given the treatment. Rust doesn't seem to be an issue.
Not the smoothest or the quietist, but very good.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only Kia I've had (still have) is a Soul. Ugly car, and not popular in the UK, but over the pond they sell well.

They are simple and tough. Even the doors seem heavy and solid. Chain instead of belt, single instead of dual mass flywheel.
Reasonable comfort, very good paint job, average to good everything else.
I'll keep it for a few years, because it gives the feeling of dependable reliability.
As it happens, I'm a Waxoyle freak, so every car I get is given the treatment. Rust doesn't seem to be an issue.
Not the smoothest or the quietist, but very good.

Do they suffer a bit from stone chips with all of that paint on the front ?

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Discovery 3 tdv6
It is possible, or so i am told, to do front and rear cam belts leaving the body on, but most garages remove the body.
Someone i know had them done and it cost in excess of £1000.
They are also subject to electrical problems, more so than Mercedes. Hand brakes fail regular. Hence why i steered clear. I loved my old TD5 Discovery, its a shame the tin worm got at it.
I bought the Mercedes because of Mercedes legendary reliability !!!!!!!!!!

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Do they suffer a bit from stone chips with all of that paint on the front ?

So far, hardly a mark on the paint - but most of my driving is country roads, not motorway or heavily-trafficked areas.
Not a fair test really.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I can't comment on that particular model, but the brand is ultra reliable from what I have seen on my wife's 2011 Kia Rio.
Not a lot of power, but never once failed to perform as it should.
Japanese and Korean manufacturers can still teach European and American car brands about reliability.

big time.........

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
My BIL is retired and bought a new Sorrento Auto er, maybe 3 years ago. It's not used off road much at all and frankly for a passenger it feels as luxurious as a Range Rover. He and my nephew just went to France to see another relative a couple of weeks ago. His son is pretty well infatuated with it.

I do think it's incredible that they have the guts to give their cars seven years warranty and it would be very interesting to know what the ratio of claims cost is like as the years go by.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom