Water in the driver's footwell inside a CLK350 W209 Convertible

Gali Janach

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 350 Sport Convertible/2005/M272
Hello all

So for the first time in just over a year of owning my CLK350 i got in the car this morning to find a puddle of water inside the footwell just by the accelerator pedal.

I believe the water leaked through the bonnet release lever but i am not 100% sure this is the case.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Is there a specific gutter hose i need to look out for which may be the one that is blocked and causing this?

Many thanks in advance!

Gali

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

Most likely the scuttle drains (bottom of the windscreen) and blocked with leaves and other detritus, clean them out and use a watering can to check the drains are working.

OP
G

Gali Janach

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I shall give it a go later on today and report back. Thank you :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As above.
With leaves starting to fall and the rain today there's a strong probability there is a blocked drain. Open the bonnet and look just in front of the windscreen both sides. Any standing water confirms a blocked drain.

OP
G

Gali Janach

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you all. I got my compressor out and blew air through the 4 drain points in front of the windscreen. I then tested it by purring a jug of water on all 4 drain points and not a single drop of water got through to the footwell. So far so good.
Thanks again!

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Have a close look at the little rubber bellows that seals the bonnet release cable where it comes through the bulkhead. It's on the under bonnet side. They often perish. It looks insignificant, but the quantity of water it lets through is surprising. I have replaced dozens of them. Comes with a new cable, but not expensive.

OP
G

Gali Janach

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is it fairly easy to replace? I haven’t checked it to be honest

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Do you have a sunroof? If so, the sunroof channel drains can also give you this problem.
Same fix - clear the drains.

PS. Just noticed - your's is a convertible. Forget the sunroof idea!

OP
G

Gali Janach

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok. Leak is still on. Definitely comes out of the bonnet release lever. Anyone has any instructions on how to fix this?

OP
G

Gali Janach

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have a close look at the little rubber bellows that seals the bonnet release cable where it comes through the bulkhead. It's on the under bonnet side. They often perish. It looks insignificant, but the quantity of water it lets through is surprising. I have replaced dozens of them. Comes with a new cable, but not expensive.
Sounds like the issue i am having as i found a lot of water again and it certainly came from the bonnet release housing. Is it a big job i can tackle myself (with or without a new cable)?

Austy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 SL320 2003 CLK270CDI 2004 E320CDI 2006 CLS320CDI
Sounds like the issue i am having as i found a lot of water again and it certainly came from the bonnet release housing. Is it a big job i can tackle myself (with or without a new cable)?

I had this prob years ago on my CLK, I had water dripping on to the bonnet release cable at the bulkhead and as noted above a hairline crack can let a lot of water through. 2 minute fix was to tidily affix a bit of black plastic sheeting around the rubber grommit at the bulkhead and tape it up tidy. Turned out a cheap quick fix that was still working years later when I sold the car.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom