2001 E320cdi W210 EGR error code after replacement.

Aerouk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2001 w210
Hi I have a 2001 E320 cdi.

During the last years had boost issues, black smoke(in huge amounts) and finally before 3 months the car could not accelerate. Scanner showed EGR, kick-down switch and throttle position sensor errors.

I cleaned the EGR (it was completely blocked), I replaced the throttle position sensor and checked the kick-down switch (was fine). Nothing changed. I made the EGR cancellation and smoke was reduced but still no boost and got the same errors.We did star scan and showed EGR and throttle position sensor.

The technician suggested to replace the vacuum pressure converter. After replacing it the car seemed to accelerate much better and kickdown worked but without boost.

Finally I got a used but in good condition egr and after cleaning and testing with the mechanic i installed it. All errors went off except the EGR. Connected to the star the technician tested egr manually using a hand pump and worked fine (we engaged the turbo also). Flap motor also works.

So the suggestion was that there might be a leak on vacuum tubes. I replaced them with new and I also bypassed the long one that connects the EGR to the turbo line. I still get EGR error, the car accelerates much better but turbo is not engaging due to EGR error.

Smoke is less. Acceleration is steady and all gear changes are st 3700 rpm.
Any suggestion? Star shows that airflow is lower that the required. The only part I haven't change is the MAP sensor.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Welcome..I put a few paragraphs in for you...members hate no paragraphs.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Welcome to the forum :D (both you and your new paragraphs ) . Hopefully you will get an answer soon

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
What is the exact fault code that you currently have?

OP
A

Aerouk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2001 w210
What is the exact fault code that you currently have?
P1403 EGR. I get only this. We spend more than one hour at merc authorized shop, car connected to star.

Mechanic thought that the replacement EGR I used was also bad but it worked when he used a hand pump connected to the pressure regulator. Same goes for the turbo.

He suggested to check pipes the vaccum lines for leak so this morning I used a T connector and connected both the EGR press regulator and the turbo regulator to the big tube that comes from the vacuum pump to the brake booster. If there was a leak this could solve the problem but nothing changed.

Brake pedal comes down when I press it and start the motor so there is vaccum in the system.

I have good acceleration but no boost due to the EGR error. For normal ride is ok but due to work I need to pass the Alps 4 times this month and climb will be an issue.

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You need to actuate the EGR valve via STAR whilst watching the air mass. You also need to check the airmass is in the right range.
mersum1es is on point when he says MAF.

The ECU uses the MAF to check the EGR is working.

Broken maf sometimes gives EGR faults....

On OM613 W210 , MAF is only used to check EGR function, nothing else.

OP
A

Aerouk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2001 w210
You need to actuate the EGR valve via STAR whilst watching the air mass. You also need to check the airmass is in the right range.
mersum1es is on point when he says MAF.

The ECU uses the MAF to check the EGR is working.

Broken maf sometimes gives EGR faults....

On OM613 W210 , MAF is only used to check EGR function, nothing else.
Air mass is lower than the required. During the test air mass was lower, then the mechanic actuated the EGR manually and mass was within limits. When tried to engage EGR from ECU he couldn't, star was giving connection error.

MAF was replaced with a new one 6 months ago because it was giving MAF error (Hot film). The only part is old and not replaced is MAP sensor.

During measuring the EGR % was stack to 4%. I don't know if this means something.

This morning when I tested the car with my scanner on. The Air mass was rising up to 1400 but the % values of EGR where stable at 4%. Do you know what are the correct limits of air mass? I could give it a try tomorrow morning and give you the readings.

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From memory the limits are something like 300-600 at idle. If the maf is in the wrong range, it will do the same thing. STAR shows the correct range.

1400 at idle is too high and will prevent the EGR operation from being detected I think

OP
A

Aerouk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2001 w210
From memory the limits are something like 300-600 at idle. If the maf is in the wrong range, it will do the same thing. STAR shows the correct range.

1400 at idle is too high and will prevent the EGR operation from being detected I think

I will check it again. If I remember correctly it is 850 at idle and 1000-1100 at 2000 rpm. If there is something wrong with the MAF, Star will not detect it?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I will check it again. If I remember correctly it is 850 at idle and 1000-1100 at 2000 rpm. If there is something wrong with the MAF, Star will not detect it?

Not always, had one in yesterday. Airmass was at 1600 at idle. Car was not in limp mode and drove with full power........ EGR fault was showing though. New maf, no egr fault any more.

OP
A

Aerouk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2001 w210
Not always, had one in yesterday. Airmass was at 1600 at idle. Car was not in limp mode and drove with full power........ EGR fault was showing though. New maf, no egr fault any more.

Before I get a new MAF. I noticed that the Vacuum hose that goes to the brake booster gives vacuum to the end that is connected to the servo booster. just before this end there is a cylindrical (filter like shaped) part that works as T connector and there is a hose that goes to the EGR Pressure converter and the Turbo Pressure converter (thru the vacuum tank) that actuates the turbo. We noticed that there is not any vacuum power in this end of the T connect.

It seems like it is a check valve and the luck of vacum probably causes the wrong readings of EGR since the vaccum actuator of the ERG is not working.
I cannot find the part number of the complete hose (Merc sells it as an assembly). Do you know if this T connector is a check valve also? If I know I might be able to replace it with a T and a Check valve. Or alternatively does anyone know the part number?

Attachments

• Tconnector.jpg
    Tconnector.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 14

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you have vaccum at the pipe that goes into the EGR transducer?

But yes, the T piece is a check valve, it sounds like its potentially blocked, as they usually fail open.

Pull a vaccum using a handheld tester and go for a drive.

OP
A

Aerouk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2001 w210
Do you have vaccum at the pipe that goes into the EGR transducer?

But yes, the T piece is a check valve, it sounds like its potentially blocked, as they usually fail open.

Pull a vacuum using a handheld tester and go for a drive.
No there isn't vacuum at the end of EGR. The small exit of the check valve looks like it is blocked. the big end works fine.
Can I unblock this? Or do you know the part number? I'm in Switzerland for 2 days visiting clients and the local merc distributor couldn't find anything ,I can only say good morning in German:). Any suggestion. Tomorrow I have to return and passing the alps again without boost is very embarrassing, smoking like ship and max speed of 40 miles...

OP
A

Aerouk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2001 w210
Sorry made mistake before. The Valve has a pipe that goes to EGR transducer, I confirm it. At this end I cannot measure any vacuum.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are two pipes that go to the EGR transducer.

One should have vacuum all the time

The other one that goes from the trandsucer to the actual EGR valve will only have vacuum when the car is actuating the EGR.

Do you have vacuum on the pipe going to the egr transudcer, not from it? If not, then the valve must be stuck. They aren't really serviceable, and to replace it, you must replace the pipe that goes from the vac pump to the brake servo.

OP
A

Aerouk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2001 w210
Valve is stuck, no vacuum on pipe that goes to the transducer. I ordered the pipe from the Pump to Brake servo. Hopefully I will have it by tomorrow. One more question. The pipe that goes to the transducer actually comes thru a T connector and the other end goes to the vacuum tank before the turbo actuator transducer. Do you know of there is anything else connected to this line? I need to check if there is a leak there also. According to the drawing there isn't but as you can see it doesn't show the Brake servo connection 320cdi1.jpg e320cdi-2.jpg

Top Bottom