Second car choice and/or motorbike

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R 230 SL 500 2004 & Nissan Navara, Jag E-Pace, BMW Z4
I've always said if I loose the company car I'll get an Alfa GTV for run around, always fancied one, but practically Mrs Q's Z4 never gets driven so I'd probably end up driving that.
Friend of mine had someone ram the back of his 3 Series a few years ago and he decided to buy a runaround and fix it himself - he turned up in an XJ6 really nice car, nicer than the beemer, and very cheap to buy at the time.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I've always said if I loose the company car I'll get an Alfa GTV for run around, always fancied one, but practically Mrs Q's Z4 never gets driven so I'd probably end up driving that.
Friend of mine had someone ram the back of his 3 Series a few years ago and he decided to buy a runaround and fix it himself - he turned up in an XJ6 really nice car, nicer than the beemer, and very cheap to buy at the time.

A friend of mine has one and he loves it. Having travelled in it I think it has become a very old fashioned car. Some of the styling particularly the interior is very dated :(

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I remember being shown a W124 back in 2003 ish. When I worked at Philips electronics. My team leader was getting everyone in his team to move over to them as he felt they were brilliant and almost bomb proof. Sadly I didn't change because I wasn't convinced and I think my finances were not brilliant even though he insisted my finances would improve with one of these. You know what? I wish now that I Had listened to him and bought one.
I bought my C220 s203 5 years ago. Best car I have ever owned!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm on my 3rd and these W124s have been my sole daily transport for 12 years, all have been used for 15k-20k miles a year all over Europe and yes the engines are bomb proof so they don't actully let you down completely - I've never been left at the roadside. And that's despite the first two having 150k miles when bought and this one very near to 300k, but it's the legendary diesel manual so no electronics at all and very good mpg (50mpg on a run). The lack of electronics mean it never fails suddenly/throws a 2-3k bill on just one thing like the newer ones seem capable of. Nevertheless, while the engines/gearboxes might last 500k miles without trouble/fettling, the rest of the bits don't and as such you could easily spend 2-3k at a mechanics just replacing suspension, drivetrain, radiators and other various bits as I had to in my first year of ownership, and if I was replacing everything that wasn't perfect it would have been that again: there's numerous bits that are working 95% - 70% so they do their job fine but one has to accept the car is never really in a state of perfection. As a daily I don't really care as long as it's safe and reliable and because they're tough they're a good car to neglect a little (within reason) e.g. extended service items, takes veg oil, can be loaded up with building materials, etc.

Not sure I'd recommend one to you if it's cheap short term hassle free motoring you need, long term cheap reliable motoring, yes.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
I'm on my 3rd and these W124s have been my sole daily transport for 12 years, all have been used for 15k-20k miles a year all over Europe and yes the engines are bomb proof so they don't actully let you down completely - I've never been left at the roadside. And that's despite the first two having 150k miles when bought and this one very near to 300k, but it's the legendary diesel manual so no electronics at all and very good mpg (50mpg on a run). The lack of electronics mean it never fails suddenly/throws a 2-3k bill on just one thing like the newer ones seem capable of. Nevertheless, while the engines/gearboxes might last 500k miles without trouble/fettling, the rest of the bits don't and as such you could easily spend 2-3k at a mechanics just replacing suspension, drivetrain, radiators and other various bits as I had to in my first year of ownership, and if I was replacing everything that wasn't perfect it would have been that again: there's numerous bits that are working 95% - 70% so they do their job fine but one has to accept the car is never really in a state of perfection. As a daily I don't really care as long as it's safe and reliable and because they're tough they're a good car to neglect a little (within reason) e.g. extended service items, takes veg oil, can be loaded up with building materials, etc.

Not sure I'd recommend one to you if it's cheap short term hassle free motoring you need, long term cheap reliable motoring, yes.

Mmmm, I must admit you've definitely given me food for thought. Thank you.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I think you are looking for a unicorn finding a reliable car for under £1k that will do more than 55mpg.
And if that elusive unicorn is found, what you may save on fuel over your 220cdi, you will more than lose on tax, insurance,MOT and upkeep of another car.

I'd just keep driving the one you have for now and enjoy it.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
Mmmm, I must admit you've definitely given me food for thought. Thank you.

When looking on autotrader, what should i be looking for to find a W124?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Easiest option is pick age range 1980 to 2000 - quite a few 124's come up that way - not many diesels though

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

They are a nightmare to find on any search/parts site as earlier ones are 250/300 (diesel) or 230/280/300 (petrols). Then they changed in 1993 to be E200/220/280/320 (petrols) and E250D/300D (diesels) - I think these come up as e class...so easier just to look for Mercedes 1986 to 1996 and pretty much most of the cheaper stuff will be W124 or 190s.

In the UK you won't get a diesel or an estate for anything sensible any more, in fact the whole market seems to have gone up from when I last bought a great UK E220 estate 8 years ago for 1300!!!...My first two were e220s which I found to be a great engine - 0-60 in 10.5s so fast enough, and 35-40mpg on a run and reliable - a little gruff as it's a 4 cyl and a little loud at 75+ with the 4spd autobox (could have done with a 5th gear), but a good all rounder all the same.

Something like this is nice and tough but as they say, it will need money and something simple as sub frame bushes wearing is I think a rather expensive fix if you can't do it yourself...so I wouldn't get it to lower your ruinning costs short term

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...rchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

If you don't need 4 doors/rear seat space these are lovely and the boot is bigger than the saloon so more practical. I'm really not sure why these don't command a premium over the saloons but there seems to be very little in it...a shame this one seems to have been lowered but otherwise good

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...-to=3500&sort=relevance&year-from=1980&page=2

There really isn't much more out there on autotrader/pistonheads in the UK, I'm actually shocked how much people are asking for nice ones - seems like 3-4k for a base model 230E early saloon in great condition is the going rate...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
was sl for runs and aclass diesel auto for shopping, now its ml or NG for "dry" runs and a class or clk for shopping ,the clk is kept because its tidy and worth b/all the a class is great on gas . went out in a zoe last week in france charging is free. does job but not much of a drivers experience .very plastic ,wonder what the green credentials are with it ref recycle ect.?at the moment the A costs us b/all ,no road tax in france and 180 euro a yr to insure, mot every 2 yr. have another racked up for bits and hope to run it till everything runs out.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anyone spot a problem in the description....?

Well I don't think that Merc at that time allowed marketeers to create specs and pretty much each car was optioned up individually so it's not actually an "SE Limited Edition" but to be fair, I've never seen an E220 with that sort of spec before so it's not a problem. All in all looks quite a good informative advert and seems genuine about what it might need in the future. MOst of the dealers just copy and paste the spec sheet so instead of mentioning MOT/ condition you get to know that it comes with such gems as "5x seatbelts" and a "passenger wing mirror"

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How much?!!! They appear to hold their value then?!!
I just found a great car on Auto Trader:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903216119124

I remember being outbid at the last minute on ebay on a Burgandy 1996 E320 cabriolet about 10 yrs ago. I thought my 6k bid was too much as I didn't need such an extravagance and the buyer got it for 6400. I also remember winning a bid on a 1300 good condition black manual 190E 2.3-16v Cosworth and then didnt buy it as the seller mentioned he lost the V5 after the auction so I decided not to proceed as it was too much hassle. I remember bidding about 1k for a few 500/560SECs again in OK condition fully working and with MOTs and them all being sold for under 2k.

A garage of those three now in average condition would be in excess of 35k...

Although not as rare (which is partly why the cabrios are so expensive) the pillarless coupes are IMO even better looking and just as nice to be in on a sunny day (my first W124 was a coupe) - if you could get a goodish one of those for a few k they can't really be far off appreciating significantly.

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
I use the wife's 1600cc 2012 Nissan Note for local driving,not sure what the mpg is but must be better than my E500.My Harley is 1550cc & not very economical & being a Harley rider I don't go out in the rain,it's a toy not a means of transport.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde

Rust! Late W124's and w201's with sacco panels hide rust very well. If you are looking at one always remove the jacking point covers and have a good look in there for rust. Also under the rear parcel shelf inside the boot is a common rot spot and v expensive to fix. Front lower ball joints are a safety item but easy to spot if the steering is notchy or feels odd. Apart from that the diesels especially are great cars. Classic insurance, veg oil friendly mechanical pump diesels so motoring does'nt get any cheaper than that.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom