Flat Battery, can't open vehicle

OP
T

tommymac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 2009 1.8
We’re running. I’m in now, and engine turning over. Must have been greasy terminals on the battery, it was fine after I went around them with a toothbrush.

- technically minded? I think I’m logical, and good with mechanics. Not an electrician though, and have had a few DIY shocks, so probably more nervous than I should be.
- waste of money on the Arteck? I don’t think so at all. It has got me and a number of friends out of trouble on several occasions. It also once enabled me to play the hero on a Eurotunnel train, after an announcement that disembarkation would be delayed for 30 minutes while emergency services were called to start someone.
- thanks for the pointers wighty, I’ll look at that

If in this situation again, or making recommendations to anyone else, I’d certainly advise popping the hood the way that I did. Dead easy to get to, a lot of room to work in, and no risk of shock. Other people might have differing views.

can’t thank you guys enough for bearing with me, and simplifying things for my simple mind. M80, TonyDyson and LostKiwi in particular, if you are in the West Kent area then drop me a PM, as I definitely owe you a drink Or two.

Now that this saga appears to be over, we can all go back to the Brexit saga.

thanks again.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
You and others were far more useful at getting the bonnet up.
Well done.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Made a better serial than anything on TV :D

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
Yes. I agree with the previous post. Well done. And apologies for my comments. You are a better mechanic than I am then. My background is electrical & electronics not mechanical. Although I have learnt loads this year with the help of these brilliant and amazing guys whom I also owe a few drinks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Well done, you are now the registered bonnet lock picker.
May have taken a bit of time but you now have not only the satisfaction of sorting it yourself but the knowledge to pass on to others in the same situation.
Only thing is there are a lot of members looking for another story to follow now!

cbxpete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55AMG
Well done to all concerned, quite a saga. Been following with interest, my SL55 had a flat consumer battery last week(three weeks in the garage having a couple of ABC pipes replaced) but started and drove ok but did not charge the rear battery. The fobs would not open doors but my blade key worked ok on both boot and door with 2.6v showing on the consumer battery.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
We’re running. I’m in now, and engine turning over. Must have been greasy terminals on the battery, it was fine after I went around them with a toothbrush.

- technically minded? I think I’m logical, and good with mechanics. Not an electrician though, and have had a few DIY shocks, so probably more nervous than I should be.
- waste of money on the Arteck? I don’t think so at all. It has got me and a number of friends out of trouble on several occasions. It also once enabled me to play the hero on a Eurotunnel train, after an announcement that disembarkation would be delayed for 30 minutes while emergency services were called to start someone.
- thanks for the pointers wighty, I’ll look at that

If in this situation again, or making recommendations to anyone else, I’d certainly advise popping the hood the way that I did. Dead easy to get to, a lot of room to work in, and no risk of shock. Other people might have differing views.

can’t thank you guys enough for bearing with me, and simplifying things for my simple mind. M80, TonyDyson and LostKiwi in particular, if you are in the West Kent area then drop me a PM, as I definitely owe you a drink Or two.

Now that this saga appears to be over, we can all go back to the Brexit saga.

thanks again.
If you have leaking camshaft magnets , contact me and I'll try and point you to the next steps

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Well done, you are now the registered bonnet lock picker.
May have taken a bit of time but you now have not only the satisfaction of sorting it yourself but the knowledge to pass on to others in the same situation.
Only thing is there are a lot of members looking for another story to follow now!
I'm going to be changing my glow plugs and crankshaft sensor soon on the E class , might be a saga in there somewhere :D

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
https://mercedes.7zap.com/en/eu/fg/car/ input your VIN here and you will have access to the schematics of your vehicle.

Um. Been using this for a couple of weeks now until I suddenly noticed for C class it had gone into the CLA class and not what i was looking for which is C220 CDI. So I’ve moved back to using a shortcut to the mbepc.net catalogue instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Um. Been using this for a couple of weeks now until I suddenly noticed for C class it had gone into the CLA class and not what i was looking for which is C220 CDI. So I’ve moved back to using a shortcut to the mbepc.net catalogue instead
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Them Russians? :rolleyes:

Geoff Jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 R230

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Sorry to resurrect this thread and l don't know if the op ever gained entry.
In preparation for my forthcoming 3 week holiday, I've been checking my newly acquired 209 coupe, including making sure the mechanical key unlocks the driver door, which it does. However can someone confirm that the lock will definitely work if the battery completely discharges. Worrying if it doesn't.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sorry to resurrect this thread and l don't know if the op ever gained entry.
In preparation for my forthcoming 3 week holiday, I've been checking my newly acquired 209 coupe, including making sure the mechanical key unlocks the driver door, which it does. However can someone confirm that the lock will definitely work if the battery completely discharges. Worrying if it doesn't.
Should do, it’s purely mechanical.

You could test it if you want by disconnecting the battery. Lock the car first (without the alarm on) and the boot and bonnet open. Then disconnect the battery (leaving the boot and bonnet open). Then use the key to open the drivers door.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom