2018 AMG A Class locks keys in car - MB say this is normal!

SallyD&D

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A-Class A 180 d '68
I am just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue with the new A Class? I have had the car since Sep 18 and have had this happen a handful of times. My thinking is that the car should sense the key is there and allow the car to be unlocked by the handles if accidently locked by swiping the door handle (kids etc!). My car has been in with my local dealership and after initially being tol it as a known fault I have now been told that MB have said it is the standard operation. An email today states:

"It is possible and normal to be able to lock the keys in the car. The behaviour was changed with the introduction of DAS4 so only the driver’s door and the door where the lock command comes from need to be closed. By inadvertently operating the keyless lock sensor on the handle on the door it can be locked as it is closed. This is no defect in the sense of warranty. Unfortunately this is confirmation that a key can be locked in the vehicle and that as there are no component failures in this case"

The Customer Service rep I spoke to prior to this email told me that they 'do not have the technology' to sense the key is in the car - I said I find that hard to believe as that's the whole point of Keyless Go! He also said if the the key is inside my bag on the front seat the car won't sense it - which it does, every day!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
Park it right outside their main gate on Monday am so nobody can leave or enter the premises.

Leave it to self lock itself with the key in the car.

Then tell them it's a feature not a fault.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
as above.!!!!!! sounds like boxxoxxs to me. half the time dealers dont seem to understand their own product,meantime ensure spare somewhere away from car .....

maybe u get them to knock out front and P/S front windows and you dukes of hazzard enter !! nuts...
previous reply best idea..by far...

Last edited:

CJD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 AMG Line, Premium Plus, S205 Estate, 2018
After reading this, out of curiosity I've just been out to my car.
In my case it is impossible to lock the car from outside, by either using the boot remote button or by touching the door handle if the keys are inside the car.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I haven’t tried to lock my keys in the car but I did the opposite the other day. I leant through the open window to turn the ignition on (wanted to use my tyre inflator plugged into the 12v socket) and it said no key detected. I had to place the key on the drivers seat before I could get the ignition to turn on. So it definitely knew whether the key was inside our just outside.

That said, when we are away on holiday, there is always the spare key in Mrs L's handbag and sometimes she leaves her bag in the boot and I have no problem locking the car then.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I am just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue with the new A Class? I have had the car since Sep 18 and have had this happen a handful of times. My thinking is that the car should sense the key is there and allow the car to be unlocked by the handles if accidently locked by swiping the door handle (kids etc!). My car has been in with my local dealership and after initially being tol it as a known fault I have now been told that MB have said it is the standard operation. An email today states:

"It is possible and normal to be able to lock the keys in the car. The behaviour was changed with the introduction of DAS4 so only the driver’s door and the door where the lock command comes from need to be closed. By inadvertently operating the keyless lock sensor on the handle on the door it can be locked as it is closed. This is no defect in the sense of warranty. Unfortunately this is confirmation that a key can be locked in the vehicle and that as there are no component failures in this case"

The Customer Service rep I spoke to prior to this email told me that they 'do not have the technology' to sense the key is in the car - I said I find that hard to believe as that's the whole point of Keyless Go! He also said if the the key is inside my bag on the front seat the car won't sense it - which it does, every day!

What does your Owners Manual say about it, there should be a description of operation in there?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The Customer Service rep I spoke to prior to this email told me that they 'do not have the technology' to sense the key is in the car
Utter rubbish. Our 2002 SL can sense the key in the car or boot and refuse to lock.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Even Emily's keyless Yaris can sense the key is inside ... as above, surely that's the whole point!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
On ALL MBs I have tested (including W205), if equipped with Keyless, it does not let you lock the car key inside the car. The dashboard says "Key in vehicle".

If you put the key in the boot and press the "close boot and lock" button, the boot closes, pauses then re-opens.

Not only does the car know that the key is inside the car, it knows exactly where inside the car is (this information can be brought up on the diagnostic kit)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
if its one of these modern keys that's awake when moved and if left to goes to sleep, no car will know its there... unless the car keeps it awake and then we'll soon have a flat battery

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
if its one of these modern keys that's awake when moved and if left to goes to sleep, no car will know its there... unless the car keeps it awake and then we'll soon have a flat battery

but unless the key is left in the car, with the car unlocked for 5 minutes then locked, it shouldnt be a problem?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I try not to leave my key in the car, even if I get out to open the garage door or even working on it, my old Bentley taught me that lesson when it self locked and it wasn't a feature. AA Man to the Rescue :D

Peter.11.07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A 200 amg line premium
My wife got her A200 premium with keyless entry for just over a month now. She always does the same thing - puts our two doggies in car on the back seat and her handbag with keys phone all lot behind front seats on the floor and it was all working fine until yesterday.
She got out of car closed drivers door and the car locked itself with everything inside - handbag keys phone and two dogs.
It was impossible to open any door, the key fob battery is OK as it works now fine. She had to get back home to pick up sparekey to unlock the car - luckily it was only 15mins away not hours and not in hot summer as we would have to break in to get dogs out first.
It never happened before - she's got the same routine everyday, even if we tried to lock the car on purpose with key fob inside it will not lock the car so it must have been a malfunction.
Well be taking car to dealership for investigation.

Peter.11.07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A 200 amg line premium
My wife got her A200 premium with keyless entry for just over a month now. She always does the same thing - puts our two doggies in car on the back seat and her handbag with keys phone all lot being front seats and it was all working fine until yesterday.
She got out of car closed drivers door and the car locked itself with everything inside - handbag keys phone and two dogs.
It was impossible to open any door, the key fob battery is OK as it works now fine. She had to get back home to pick up sparekey to unlock the car - luckily it was only 15mins away not hours and not in hot summer as we would have to break in to get dogs put first.
It never happened before - she's got the same routine everyday, even if we tried to lock the car on purpose with key fob inside it will not lock the car so it must have been a malfunction.
Well be taking car to dealership for investigation.

In relation to the customer service rep - some of them have no idea what they talk about, car wouldn't start if it couldn't sense the key inside and it shouldn't lock it inside for sure as every time I get out let's say at a petrol station I leave key inside and pay at a pump. But of course they tall you anything just not to admit something is wrong with their car.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Albeit my MB is a C Class a couple of months ago I left the keys inside the boot and the car would not lock. It made me scratch my head a bit until I realised what I had done. :rolleyes:

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
First time seeing this thread because the OP made her one and only post in Oct 2019 which pre dates my membership and was never seen or heard from again....but any car from any manufacturer with a keyless ystem absolutely should not lock from the outside while the fob is located inside the car.
Auto locking at 10mph is an exeption, but this would obviously never be a problem because the driver is inside the car.
It is good practice to keep the fob from a keyless car in ones pocket so this potential issue/fault could never arise, but it is a fact of life that women tend to keep car keys in handbags.
I realise that not everybody is the same and some will have a bunch of keys on the same key ring which includes car/house/etc that will not easily fit inside a trouser pocket, but it is not best practice to keep all your important keys on the same key ring because if you lose one you lose them all.
I have always kept my car keys separate from all other keys.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom