Fuel really makes a difference

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I'm going to bring this old chesnut up again. Lately iv been filling up at morrisons to do my usual commute 84 miles daily. I was averaging 49mpg which I thought was a little shabby as iv achieved mid 50s previously. Anyhow I had this for a while then went past sainsburys one day on the way home as saw 127p a little so I filled her up first time ever at sainsburys. Since filling her up the trip computer has been reading consistently 4 plus extra mpg on all my journeys. Makes you wonder??? Also on the morrisons fuel I thought the car was sluggish pulling away on the motoway and overtaking etc. But lately is been better and seems more responsive. Does fuel actually make that big of a different???? Happy arguing :D

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
No simple answer here. It depends on the car, conditions and driving style.
Same car, this was over 40 plus journeys and the driving style I'd like to this was simular. There's a few journeys I tried to squeeze every last mpg out and couldn't get no where near then after fueling and without trying getting well more than expected.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Same car, this was over 40 plus journeys and the driving style I'd like to this was simular. There's a few journeys I tried to squeeze every last mpg out and couldn't get no where near then after fueling and without trying getting well more than expected.
I meant how sensitive the car is to fuel. For example my Smart is very sensitive (loves Tesco Momentum, hates Excellium and is indifferent to V-Power). My 210 on the other hand just likes petrol and really doesn't care what brand.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’ve said it before the diesel at Morrison’s has lots of bio muck in. I found my Caravelle ran very badly on it

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I’ve said it before the diesel at Morrison’s has lots of bio muck in. I found my Caravelle ran very badly on it
Paradoxically the Smart runs really nicely on Intermarché E10 in France (10% bio-ethanol).

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I've always used 'premium" fuel even when I was 'poor'.

My view is that if it was rubbish, somebody would clamp down on them, I've always owned reasonably decent cars and I've (in 50 years of driving) never had a car fail me due to fuel issues.

Yea, yea ..I know correlation is not causation.

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I've always used 'premium" fuel even when I was 'poor'.

My view is that if it was rubbish, somebody would clamp down on them, I've always owned reasonably decent cars and I've (in 50 years of driving) never had a car fail me due to fuel issues.

Yea, yea ..I know correlation is not causation.
What car did you have when you were poor o_O

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
If you search t'internet there are plenty of stories about dirty fuel in supermarkets. Problem is, they're big enough to argue that they don't have any problems unless/until they caught red-handed.

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
'65 Morris Mini 850, '70 Renault R10, '66 MGB GT, '76 BMW 2000sa, '83 2.0l Ford Grenada......etc my view was that if I used good petrol it would be cheaper than repairs....and believe me, I know what it is to struggle!
We only had 1 car :D only messing!! I do believe fuel makes a difference now I didn't realise it before untill iv been doing daily long ish motoway trips

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
If you search t'internet there are plenty of stories about dirty fuel in supermarkets. Problem is, they're big enough to argue that they don't have any problems unless/until they caught red-handed.
I believe them now

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

Is that cos they sell more fuel than anyone else? :confused: It's like say that more people die in hospitals than anyone else .... ;)

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Is redex a good idea for a car that never had it? Should I start using it?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is redex a good idea for a car that never had it? Should I start using it?
The million dollar question (with no actual lab tests available to prove one way or the other).

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Must be a classic by now!

A bit like Redex itself! - I remember my Father using it back in the 60's!
They used to have those Shot Pumps at Service Stations.

inmJMQF.jpg

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom