Thanks for adding me - new to Mercedes

The_Wombat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 CLK320 Avantgarde
View media item 3156
Just bought my first Mercedes, a 2001 CLK320 Avantgarde. Collected from Wembley and just got back to Huntingdon.

Having pretty much always owned Alfa Romeos and Land Rovers (and still collecting both!!), I now understand 'why Mercedes!' even from the one trip I have made. Perhaps not quite as characterful as my other marques, but definitely still characterful, smooth, supremely solid, and comfortable. OK, I get it now (still to be convinced by BMW and Audi though :))

Need to check it over thoroughly. Unusually for me this is a used car dealer car, so there is warranty, breakdown cover etc as part of a very reasonable package, and there is a full service history right up to its barely run in 61k miles, but I will give it the once over. Already found a fuel leak when it is full, which seems to be a perished breather hose or similar.

Then I can start to get a few less priority things done. Wheels need a refurb, perhaps in a slightly darker silver or gunmetal (to hide the brake dust!), drivers seat belt doesn't retract quickly and is missing the plastic stud for the buckle, and maybe, just maybe, a double DIN Apple car play head unit.

Very pleased though!!

Last edited:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Wombat, welcome to the forum :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi and welcome to the forum. You’ve done very well to find one with that mileage :)

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Hello Wombat and welcome.

At the back of a roadside hotel we stayed at in Oz the owners looked after wild animals. They had a pair of wombats - I was very surprised how the big male liked to be picked up and cuddled - or snuggled. The fur was very coarse like hugging a yard broom! They also used to put sugar and stuff down in a long line behind the bedrooms the upper floors had balconies) and hundreds of parakeets descended just on cue. They were very tame, too.

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hey Wombat,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first MB purchase. I purchased my first at the beginning of this year.. I now well and truly have the MB bug :)

konrad1511

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 year 2000, SL 350 2003, 450SLC 1976
View media item 3156
Just bought my first Mercedes, a 2001 CLK320 Avantgarde. Collected from Wembley and just got back to Huntingdon.

Having pretty much always owned Alfa Romeos and Land Rovers (and still collecting both!!), I now understand 'why Mercedes!' even from the one trip I have made. Perhaps not quite as characterful as my other marques, but definitely still characterful, smooth, supremely solid, and comfortable. OK, I get it now (still to be convinced by BMW and Audi though :))

Need to check it over thoroughly. Unusually for me this is a used car dealer car, so there is warranty, breakdown cover etc as part of a very reasonable package, and there is a full service history right up to its barely run in 61k miles, but I will give it the once over. Already found a fuel leak when it is full, which seems to be a perished breather hose or similar.

Then I can start to get a few less priority things done. Wheels need a refurb, perhaps in a slightly darker silver or gunmetal (to hide the brake dust!), drivers seat belt doesn't retract quickly and is missing the plastic stud for the buckle, and maybe, just maybe, a double DIN Apple car play head unit.

Very pleased though!!
I own 3 Mercs currently, a CL500, SL350 2003, and an old but superb 450slc Coupe from the 70s. If anyone here in this club lives in Huntingdon and is interested in starting Private Detective work a couple of hours a week to pay for repair bills please let me know on 07379 596 917

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
Hello and welcome, nice looking motor, was going to get CLK320 about 10yrs ago but ex wife kicked off about maintenance so no go, but love my old Merc i got now, enjoy yours :)

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I own 3 Mercs currently, a CL500, SL350 2003, and an old but superb 450slc Coupe from the 70s. If anyone here in this club lives in Huntingdon and is interested in starting Private Detective work a couple of hours a week to pay for repair bills please let me know on 07379 596 917

Holy thread resurrection, Batman.

What does "Private Detective work" entail I wonder ? o_O

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Holy thread resurrection, Batman.

What does "Private Detective work" entail I wonder ? o_O

I am a really nosey parker! That'll help :D

I had a friend who was a PI and went with him one night as it was something I was quite interested in doing (I think I was watching too much The Rockford Files at the time) Sat all night in the car drinking coffee and eating donuts ( It was Louisville KY) and not a single thing happened. Well he did a lot of 'cheating partner' cases and there was lots of paper work too......That was the early 80's...actually that was 1980 :shock: I suppose the only similarity in the TV show was that my friend had no money either :rolleyes:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
View media item 3156

Very pleased though!!
Hi and Welcome !!!:)

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
I concur.. the "Private Detective" line was the most random think I have seen on this forum yet...haha

Top Bottom