Just joined as I'm considering buying a 2010 A180 & seeking advice please.

EricO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169 A180 diesel cvt
Hi everyone,
I'm in Australia and am considering buying a 2010 A180 W169 diesel model with CVT.
Have never owned a MB before, nor any type of diesel vehicle nor a CVT automatic, so I'm going into uncharted territory here and want to make sure I know what I'm doing as parts are very expensive here for MB vehicles. I know that some people here purchase parts online from UK and EU for this reason.

The car is described in the advertisement as "2010 Mercedes-Benz A180 CDI Classic", which I gather is the base model?
It has 123,000km on it which is low for an Australian car (average here is about 20,000km per year).
I have been told by someone that the A180 series has known suspension, electrical and also CVT issues?

Main use would be for the regular trip to the local shops 30km away and the occasional trip to the city 300km away. Much of the trip to Sydney is on the freeway at 110km/h and the local trips are partly on a 100km/h country road in pretty average condition.
Being a fairly light but tall car, I'm wondering how does it handle at such speeds and what about with a strong cross wind?
Am on a limited income (pension) which is why I am considering this car as it appears to be an economical choice as far as fuel goes for these trips, but I don't want to be caught out instead spending huge amounts of money on parts and repairs.

What things should I look out for when inspecting this vehicle before deciding to purchase?

Also what, if any, expensive major servicing or parts replacement should it have had or be soon due to have?
eg, I have seen the particulate filter advertised for $1100!! But then am told they don't all have one (it's optional?) and they don't often need replacing on the cars that do have one anyway?

Are most parts readily available?

Any other advice? :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Eric, I would love to help you but having never had an A180 I am unable to help, but welcome to the forum. There are some A180 owners on here so hopefully they will offer you some help. :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Again never had an A class but welcome anyway....

OP
E

EricO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169 A180 diesel cvt
Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome. :)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Hi everyone,
I'm in Australia and am considering buying a 2010 A180 W169 diesel model with CVT.
Have never owned a MB before, nor any type of diesel vehicle nor a CVT automatic, so I'm going into uncharted territory here and want to make sure I know what I'm doing as parts are very expensive here for MB vehicles. I know that some people here purchase parts online from UK and EU for this reason.

The car is described in the advertisement as "2010 Mercedes-Benz A180 CDI Classic", which I gather is the base model?
It has 123,000km on it which is low for an Australian car (average here is about 20,000km per year).
I have been told by someone that the A180 series has known suspension, electrical and also CVT issues?

Main use would be for the regular trip to the local shops 30km away and the occasional trip to the city 300km away. Much of the trip to Sydney is on the freeway at 110km/h and the local trips are partly on a 100km/h country road in pretty average condition.
Being a fairly light but tall car, I'm wondering how does it handle at such speeds and what about with a strong cross wind?
Am on a limited income (pension) which is why I am considering this car as it appears to be an economical choice as far as fuel goes for these trips, but I don't want to be caught out instead spending huge amounts of money on parts and repairs.

What things should I look out for when inspecting this vehicle before deciding to purchase?

Also what, if any, expensive major servicing or parts replacement should it have had or be soon due to have?
eg, I have seen the particulate filter advertised for $1100!! But then am told they don't all have one (it's optional?) and they don't often need replacing on the cars that do have one anyway?

Are most parts readily available?

Any other advice? :)

Welcome.

Services are expensive (I believe that for certain work, the engine has to be moved) - my wife had one....also a 2010 but petrol and we owned it in OZ (purchased in Adelaide and sold in Brisvegas).

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Welcome, my only experience was a drive in a A35AMG which had been chipped about 6 months ago. Very rapid.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Welcome, Eric. :D

OP
E

EricO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169 A180 diesel cvt
Welcome.

Services are expensive (I believe that for certain work, the engine has to be moved) - my wife had one....also a 2010 but petrol and we owned it in OZ (purchased in Adelaide and sold in Brisvegas).

Welcome.

That's worrying! What work would require the engine moved?
I called the NRMA technical services people today and they told me to avoid them as the CVT is known to fail and cost around $8000. My local mechanic says the same. That's twice the cost of the car and more than I can afford unfortunately, so it's looking like my purchase of what I see as a wonderful to drive, fuel efficient little car is probably not going to happen. :-(

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
That's worrying! What work would require the engine moved?
I called the NRMA technical services people today and they told me to avoid them as the CVT is known to fail and cost around $8000. My local mechanic says the same. That's twice the cost of the car and more than I can afford unfortunately, so it's looking like my purchase of what I see as a wonderful to drive, fuel efficient little car is probably not going to happen. :-(

A service that needed new spark plugs cost AU$1700 at the Brisbane MB dealer. Apparently the engine had to be tilted for access and it was a big job to change the plugs. Obviously no spark plugs on the diesel but who knows .....

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I made to effort to welcome a new member, only to be criticised by you a current member. I did think we were a friendly club?

Apologies.

The 'welcome' part was very nice.

However, the op wanted to know about a specific car, not something you once had a drive in and which is a completely different car.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
The problem with modern car powerplants is the way they are often shoehorned into their engine compartments. The engine and its ancilliaries are built as a unit" off car "where access is effectively 360 degrees in the vertical and horizontal planes . THE BUILT UP final assembly of engine /gearbox/ differential /drive/ front suspension-hub assembly is then presented to the body from below on the production line--- a build and ease of access process almost impossible to routinely emulate outside a production line making repair sometimes a lengthy process for replacement of even a minor component. PACKAGING---ITS OFTEN A CURSE FOR THE MODERN MECHANIC.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
The only A class i have driven was a Easycar hire car petrol model Mk2 and despite being pretty much new was a fairly uninspiring car to drive. It lacked the solid feeling which every other Mercedes i have driven (1978 450slc, 1991 190d 2.5 & s210 320cdi) had and which for me is what driving a Mercedes is all about.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
A service that needed new spark plugs cost AU$1700 at the Brisbane MB dealer. Apparently the engine had to be tilted for access and it was a big job to change the plugs. Obviously no spark plugs on the diesel but who knows .....

before you leap spend a buck on a haynes for it have a read it will explain how to get at most dramas, then you will be better informed . i have a W168 and there are a number of jobs that are a ball ache .

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Welcome to the forum Eric

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom