Is mercedes pulling a fast one on my dpf

Aaron Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi amg sport 2012
Hi guys just want to know if this is happend to anyone else I had a recall on my car for a airbag deployment earthing but didn't mention a car software update got a phone car to collect the car later on 5hours later seems weird already and drove the car away and it was in some kind of limp mode engine management light was on drive it back got them to diagnose the problem and came up with dpf error due to new software so they kept hold. Of the car for 5days I had to keep on calling to get an update they asked me to come in for a chat didn't seem to good so after the chat I had with the lead mechinc saying the my car does have a dpf has the box but nothing inside it and that's a the rest why my car was going into limp mode but then I asked my friend that does remap etc. And he said this has happend to him and it was a load of crap as my car was reading all OK during that day when I had my remap are mercedes pulling a fast one for a quick buck please help many thanks

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
If the dpf had been removed previously and then had a remap to suit, it would drive all ok. However if a software update has been done by Mercedes, it would have overwritten your original map. Mercedes would not have known a remap had been installed.
We’re your exhaust ends sooty and black?

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
If the dpf had been removed previously and then had a remap to suit, it would drive all ok. However if a software update has been done by Mercedes, it would have overwritten your original map. Mercedes would not have known a remap had been installed.

100% in agreement with this.
Not Mercedes fault here, they applied the software update and its removed the mapping which took into account the DPF delete.
DPF delete is illegal by the way

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
As above, you will need to get the map reapplied or a new DPF fitted. The latter is the best option if you don't want the car to fail its next MOT.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
wow.. is their nothing within this wonderful system that tells the operator of the update that the existing install is not std and to exercise caution before proceeding.?.bit like a "window" are you sure you want to do this ? ie call owner before proceeding ... and why i am very wary of ever going for any update on a functioning vehicle.
that said the owner really should know whats going on with installs/deletes ect on his car and exercise caution when considering a dealer update
i am not a fan of dpf/egr delete either but, if the prices of this equipment remain at their farcical levels i will certainly be looking into it if the need arises. and am already collecting any info i find on the subject. i dont use my dpf /electronic egr equipped car for any short journeys to try and avoid known issues but that in itself is a nuts situation is it not ? the general view i find on here is if i use this equipped vehicle .on short trips ,ie shops and back it will., dpf egr nox sensors ect bite me in the arse. and if i was the owner from new i would raise the subject of "fit for purpose " as i doubt even one buyer was advised .

as i understand it ?egr flaps in the manifold are electrically/electronically driven now ?,with it seems no thought to the enviroment they operate in. to me sense would be they stop in an open position or wherever normal opps are not impaired. when a certain load ,resistance(getting but not blocked ) is detected and a warning light comes on . car still runs fine no limp. and you basically have till next mot to sort it out .assuming it gets spotted there?
this maybe the default, i have yet to find out . but the wrecking of parts of this system due to an obvious operating condition is nuts

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
As above, you will need to get the map reapplied or a new DPF fitted. The latter is the best option if you don't want the car to fail its next MOT.

my presumably wrong impression ? so long as dpf shows no signs of being tampered with there is no mot prob ?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Apparently we only own the car not the software, so MB can do as they like with that.
It's not going to be worth the expence of restoring to original imo.
Better to contact the previous owner and hope he had the remap so you can return for it to be restored. As long as it wasn't smoking previously, which is often difficult for the driver to be aware of, that should sort your problem.
As above if there is no visual evidence of DPF tampering there isn't an MOT issue, if it isn't smoking.

Lesson is to stay away from MB,
and tell any future Indie not to update anything.

OP
A

Aaron Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
100% in agreement with this.
Not Mercedes fault here, they applied the software update and its removed the mapping which took into account the DPF delete.
DPF delete is illegal by the way[/QUOTE
I haven't had the dpf take out there was one there befor it went into mercedes for a recall so no wrong doing on my side

OP
A

Aaron Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Apparently we only own the car not the software, so MB can do as they like with that.
Better to contact the previous owner and hope he had the remap so you can return for it to be restored. As long as it wasn't smoking previously, which is often difficult for the driver to be aware of, that should sort your problem.
As above if there is no visual evidence of DPF tampering there isn't an MOT issue, if it isn't smoking.

Yeah I know what you mean I bought it from Evans so they wouldn't of Known but after bought the car 2 years ago I had a check to make sure everything was there and the dpf was there no tampering tbh it looked really new I think mb wanted a quick buck as they don't get payed for a recall and know wants 1k for a new dpf

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
my presumably wrong impression ? so long as dpf shows no signs of being tampered with there is no mot prob ?
Not any more. The tester is told to fail a diesel if he/she see's any black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)

Don't all diesels smoke if there isn't a DPF though!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
less so i believe with the modern real high press systems . as to if a removed dpf will allow to much soot out i dont really know . good question to ask .one would think so as its the reason de existance for DPF.

anyone on here removed DPF and still obtained a MOT recently ???????????

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't all diesels smoke if there isn't a DPF though!

TBH I think all diesels will smoke, but how noticable.

My earlier Viano V6 didn't descernaably smoke until it developped an issue, even with its DPF it was embarrassing. Having tried many things to resolve I gave up and sold it at a loss to someone who seemingly didn't have issue with it.

My now 2.1 Vito doesn't smoke, as far as I can tell, and I do look for it. No DPF and I beleive it runs as clean as is possible.
I know that larger particulates will be emitted.

Often I drive in traffic and pick up that Paraffin smell, and put it down to a larger diesel wagon up front, an older Landy, or some prat with a stage 1 poor quality remap.

Prior to my remapping this one I have asked if others have experience of additional and discernable exhaust emissions post remap, as I don't want to choke any poor sods behind.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
less so i believe with the modern real high press systems . as to if a removed dpf will allow to much soot out i dont really know . good question to ask .one would think so as its the reason de existance for DPF.

anyone on here removed DPF and still obtained a MOT recently ???????????

You will if it doesn't smoke, and tbh my MOT station don't seem to concentrate too much on smoke emissions.
A difficult one to answer I would have thought. Some MOT testers might be happy to fail pretty much any diesel.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You will if it doesn't smoke, and tbh my MOT station don't seem to concentrate too much on smoke emissions.
A difficult one to answer I would have thought. Some MOT testers might be happy to fail pretty much any diesel.

got you. a bit of a lottery then for the time being ..

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Reading some text of the link by flowrider it seems the test is pretty lax.
Revving to 2,500 and return to idle. If the smoke that might impair following drivers vision doesn't clear in 5 seconds the test is run again prior to a fail, with tester discretion.

If I read that correctly my embarrassing exViano is ok on the road even though it chokes half the world.

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
DofT is on the point of introducing new testing equipment that'll measure particulates coming from a diesel exhaust to ensure its on line with manufacturers quoted outputs.
That'll detect DPF deletes.
Also, any smoke coming from a diesel vehicle that came from the factory with a DPF is an instant fail.
With the fines that are now payable if an MOT tester passes a car that should've been a fail, along with losing there testing licence, the rogue MOT testers will be falling by the wayside.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i remember LR idea of reducing emissions bolt a compressor to the motor and pipe the air into the exhaust !! maybe i connect a dyson blower after my 1st box ??

OP
A

Aaron Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not any more. The tester is told to fail a diesel if he/she see's any black smoke coming out of the exhaust.
No black smoke no smoke at all and no bad smell like I said there was a dpf on my car before it went in to there garage

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom