Is mercedes pulling a fast one on my dpf

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
i remember LR idea of reducing emissions bolt a compressor to the motor and pipe the air into the exhaust !! maybe i connect a dyson blower after my 1st box ??
That wasn't an LR idea, I believe it originated in California as part of the CARB regulations.
Started to appear around mid 60s

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
With the proliferation of dummy exhaust tips on cars these days surely no car will fail the emission test! ;)

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
No black smoke no smoke at all and no bad smell like I said there was a dpf on my car before it went in to there garage
Are you saying that the MB garage stole your cars DPF?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
That wasn't an LR idea, I believe it originated in California as part of the CARB regulations.
Started to appear around mid 60s

maybe but they happy enough to fit it...very D.B i didnt believe it when i first saw them ! sort of thing harry wud do in his "shed" or to it...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
maybe but they happy enough to fit it...very D.B i didnt believe it when i first saw them ! sort of thing harry wud do in his "shed" or to it...
The idea wasn't to dilute the emissions it was to add air to allow combustion to take place in the exhaust to remove hydrocarbons. Then as Cats became more common they allowed the catalytic converter to heat up faster lowering emissions that way. Once the cat was hot the pump would turn off. Subsequently they introduced downstream injection after the cat which only activated after the cat was hot. This allowed better oxidation of any remaining emissions.
It was actually quite sophisticated!

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
No black smoke no smoke at all and no bad smell like I said there was a dpf on my car before it went in to there garage
The dpf case might be there and show no signs of tampering (you can remove the internals without damaging the case) so you wouldn't know if the dpf was all present and correct.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
The idea wasn't to dilute the emissions it was to add air to allow combustion to take place in the exhaust to remove hydrocarbons. Then as Cats became more common they allowed the catalytic converter to heat up faster lowering emissions that way. Once the cat was hot the pump would turn off. Subsequently they introduced downstream injection after the cat which only activated after the cat was hot. This allowed better oxidation of any remaining emissions.
It was actually quite sophisticated!

the cases i saw were in the very early eighties. and my understand was, to pass USA emissions i saw it on a good number of these on the site landies we had i pressumed they were job lot of cancelled US orders ?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Was the software update to reduce NOx this is something I believe MB are engaged in as well as the airbag fix?

Re the DPF issue you really need to talk the previous owner(s). Very difficult to tell nowadays from a visual under the car whether the DPF core has been removed it really needs taking off for examination.

OP
A

Aaron Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi amg sport 2012
Was the software update to reduce NOx this is something I believe MB are engaged in as well as the airbag fix?

Re the DPF issue you really need to talk the previous owner(s). Very difficult to tell nowadays from a visual under the car whether the DPF core has been removed it really needs taking off for examination.
Yes was an airbag deployment earthing but also with out me Knowing they done a software update with out me saying yes to do it as I can refuse to have an update and it was to do with the emmisons and way back when I bought it I put on a new exhaust system and I can see layers of filters in the dpf box so I Knew it was all there and no sign of Damage will get car back Sunday and I will check to see if they have tampered with it after all this

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes was an airbag deployment earthing but also with out me Knowing they done a software update with out me saying yes to do it as I can refuse to have an update and it was to do with the emmisons and way back when I bought it I put on a new exhaust system and I can see layers of filters in the dpf box so I Knew it was all there and no sign of Damage will get car back Sunday and I will check to see if they have tampered with it after all this
You need to ask why would they tamper and spend man hours doing so when they have no guarantee of getting any work from it?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lesson to learn here, i wont need it 2x . good luck to OP sticky ground methinks, tho i dont quite get how benz can install something without getting the owners permission /signature .i suspect the updates come as a package incl ???

Bogus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230E 1992. BMW X3 2.0 d. X drive 2012
How do they know the dpf is “empty” did they dismantle the exhaust for a look ? Did they xray it ? I doubt it, if you are sure the dpf was there before you took it in, then Id guess its there now, and any issues are purely software, and anything else you are being told is technician b.s. Looks like the garage has created the problem but now want you to fix it, by chucking cash at it.

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
What dealership did you take it to?

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unfortunately, sometimes when updating certain control units, a Mercedes star system will update a selection of control units automatically. The technician has no say in it. Now I’m not a fan of dealers but I can’t see how they would know if a map has been installed or if the dpf was complete.

OP
A

Aaron Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi amg sport 2012
lesson to learn here, i wont need it 2x . good luck to OP sticky ground methinks, tho i dont quite get how benz can install something without getting the owners permission /signature .i suspect the updates come as a package incl ???
All iv got for paper work is airbag deployment that's it

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
Ok, my S212 E250 was serviced back in July at North Wales Mercedes.
At the service they wanted to update the ECU software as part of the emissions recall. I said no and had to sign off a waiver covering MB in case of damage due to me refusing the updated software.
I had the car remapped at Celtic Tuning, so I didn't want that messed up. However, during the service they send a video thru to me showing the work in progress, this is a live feed. Toward the end of the service the technician connected a laptop to the obd port to run software updates he said. I went over to the viewing windows as banged on them to get his attention. He came out to me and at that point made it clear I didn't want the software update due to the car being remapped.
He told me that it's just as well I made that clear as the software patch would auto install if the vin number of the vehicle matched the recall database.
So much for telling the service manager and signing a waiver

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
You saw the DPF as present when you removed / replaced your exhaust.
If the DPF was present then it follows that it hasn't been mapped out and was functioning correctly when you took the motor in for the recall.
If there was any fault on the DPF system you would have known about it.

Now they say there is a DPF issue and even that the DPF isn't present.

It doesn't add up.
The dealer isn't likely to tamper with your DPF, and you expect their storage to have enough security in place to prevent anyone else doing so.

You might have trouble proving the DPF was functional as the software history of any claimed remap will be wiped, and there would need to be a remap if the DPF had been removed, as they say has been.

I would be tempted to ask them to prove it has had the DPF removed as you seem covinced it was there and if it was it must have been working as designed.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did the op see inside the dpf? The dpf pressure sensor detects if it’s blocked and also if it’s empty.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Why did the car need a new exhaust when you bought it? You say you saw the DPF and the filters inside but did you see the exhaust filter put that same unmodified DPF onto the car?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom