Foot brake tends to stick slightly.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Hi chaps,
What's the best way to tackle a sticking handbrake / footbrake. When I park up at night I apply the foot brake then I go to it the next day turn car pull the handle to release the parking brake and the car sometimes doesn't move I have to give it a little movement then a little jolt happens to free it up then all seems well. I'm thinking the caliper piston is seizing up. What do you think the best way to tackle this is and any instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It won't be a caliper piston as the parking brake doesn't use them.
There is a pure mechanical linkage from pedal to drum brake shoe (inside the rear hub). The usual issue is a sticking pedal or sticking linkage under the rear seat area.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Get under the panel and apply a penetrating spray to the workings as you press and release the footbrake. Maybe nip up the handbrake shoes and aim for 8 clicks should improve it alot.

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Get under the panel and apply a penetrating spray to the workings as you press and release the footbrake. Maybe nip up the handbrake shoes and aim for 8 clicks should improve it alot.
Funny enough I counted the clicks last night at it was 8 exactly. How do you get to the panel?

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
I've got a similar problem with my foot brake. When I pull the handle the warning light doesn't go out immediately. Sometimes I have to pull a couple of times for the warning light to go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Once you've got it sorted stop using the parking brake - my smart used to stick, cleaned it stopped letting it rust on overnight and not had an issue since - autoboxes (assuming parking fairly level) don't suffer from being put in park.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
linkages .. take it to bits clean lube ,simples in my experience this is not unusual

as above i dont use mine much anyway P is pretty effective

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Once you've got it sorted stop using the parking brake - my smart used to stick, cleaned it stopped letting it rust on overnight and not had an issue since - autoboxes (assuming parking fairly level) don't suffer from being put in park.
I disagree. Use it or lose it.
If you use the parking brake regularly it won't get sticky nearly as quickly as if you don't. I'm not a fan of leaving a car sitting only on the park pawls in the gearbox.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Funny enough I counted the clicks last night at it was 8 exactly. How do you get to the panel?

Push the seat back. Get in the car and bend your back and neck where the pedals are and look up .

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've got a similar problem with my foot brake. When I pull the handle the warning light doesn't go out immediately. Sometimes I have to pull a couple of times for the warning light to go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull the pedal up with your foot. Or spray the workings as mentioned and free it up.

CowleyStJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz E63s, Old knackered G wagon
If you don't use it regularly it'll start sticking.
You can lift the foot pedal with your foot, this'll release it fully.
Start using it a lot and it'll start working ok.
Mine was doing exactly as yours does, leading to an MOT failure. Mechanic sprayed silicon spray on back of release lever and pedal linkages to free it all up.
I now use it, even if not on a hill, and it works beautifully. These things don't like not being used

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I disagree. Use it or lose it.
If you use the parking brake regularly it won't get sticky nearly as quickly as if you don't. I'm not a fan of leaving a car sitting only on the park pawls in the gearbox.
I use it regularly in driving and parking during the day, I just never leave it on overnight or for an extended period. Had a few issues with them sticking on in the past, not had an issue with it not working or sticking with my method.

If you go to any auctions and watch the cars being brought in the number with stuck parking brake shoes is high, into reverse and skid it backwards to free them is the standard operating procedure for auctions.

OP
Dean Fletcher

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I use mine everyday I live in a slight hill so need to have it on. Some days it's fine and other it's not so good. I'll have a look at the panel when I get time. I checked the foot pedal this morning and it bounces back like a virgins erection. :D

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
All my autos have had their hand/emergency brake tested regularly every year for MOT. ;)
The only car I've recently had a sticky hand brake on was my previous 451 Smart & that was used every day .... the shoes themselves stuck in the drum.:confused:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Actually ..... :) the electric parking brake on my W166 ML uses the disc & pads .... There's no drum, which surprised me.o_O

hopeful

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk cdi2.7 auto coupe 2005
There is a pure mechanical linkage from pedal to drum brake shoe (inside the rear hub). The usual issue is a sticking pedal or sticking linkage under the rear seat area.

as lostkiwi said adjustment under the seat ,brush it out liberally spay and check the return spring has not snapped ,easy fix if it has ( prise the remains away ,drill a hole in panel opposite the adjustment nut rearwards and attach a spring to the front cable mech

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW

lift back seat in mine ,,there’s a inspection plate in the centre with a few studs around it once off you can see the linkage.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom