Cyclist/Scooterists with no lights.....(rant)

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
What the actual ****!?

Since the clocks changed, it has become more noticeable.

I'm sure it is a problem everywhere, but here in London the roads are littered with cyclists and scooter users all over the roads with no or inadequate lighting.

I wonder what the statistics of accidents with cyclists and no lights are..

Supposedly the police do enforce this, but i've never seen any cyclists being pulled over. Look at what would happen a motorist caught driving around with out lights.

I genuinely don't understand it, because let's face it.. if car meets bike, it will always be the cyclists that get's injured.

To make matters work, if there was any kind of campaign to force cyclists into proper behaviour.. all we would hear is how "they are all anti cycling..".

I'll stop now and pour a scotch... it's Friday!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Irish Whiskey is also available and a lot of it is very good indeed (21 year old Bushmills)

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Irish Whiskey is also available and a lot of it is very good indeed (21 year old Bushmills)

Thats true.. but I don't really like the Irish stuff as much. That said, I haven't tried that many brands. I do like the Jameson Crested 10 and their Stout Caskmates version.

..Or maybe that was an offer I need to take you up on some time ;)

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
some car drivers are as bad just driving with front marker lights on ..... oblivious to the fact there are none on at the back

True but not that many, compared to cyclists. And if somebody hits you in the car, you will likely be ok. Not the case on a bike.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280

Not just Irish - have you dicovered Welsh (sounds sacriledge I know, but I was surprised!)

Penderyn in the name. Not checked recently, but they do/did a taster kit to get you interested.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Not just Irish - have you dicovered Welsh (sounds sacriledge I know, but I was surprised!)

Penderyn in the name. Not checked recently, but they do/did a taster kit to get you interested.
I have and it’s eminently drinkable

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Rogue cyclists are my nemesis, I live in constant fear of them since.... A couple of years back at around 6 am I was hit hard at 90 degrees in the front offside wing by a suicidal hooded beardy weirdy rucksack wearing knobhead on an unlit bmx coming downhill on a footpath that crossed the entrance to a roundabout on a dual carriageway, he went up the "A" pillar the and over the roof before falling to the road, the bike went under the front wheel of my car puncturing the tyre, I thought I had killed him. I stopped the car and got out expecting to see a blood spattered corpse, cyclist then jumps up and starts apologising profusely and offers payment for the damage to my car , I said "don't worry you're probably concussed" and told him to sit down while I called an ambulance. By now the drivers of the two cars behind me had got out and were also trying to persuade him to sit down and accept help, he then proceeded to hobble off down the road dragging what was left of his mangled bike behind him, the three of us couldn't quite believe what was happening, one of the two drivers phoned plod & directed traffic around me whilst I fitted the spare and waited for the ambulance, it was all quite bizarre. I've no idea if the police or ambulance ever found the chap. I am pretty sure he was either ****ed or of his head on weed.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Interesting.. i've just tried Irish, Scotch, Bourbon and Japanese.. Must try the Welsh stuff.. it is closest afterall :)

Rogue cyclists are my nemesis, I live in constant fear of them since.... A couple of years back at around 6 am I was hit hard at 90 degrees in the front offside wing by a suicidal hooded beardy weirdy rucksack wearing knobhead on an unlit bmx coming downhill on a footpath that crossed the entrance to a roundabout on a dual carriageway, he went up the "A" pillar the and over the roof before falling to the road, the bike went under the front wheel of my car puncturing the tyre, I thought I had killed him. I stopped the car and got out expecting to see a blood spattered corpse, cyclist then jumps up and starts apologising profusely and offers payment for the damage to my car , I said "don't worry you're probably concussed" and told him to sit down while I called an ambulance. By now the drivers of the two cars behind me had got out and were also trying to persuade him to sit down and accept help, he then proceeded to hobble off down the road dragging what was left of his mangled bike behind him, the three of us couldn't quite believe what was happening, one of the two drivers phoned plod & directed traffic around me whilst I fitted the spare and waited for the ambulance, it was all quite bizarre. I've no idea if the police or ambulance ever found the chap. I am pretty sure he was either ****ed or of his head on weed.

If we wasn't messed up before the crash, he certainly was after, by the sounds of things. He must have been in complete shock and not thinking straight. Sorry to hear about that dreadful experience.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
What the actual ****!?

I'm sure it is a problem everywhere, but here in London the roads are littered with cyclists and scooter users all over the roads with no or inadequate lighting.

Supposedly the police do enforce this, but i've never seen any cyclists being pulled over. Look at what would happen a motorist caught driving around with out lights.

I genuinely don't understand it, because let's face it.. if car meets bike, it will always be the cyclists that get's injured.

To make matters work, if there was any kind of campaign to force cyclists into proper behaviour.. all we would hear is how "they are all anti cycling..".

Relaxing techniques????

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
My own experience as a cyclist. I have two lights on the front, one flashing and the other steady. Two lights on the back, one flashing. Fluorescent yellow jacket and fluorescent yellow ankle bands. Car approaching a T junction doesn't stop and knocks me down. I'm unhurt but shocked. Pick myself up and go to the drivers window to remonstrate. 'I'm so sorry' says the driver,'I just didn't see you.'
'But I look like a f**k**g Christmas tree going down the road!'
'I know, but I just didn't see you.'

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My own experience as a cyclist. I have two lights on the front, one flashing and the other steady. Two lights on the back, one flashing. Fluorescent yellow jacket and fluorescent yellow ankle bands. Car approaching a T junction doesn't stop and knocks me down. I'm unhurt but shocked. Pick myself up and go to the drivers window to remonstrate. 'I'm so sorry' says the driver,'I just didn't see you.'
'But I look like a f**k**g Christmas tree going down the road!'
'I know, but I just didn't see you.'

That's a shame.. sorry to hear. What a clown of a driver.. he didn't see you because he wasn't looking, only explanation.

I cycle too and always have lights and reflective gear. Like I have always joked, if you hit me...just don't say you didn't see me!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

yr lucky he has not reappeared with his ambulance chaser lawyer.....

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
time to tax cyclists over 18 for sure many mods made to roads for their benefit and 50% dont follow rules of road, should sit theory ,just like the rest of us..

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
What the actual ****!?

Cyclists without lights are everywhere, it's a long time since I have seen a bicycle with adequate lights that's for sure !! :rolleyes::mad:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Interesting.. i've just tried Irish, Scotch, Bourbon and Japanese.. Must try the Welsh stuff.. it is closest after all :)

Welsh stuff is 'orrible as is the English stuff. Even though the head distiller at the Norfolk English Whisky Distillery is the guy from Laphroaig, I think his name is Iain Henderson so really it should have been good when in fact it is very rough. Irish are one's I like a lot !! :)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
prob still get blamed for flattening them even with lights. in france however it happens the car is at fault.ie pays fr it. cos its the car thats insured .

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
prob still get blamed for flattening them even with lights. in france however it happens the car is at fault.ie pays fr it. cos its the car thats insured .

That is outrageous! Defies logic.

flying haggis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 plate CLS shooting brake,2.2D SWMBO has 14 plate B class diesel
time to tax cyclists over 18 for sure many mods made to roads for their benefit and 50% dont follow rules of road, should sit theory ,just like the rest of us..

and have insurance, which is proven by wearing a hiviz vest with ins policy number on it, there fore no vest= no ins =pull by police

Top Bottom