nearly bought an e-class convertible

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
spotted a 2011 e200 drop top in silver , blue roof , AMG kit etc , black leather , 39k on the clock , it had been repaired but was only front bumper and lights as I asked for pics of the pre repaired car , no airbag damage so was looking good , I didn't bid on it due to the fact I thought it would go for around 8500 judging on what others were fetching , it sold for 6500 on Thursday night :shock:, then I get a direct message from the seller saying the sale had fallen through and would I like to purchase the car , so I sat and scrutinised the pics ( I was in Kent so a good 3 1/2 hours drive away ) if I was going to commit I didn't want to go all that way to find it wasn't right , I just didn't like the flanks , the paint just didn't look as crisp as star silver should so I made the decision to turn it down , gutted in a way as it was bang on in most respects but hey ho

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
spotted a 2011 e200 drop top in silver , blue roof , AMG kit etc , black leather , 39k on the clock , it had been repaired but was only front bumper and lights as I asked for pics of the pre repaired car , no airbag damage so was looking good , I didn't bid on it due to the fact I thought it would go for around 8500 judging on what others were fetching , it sold for 6500 on Thursday night :shock:, then I get a direct message from the seller saying the sale had fallen through and would I like to purchase the car , so I sat and scrutinised the pics ( I was in Kent so a good 3 1/2 hours drive away ) if I was going to commit I didn't want to go all that way to find it wasn't right , I just didn't like the flanks , the paint just didn't look as crisp as star silver should so I made the decision to turn it down , gutted in a way as it was bang on in most respects but hey ho
Always a bit suspicious when a sale "falls through" on a car. Could be all sorts of reasons of course, but could be that the winning bidder turned up and found a thinly disguised wreck. Probably wise to steer clear on this one, as you have done.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I think the Mantra still stands ‘never buy unseen’ it generally ends in tears unless it’s bargain basement stuff and what you get is what you expect or better

There are exceptions of course. A colleague of mine bought a 2016 C300 Coupe from Edinburgh unseen as he lives here in Suffolk. He bought the car because of the spec, he said the original owner must have ticked every option box there was !. He spent the day driving up there and returning on the following day. The car turned out to be a cracker and he is extremely happy with the car. :)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
There are exceptions of course. A colleague of mine bought a 2016 C300 Coupe from Edinburgh unseen as he lives here in Suffolk. He bought the car because of the spec, he said the original owner must have ticked every option box there was !. He spent the day driving up there and returning on the following day. The car turned out to be a cracker and he is extremely happy with the car. :)

You are more likely to be satisfied at the top end of the market there are always those that find the trade-in they are offered not to their liking and offer the car for sale with the balance of manufacturer’s warranty I’d be tempted in that situation

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I think the Mantra still stands ‘never buy unseen’ it generally ends in tears unless it’s bargain basement stuff and what you get is what you expect or better

Tough call. For years, my partner and I bought UK cars sight unseen for export to Malta, where we sold them on. We bought both from auction (using a spotter) and privately. There were several hiccups, but none major. The usual grouse was that the aircon didn't work. UK drivers don't seem to use their aircon, so the seals dry out and the gas escapes. Not a big deal.
Always go with your gut feeling.

... and this was our mantra throughout. It worked well for us.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
You
You done the right thing

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Sold two cars over the last couple of years, one on EBay which was a 210 estate and the other a Focus 1.8 diesel on AT. The 210 went within 5 minutes of the ad going live on EBay and the AT sale went through within a week. Both genuine cars and problems listed if any, the 210 was bought unseen at £1200 and the Focus was viewed as expected by the purchaser and sold for £2950. In both cases the cars were sold for the right money relative to age condition and mileage my point being beware bargains they might turn out to be anything but

Last edited:

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Destiny I call it, odd the original sale fell through and you got called, was you second in the line of bidding. If not I would be suspect. Better you didn't get it IMHO

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom