Adaptive multi beam LED headlights problem

OP
D

Digsy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLB 200D Executive
following up on the points you raise above....

OK, that all sounds plausible. By the way, you do know you can impart this information without telling me I am an idiot for simply switching off my AC in every single reply, don't you?

Anyway, as I said right from the get-go I had figured out this was something to do with misting even if the pattern wasn't very consistent. I shall endeavour to leave my AC on now that it is truly cold and damp and see if things settle down.

What I haven't heard from anyone yet is something like "Yeah, mine does that if you don't leave the AC on all the time" or "Mine has never done that and I do/don't leave the AC on)."

@rfo65: That's interesting information, and what I would expect, really. It really shouldn't rely on the cabin conditions to make sure that the screen in front of the camera is clear.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
What I haven't heard from anyone yet is something like "Yeah, mine does that if you don't leave the AC on all the time" or "Mine has never done that and I do/don't leave the AC on)."
I don't have adaptive or auto anything in my 210 but when I get in the car first thing 30 seconds after switching on the windscreen mists then clears a minute later exactly for the reason I gave earlier.
The r230 does similar (and that has auto wipers, climate and headlights but NOT adaptive).

Jkh112

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Bluetec estate
Mine has never done that and I leave the AC on in auto mode.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
...without telling me I am an idiot for simply switching off my AC

I have a mate that works in the HVAC / BMS industry, yet he turns off his AC every 3 miles then moans about the problems it causes... and won't listen

I shall endeavour to leave my AC on now that it is truly cold and damp and see if things settle down.

when truly cold (below 3C) AC turns off on all cars to reduced the potential of evaporator freezing causing serious damage. Around this temp air is too cold to hold moisture so misting tends not to happen.

What I haven't heard from anyone yet is something like "Yeah, mine does that if you don't leave the AC on all the time"

Mine never mists, I haven't ever turned AC off in a car for over 15 years

or "Mine has never done that and I do/don't leave the AC on)."
I see the problem on ALL cars when the AC is used intermittently

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Mine has never done that and I leave the AC on in auto mode.

Rodwell

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 A250 amg
I seem to be having a recurring issue with the adaptive headlights on my new C class.

When I set off home from work in the evening, the adaptive main beam works fine. Then after a few miles, I get the "adaptive headlights camera obscured" warning (I cannot remember the exact wording). Then after ten minutes or so more it rectifies itself.

I checked the cameras today and I am pretty sure that the camera housing is misting up on the inside. I think this is happening when I get into the car and switch on the heating. After a short drive the air inside the camera housing gets warm enough to condense against the windscreen (which is still relatively cold). After a few more miles, the windscreen itself has warmed up sufficiently that the misting clears itself.

It didn't do this when the weather was warmer, which I think also lends weight to this theory. But it seems like a pretty basic and avoidable issue.

Anyone else noticed a similar problem?
Hi, I have the same problem I bought an
A 250 amg 18 months ago ,no problem all summer then in the winter on dark and damp nights the lights were not working as they should so took it in for a repair .. no difference... but was ok all this summer but to my great disappointment it had returned lately so took it back last week for an upgrade ?
with a letter explaining my concerns about damp and a photo of the display showing camera obscuered .. it wasn’t..that evening same problem , it must be the damp, the technicians probably thought I was mad ! any ideas folks 28E5212E-C0A6-4E9D-ABA3-D3DEBC4AFCD4.jpeg

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Camera view restricted would appear to be specific to the windscreen.
Both of mine have wires heating the windscreen around the camera, does your's work?
Have you had the windscreen replaced?
Only other time I've had a problem was with a dodgy battery, but that said the light system was not avialable.
Yours appears to be windscreen specific.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hi, I have the same problem I bought an
A 250 amg 18 months ago ,no problem all summer then in the winter on dark and damp nights the lights were not working as they should so took it in for a repair .. no difference... but was ok all this summer but to my great disappointment it had returned lately so took it back last week for an upgrade ?
with a letter explaining my concerns about damp and a photo of the display showing camera obscuered .. it wasn’t..that evening same problem , it must be the damp, the technicians probably thought I was mad ! any ideas folks View attachment 63427
Clean the windscreen top centre directly opposite the rear view mirror. If that doesn’t work...

the car is telling you that the multifunction camera can’t see the road. That’s usually due to dirt or ice externally, but could also be condensation or some foreign object internally.

So, the mirror trim/ surround has to come off. You can be brave and do that at home, or bite the bullet and take the car into a main dealer for it.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Is it me or does that warning message look like Collision Avoidance symbol rather than lighting?
upload_2020-11-17_7-27-16.jpeg

Mike Smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 C200 Estate AMG line plus
I have a 2019 C200 and get the same issue.
After about 5 mins of driving I get the High Beam Assist not available then about 7 mins after that it starts working again.
My Climate is on auto all the time so A/C never turned off.
Surely there must be a solution to this.

Top Bottom