Simple solution: Remove alloy wheels stuck/seized to hub

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hi guys,

Was doing a little work on the car today and was having an awful time getting the wheels off.. they were seized, which is quite common.

This also worked on the rears a few months ago, so thought I would share as it might help somebody out.

It was quite simply really.

• Keep one wheel nut in the wheel/hub - 50% closed. This will prevent the wheel falling unpredictably.
  • Lay on back in front of wheel
  • Place a foot on each side of the wheel (left / right)
  • You are now laying down at 90 degrees / perpendicular to the car with both feet on the wheel. One on the left hand side and one on the right hand side.
  • Bang your feet on the wheel one side at a time..imagine like a spoiled child might do when they don't get their way.
  • After a few bangs the wheel should loosen.
This seems to work really well and is easy. Simply standing up and kicking one side at a time just doesn't work. I think it's the rapid banging on both sides just works the seized material apart.

As follow up work, to prevent future seizure - clean rust with wire brush wipe down with brake fluid and add anti-seize grease before replacing the wheel.

This is a simple hack but I don't often get to share any tips :)

...And no, I don't have a video of me doing this :p

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Block of wood and 3lb lump
Hammer. Repeat until wheel is loose

I actually was trying that.. and I am sure it would work but it was quite loud and I am already conscious of my car repairs in residential area where it is forbidden. But yea is also a good solution.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Used both methods and both effective.
A word of warning about antiseize compounds like copper grease - do not apply to the face of the hub. Only apply to the inside of the hole in the center of the wheel.
Think of the wheel hub interface as a clutch and the bolts as the clamping force on the clutch. The bolts are not intended to transfer power, that's done via friction between the wheel and hub.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Block of wood and 3lb lump
Hammer. Repeat until wheel is loose

Not sure a block of wood would be soft enough to not damage a rim .... :confused:

Years ago my numpty brother in law asked me to look at his car. The long story short was that he'd run out of front pads miles ago, the rim was full of rusty lining etc and the wheel wouldn't come off. The wheel was eventually parted from the hub by slackening all the nuts off by a turn .... launching the car at one end of the drive & standing on the brakes, a loud bang later & the rim let go of the hub!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Not sure a block of wood would be soft enough to not damage a rim .... :confused:

Years ago my numpty brother in law asked me to look at his car. The long story short was that he'd run out of front pads miles ago, the rim was full of rusty lining etc and the wheel wouldn't come off. The wheel was eventually parted from the hub by slackening all the nuts off by a turn .... launching the car at one end of the drive & standing on the brakes, a loud bang later & the rim let go of the hub!
I’ve no damaged one yet, but I accept your concerns. Nice soft wood and very hard hammer

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Take all bolts out and slowly let the jack down works.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used both methods and both effective.
A word of warning about antiseize compounds like copper grease - do not apply to the face of the hub. Only apply to the inside of the hole in the center of the wheel.
Think of the wheel hub interface as a clutch and the bolts as the clamping force on the clutch. The bolts are not intended to transfer power, that's done via friction between the wheel and hub.

Siiigh, is this for real? I added anti seize to all the face (red) and rim of hub (blue). How bad is that? I have seen it done that way many places online.. (I know that's not authority, but if it's common can't be too bad).

:(

annotated-IMG_20191110_114210.jpg

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Siiigh, is this for real? I added anti seize to all the face (red) and rim of hub (blue). How bad is that? I have seen it done that way many places online.. (I know that's not authority, but if it's common can't be too bad).

:(

View attachment 53876
Yes for real.
Around the blue is all you should do.
It's not the end of the world but it does stress wheel bolts more.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
I’ve had to loosen wheel bolts a few turns then slalom a car down the street before to loosen stuck wheels...

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I tend to paint a smear of anti-seize on the face of the hub too ..... by rights you shouldn't grease wheel bolts/nuts, but I give them a wipe of anti-seize too as in the past I've struggled to remove bolts/nuts on cars where they've been dry & rusty.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes for real.
Around the blue is all you should do.
It's not the end of the world but it does stress wheel bolts more.

Hmm..ok. Well, it's unfortunate to have done it wrong.

I can undo and scrape off if needed, but if it's not the end of the world then I will leave it.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
So at home, with all tool's available, Car jacked up on stand's, remove all wheel nuts except 1, which will be unscrewed out a few thread's. Long wooden plank, "Whack" to the bottom of the wheel on the tyre, turn wheel a bit, "Whack" again, turn wheel again, "Whack", repeat until the wheel loosen's. Then really good wire brushing on the hub, and the same on the wheel center . Light greasing on the hub and wheel center, and that's it.:geek:.
BUT!!! in real Life situations, it will be Night time..( and it will be cold wet and windy )...The torch you keep in the boot for emergency's will have a flat battery, so you will have to work by the light of the traffic passing by..That's when your ingenuity will be tested !!! :cool:

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So at home, with all tool's available, Car jacked up on stand's, remove all wheel nuts except 1, which will be unscrewed out a few thread's. Long wooden plank, "Whack" to the bottom of the wheel on the tyre, turn wheel a bit, "Whack" again, turn wheel again, "Whack", repeat until the wheel loosen's. Then really good wire brushing on the hub, and the same on the wheel center . Light greasing on the hub and wheel center, and that's it.:geek:.
BUT!!! in real Life situations, it will be Night time..( and it will be cold wet and windy )...The torch you keep in the boot for emergency's will have a flat battery, so you will have to work by the light of the traffic passing by..That's when your ingenuity will be tested !!! :cool:

Or the phone reception as you call breakdown assistance :cool::)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Or you just pump that gunk into the wheel....:mad:. Both our cars have no spare.....

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
if this happens to me i back off the bolts/nuts by a few threads then drive the car in a circle ,lock to lock backwards forwards , has always worked the tyre scrubbing action loosens them .

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom