SLK as second (Non daily commuter) car?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Nothing personal Helen, just a reference to the group that used to trade insults etc a few years ago! As I said, I miss the craic from those days. Anyway, both wife and I are OAP's and fast approaching triannual driving licence renewals!:(:(

Already done mine :(:(

OP
T

Teri De

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK
I’m new to this folks, so is it normal to have these non-related private conversations on my thread?

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
It does happen all the time and not really a problem imho .
But a bit ironic that someone that complained on another thread , is Guilty of it on this one :rolleyes:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Guilty as charged m'lord! Apologies, but Helen used to be a frequent and amusing poster in the Bin, disappeared, re-appeared then disappeared again some years ago.

First impressions having collected the SLK today - get one with electric preferably memory seats. Depending on how tall you are, the storage area behind the seat is small to non existent, but the access with manual release of the seat back is a bit of a PITA and you have to re-set your comfort position each time you've released the seat back. After the 968 cab 2+2 with the seat back release near the top of the seat back and the set position adjuster under the front of the squab, I find the SLK method rather bad.

Leather seats - heated seats is a must have, they're lovely compared to the unheated leater seats in the 968. Think airscarf will also get a big thumbs up from herself although not tried it roof down yet. Main comment from herself is that the airscarf outlet is too high up, but then she's only 5'3 tall - I've offered to get her a booster seat, you can guess how that went down!:oops::oops:

Satnav screen down low compared to up high in the S204 is not great, you have to take your eyes off the road to glance down at it. I'm actually considering a Brodit dashboard mount for the TomTom Go6000 I had in the 968. Also don't like the Comand controls on the dash compared to the twist wheel of our S204.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The airscarf section moves up and down with the headrest. I guess you’ve already got it set at the lowest setting.

Theres more space behind the pax seat and a small net area

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
The airscarf section moves up and down with the headrest. I guess you’ve already got it set at the lowest setting.

Theres more space behind the pax seat and a small net area

Thanks BK, still on the very steep part of the learning curve, will investigate tomorrow. However, although wife is only 5'3" tall, she always has to have the passenger seat as far back as it will go, I will have to try to convince her to have it a little further forward so she still has loads of legroom and ease of access/egress but also has some space behind the seat for jacket etc.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Guilty as charged m'lord! Apologies, but Helen used to be a frequent and amusing poster in the Bin, disappeared, re-appeared then disappeared again some years ago.

First impressions having collected the SLK today - get one with electric preferably memory seats. Depending on how tall you are, the storage area behind the seat is small to non existent, but the access with manual release of the seat back is a bit of a PITA and you have to re-set your comfort position each time you've released the seat back. After the 968 cab 2+2 with the seat back release near the top of the seat back and the set position adjuster under the front of the squab, I find the SLK method rather bad.

Leather seats - heated seats is a must have, they're lovely compared to the unheated leater seats in the 968. Think airscarf will also get a big thumbs up from herself although not tried it roof down yet. Main comment from herself is that the airscarf outlet is too high up, but then she's only 5'3 tall - I've offered to get her a booster seat, you can guess how that went down!:oops::oops:

Satnav screen down low compared to up high in the S204 is not great, you have to take your eyes off the road to glance down at it. I'm actually considering a Brodit dashboard mount for the TomTom Go6000 I had in the 968. Also don't like the Comand controls on the dash compared to the twist wheel of our S204.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Snap :D Ours is the same, Mrs 00slk is 5'2 and the air scarf blows the top of her head. I said to her I'll get you a booster seat!! Yep same response :mad: We don't move the seats as there's no point with the non existent storage behind them, but I have found that if I adjust them back after the Mrs 00slk has been out in it the seat gets so far back and the back rest alters to a more vertical position and moves forward again, though I found it just a little cramped for my legs comfort, but still enjoy driving the SLK. The air scarf is superb when it's really cold and you brave it with the top down ;) Don't have a problem with the sat nav being low down as I never watch the road anyway.............:shock: It's more important to gaze at the lovely place to be seating :cool:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I’ve a fire extinguisher, torque wrench, water bottles, hats, scarves, hi-viz vests all behind my passenger seat. The seat is all the way back...

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I’ve a fire extinguisher, torque wrench, water bottles, hats, scarves, hi-viz vests all behind my passenger seat. The seat is all the way back...

Gosh, we certainly can put anything behind ours although the manual pack sits on the floor behind the passenger seat, might have to have a proper look on Wednesday.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
I had a quick look at the space behind my seats in the R172 and I could probably just squeeze a "wafer thin mint" a la Monty Python french waiter / Mr Creosote sketch. There's a little space at floor level but the seat recline angle blocks easy placement and retrieval. That's one thing I have noticed about a two door / 2 seater as a daily driver - I can't just open a rear door and throw my stuff on the back seat!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had a quick look at the space behind my seats in the R172 and I could probably just squeeze a "wafer thin mint" a la Monty Python french waiter / Mr Creosote sketch. There's a little space at floor level but the seat recline angle blocks easy placement and retrieval. That's one thing I have noticed about a two door / 2 seater as a daily driver - I can't just open a rear door and throw my stuff on the back seat!
You could, but it would be in someone else's car :rolleyes::D
I find from the drivers seat I can reach over the armrest and down the back of the passenger seat for water / hat / scarf etc with the seat all the way back.

OP
T

Teri De

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK
Anyone ever seen the Scotty Kilmer car videos on YouTube? They’re very good and very funny. But he absolutely hates and slates Mercs and BMs. He calls them ‘Money Pits’ . One of the reasons he claims them to be so expensive over time is the fact of over 80 separate computer components compared to Toyotas and Japanese. He acknowledges the quality interiors and safety etc but seems to think ownership is a costly nightmare. I really like the SLK R172s but this costly repair issue is a bit scary. But I’m wondering a) Is that the experience of other late model SLK owners here (13/14/15) Reg? B) Is it something I shouldn’t worry to much about as it will be a second (weekend, runs out) car?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anyone ever seen the Scotty Kilmer car videos on YouTube? They’re very good and very funny. But he absolutely hates and slates Mercs and BMs. He calls them ‘Money Pits’ . One of the reasons he claims them to be so expensive over time is the fact of over 80 separate computer components compared to Toyotas and Japanese. He acknowledges the quality interiors and safety etc but seems to think ownership is a costly nightmare. I really like the SLK R172s but this costly repair issue is a bit scary. But I’m wondering a) Is that the experience of other late model SLK owners here (13/14/15) Reg? B) Is it something I shouldn’t worry to much about as it will be a second (weekend, runs out) car?
Stop reading and go and enjoy one :D

I drove mine for nearly 6 hours yesterday through some very interesting weather down the M1 in Yorkshire, no issues at all.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

I have never really gelled with him, same as Doug DeMuro or any of the American reviewers actually, except Jay Leno strangely :rolleyes::)

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I’ve a fire extinguisher, torque wrench, water bottles, hats, scarves, hi-viz vests all behind my passenger seat.

Wow, are you expecting trouble BC ? :eek: My SL has an iphone charger, and that's it. Mind you the fire extinguisher fits under the passenger seat. It comes as standard in the 230.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
The latest SLKs look bigger than the old ones to my eye, I often mistake them for SLs. Maybe the OP should consider an SL as well ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow, are you expecting trouble BC ? :eek: My SL has an iphone charger, and that's it. Mind you the fire extinguisher fits under the passenger seat. It comes as standard in the 230.
6P’s :D:p:cool:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom