W211 Instrument Cluster Dead + headlights on??

Pete1970

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 cdi 2002
Dead instrument cluster!!!

I now have the same problem with my instrument cluster going dead.
Can I solve it by simply replacing the whole cluster??

uknokianut

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI , 2006
I now have the same problem with my instrument cluster going dead.
Can I solve it by simply replacing the whole cluster??

Did you replace your cluster ? Did it work ?

Mine is doing the same as above but tried re-soldering the pins but it didn't work .

Snow Mouse

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 E320
Hi folks. I have a 2009 W211 E320 cdi and had the same problem after a torrential rainstorm.
The instrument cluster was dead as a dodo, car started, drove OK but the headlights stayed on, windows went up & down and central locking no problem.
I checked the fuses, all had current, none blown.. When I lifted the bonnet/hood I found that some old leaves and dirt from the storm had clogged the drain in the centre (between the 2 wipers) and at each side.
The water had run over the rubber seal that separates the engine compartment and over the surface of the fuse box on the left side, I opened it up and everything was perfectly dry.
I then removed the cabin pollen filter on the right side and the filter housing/box, below it is the ECU unit.
4 short cables come out of the ECU to a black plastic connecter plug. I could see where the wires from the ECU entered the black plug so I used a vacuum to suck away any moisture from where the wires entered the plug, I then reversed the vacuum hose and blew warm air onto the end of the plug. Then I sprayed it with WD40 and wiped off any excess, after leaving it for 30 mins I then applied PVC pipe repair sealant/glue to seal around and waterproof where the ECU wires entered the plug.
I reassembled everything, cleaned the water drains and left it overnight.
Next morning turned the key and BINGO ! The instruments began resetting, after 5 minutes I started the car and its run perfectly since.
I can't guarantee that it will fix everyone's car as this was just my own experience.
I hope it helps someone somewhere.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
I've got a horrible feeling this is going to happen to me next! I don't trust the W211!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi folks. I have a 2009 W211 E320 cdi and had the same problem after a torrential rainstorm.
The instrument cluster was dead as a dodo, car started, drove OK but the headlights stayed on, windows went up & down and central locking no problem.
I checked the fuses, all had current, none blown.. When I lifted the bonnet/hood I found that some old leaves and dirt from the storm had clogged the drain in the centre (between the 2 wipers) and at each side.
The water had run over the rubber seal that separates the engine compartment and over the surface of the fuse box on the left side, I opened it up and everything was perfectly dry.
I then removed the cabin pollen filter on the right side and the filter housing/box, below it is the ECU unit.
4 short cables come out of the ECU to a black plastic connecter plug. I could see where the wires from the ECU entered the black plug so I used a vacuum to suck away any moisture from where the wires entered the plug, I then reversed the vacuum hose and blew warm air onto the end of the plug. Then I sprayed it with WD40 and wiped off any excess, after leaving it for 30 mins I then applied PVC pipe repair sealant/glue to seal around and waterproof where the ECU wires entered the plug.
Next morning turned the key and BINGO ! The instruments began resetting, after 5 minutes I started the car and its run perfectly since.
I can't guarantee that it will fix everyone's car as this was just my own experience.
Welcome

Adamk12

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 cdi
Further update.

After removing instrument cluster and getting it on the bench I split the front and rear plastic casing to expose the inner workings of the cluster. A quick inspection revealed nothing of note. A quick continuity test showed no real problems. No sign of any circuit board damage or component distress.

I then removed the central PCB to expose the back of the connector pins and re soldered all of them. I reassembled everything and then applied power to the assembly as if it was in the car with the ignition off. The clock immediately sprang into life and reset itself to 12 noon. It then started running in normal time. I then applied the switched 12 volt and the cluster illuminated and sprang into life. Various messages appeared on the central display consistent with the absence of the CAN bus.

I will reinstall the cluster in the car tomorrow and see what happens. At the moment it is looking promising. The cluster was dead as a Dodo before removing it from the car. To be honest I don't think I have really fixed anything. Possibly the movement of the PCB has made good a bad connection, or maybe disconnecting the PCB has caused a reset of sorts? Anyway, will update further tomorrow. :eek:

I know this is an old post but I have read almost every thread online to no avail, cluster is dead as a dodo. However many people have also been fortunate to get the cluster to fire back to life in various way. Could you explain how to power up the cluster once out of the car and what tools I would need?

Thanks

Kenneth Tan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2009/Diesel
I hope some people are still interested in this question.
Yesterday also my W211 E220 2009 instrument Cluster was dead.
Had it parked at the airport for 5 days and after returning the instrument cluster was dead. Also Airco display.
Checked the battery voltage 12,25V. Opened the airfilter for the second battery, but there was no Aux battery there. Some other device with cooling fins.

Any suggestions?
BTW, the clock had stopped at 10:44. The next morning the time on the clock was 12:03. Now, many hours later the time is 13:23... so the clock is creeping forward very slowly.

Going to check Fuses 43 and 44 next.

Kenneth Tan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2009/Diesel
I hope some people are still interested in this question.
Yesterday also my W211 E220 2009 instrument Cluster was dead.
Had it parked at the airport for 5 days and after returning the instrument cluster was dead. Also Airco display.
Checked the battery voltage 12,25V. Opened the airfilter for the second battery, but there was no Aux battery there. Some other device with cooling fins.

Any suggestions?
BTW, the clock had stopped at 10:44. The next morning the time on the clock was 12:03. Now, many hours later the time is 13:23... so the clock is creeping forward very slowly.

Going to check Fuses 43 and 44 next.
Fuses were good and this morning openiung the car door I saw that the dashboard is working again.

People have mentioned that the grounding straps could be loose or corroded. What grounding straps could they mean?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
12.25v is very very low.
A healthy battery will read 12.6v, a bad one 12.4 or less.

Adamk12

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 cdi
Would love mine to randomly start working again. Have checked and tried everything.

Wessiderules

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class w212 face-lift 2015

Hello Sir, please advise if this Is the filter on top of the battery you are talking about or inside the cabin above passenger footwell. I don't seem to get to this connector you have mentioned. Many thanks.
Any pics would def. Help.

Adamk12

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 cdi
After reading every thread online about this common issue, I was almost at the point of sending the cluster off to and electronic expert as I had literally tried everything. I was fortunate enough to have another w211 E class so last thing I tried was to swap out the clusters in each car. In hindsight I should've tried this first but was convinced it was something simple. My cluster was dead as a dodo, it didn't work in the working car but the one in the working car worked fine in my car. I noticed my cluster upon opening it up had a lot of moisture/condensation. I left it in my house for a few days to dry out. I knew this would be a long shot but it was a long shot that worked. It sprung back to life straight away once I plugged it in and has worked since.

Give it a try,

hopefully this can help someone.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Get yourself a dessicant bag and pop it by the cluster. Only £7 or so from Amazon.

RustyTeapot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 CLK270CDI
Hi,

I have the EXACT same problem like the OP, caused by the exact same sequence of events...Flat battery but dashboard was ok of course it wouldn't start, jump started from another car, dashboard dead with headlights on but switch at 0. Except mine is a 2002 CLK 270 cdi but I suppose very similar to the E class from that era. Checked the fuse seems ok, upon re-inserting it I could swear the dashboard or part of it flashed on for 0.1 second, certainly the parking brake light (kinda hard to miss) but that was that.

Still waiting for my new battery (covid times etc.); meanwhile I had to jump start again - still no dashboard. Is there a way to do a 'hard reset' without taking out the whole cluster and doing the electrical shenanigans as I suspect it's messed up rather than screwed up and I don't want to turn it into an ornament by trying to fix it myself with my non existing skills.

Thanks

Adamk12

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 cdi
Hi,

I have the EXACT same problem like the OP, caused by the exact same sequence of events...Flat battery but dashboard was ok of course it wouldn't start, jump started from another car, dashboard dead with headlights on but switch at 0. Except mine is a 2002 CLK 270 cdi but I suppose very similar to the E class from that era. Checked the fuse seems ok, upon re-inserting it I could swear the dashboard or part of it flashed on for 0.1 second, certainly the parking brake light (kinda hard to miss) but that was that.

Still waiting for my new battery (covid times etc.); meanwhile I had to jump start again - still no dashboard. Is there a way to do a 'hard reset' without taking out the whole cluster and doing the electrical shenanigans as I suspect it's messed up rather than screwed up and I don't want to turn it into an ornament by trying to fix it myself with my non existing skills.

Thanks

How did you get one with this? Mine went again and am baffled what to do next

RustyTeapot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 CLK270CDI
How did you get one with this? Mine went again and am baffled what to do next

I took the dashboard out and brought it to a guy who fixes them. He told me the main circuit board had gone and it would be £250 to repair. When I got it back it was working but the SRS red lamp is on and the fuel and temp gauges are now halfway filled with solid black instead of the usual black bars to indicate levels and I think they're showing wrong anyway; temp is at 90 even when the car is ice cold.

If you can, have it inspected by someone who knows what they're doing but if there's an issue with the dash itself, well you decide if it's worth repairing but don't expect a 100% result. Don't buy a new/2nd hand one because they need to be reprogrammed for the specific vehicle which is again rather expensive (very few people even possess the necessary equipment) and still not guaranteed to work 100%.

Piccyman

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 C219
I now have the same problem was working on Friday afternoon after collecting form valet, dead sunday morning.
Instrument cluster dead, A/C display dimmed, headlights on and when locking the car the wing mirrors don't close (mirrors work ok with buttons).
I have removed the instrument cluster and checked the majority soldering for dry joints, would be nice to know the pins and polarity to power the cluster up, all fuses are ok, checked all locations, also put in new battery just in case
i will have a look at the cabling near the ECU (under the pollen or ac filters) i guess, anyone have any other ideas.
Also the buttons on the steering wheel don't work either, i tried the volume +- and nothing.

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom